none
DWM.EXE and MAXIMUM WORKING SET

Question

• Desktop computer built for me with selected components. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 + all updates. 4 mb RAM + Quad Core Processor. Dual monitors using ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics card. Conventional sata drives. Latest BIOS and drivers installed.

I am investigating a low Reliability Analysis Score that is getting progressively worse. Intermittent performance issues like Windows Live Messenger failing to always automatically log in. A wireless keyboard that loses it's connection, which is restored if you briefly move the keyboard into line of sight of the USB dongle. An internet connection that suffers from occasional failures and is restored usually by restarting the computer. Those are the more obvious problems.

No Blue Screen of Death errors. No significant Event Viewer error reports. The only persisent error is one associated the Printer Spooler and printing of pdf files / some internet pages which is readily fixable until the next time. No Device Manager errors.

Using AVG Free 2012 and SuperAntiSpyware with Malwarebytes in support. Malware incidents rare and none for sometime.

I always update Windows manually and have only ever had a temporary problem.

Research has brought me to dwm.exe, which Process Explorer shows as having a Maximum Working Set of 2,097,152. Other fluctuating figures are Virtual Size 136,652, Working Set 35,488 and Private Bytes 34,960. What I do not understand is why the Maximum Working Set is so out of proportion to the figures for other processes. This led me to resort to Google where I discovered others had the same question. Mention was made of changing themes from Aero to Windows Basic. This I have tried before knowing about dwm.exe and it does not appeal  so I am interested in knowing whether the high maximum working set is a symptom of my problems and what I can do about it.

An obvious question is would an extra 4 gb of RAM change the situation or is there a bottleneck somewhere else?

TIA

Hope this helps, Gerry
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• There is no valid reason for you to increase the memory on your machine, unless you are receiving a low memory warning when having applications open.

I currently run my work machine on a custom scheme with all (fancy) features disabled e.g. performance mode.

I currently have 5+ windows open and my dwm.exe results are commit (KB) 1280, Work set (KB) 4056, Private (KB) 976

As you can see it is highly dependant on the aero theme and how many windows you have open at once.

Regarding some of the issues you've mentioned. Windows live messenger won't automatically login if its unable to connect to the MS servers. You could always delay the application slightly and see if that makes any difference.

The wireless keyboard seems to be a problem with the devices e.g. the dongle and keyboard rather than windows specifically, i would suggest testing them on another machine and see if the same problem happens.

The internet connection failure is an interesting one which would require further diagnostics to resolve. when it happens see if you can ping websites/IP addresses. Try using ipconfig /release, Then ipconfig /renew and see if it works after that.

Finally one final suggestion, this is a precautionary measure more than anything else. Run a memory test.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:24 PM
  • The Internet Connection has been resolved by my ISP Technical Support. It became obvious when I noticed this morning the same problems on a second computer connected to the router. It failed three ping tests droping al packets. The Engineer reset the Windows Firewall and the Router and it nows seems to be resolved. However, the problems was intermittent but it became increasingly frequent before I contacted my ISP. My feeling is that resetting the router was what did the trick.

We need now to see whether the Reliability Analysis Score improves. Perversely it did improve marginally this morning despite the increase in internet connection problems. It still a poor score.

Do you have any comments on the dwm.exe high maximum working set?

I had previously run a RAM test.

Hope this helps, Gerry
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Bump

My primary question has not been answered. Can any one please help?

Research has brought me to dwm.exe, which Process Explorer shows as having a Maximum Working Set of 2,097,152. Other fluctuating figures are Virtual Size 136,652, Working Set 35,488 and Private Bytes 34,960. What I do not understand is why the Maximum Working Set is so out of proportion to the figures for other processes. This led me to resort to Google where I discovered others had the same question. Mention was made of changing themes from Aero to Windows Basic. This I have tried before knowing about dwm.exe and it does not appeal so I am interested in knowing whether the high maximum working set is a symptom of my problems and what I can do about it.

TIA

Hope this helps, Gerry
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Bump.

Does no one know the answer?

TIA,

Gerry

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:21 PM
  • I'd like an answer too.  I have a related concern posted here: http://superuser.com/questions/423130/quad-monitors-and-dwm-resource-errors

...stephen

Friday, May 11, 2012 3:29 AM
  • Stephen

The other issues mentioned earlier have been resolved but the disproportionate Maximum Working Set remains. I still have no understanding why this is so.

Since I posted here last I have added 4 gb RAM. AMD have made two significant updates to my graphics drivers. No change to dwm.exe.

I had not made a connection to the number of  monitors? Is there one?

AMD HD5700 series graphics card here. Yours looks to be either the same or similar. Does this have any significance?

Hope this helps, Gerry

Friday, May 11, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Gerry,

As best i can remember, i do not log any errors when running just two monitors (2x1920x1200), in extended desktop.  Currently, i'm running two HD7770 (3 monitors), and still log errors, and receive pop up messages suggesting to revert out of aero and back to basic. 

Re: DWM Maximum Working, i noticed the number scale in correlation to graphics card memory being used.  I observed this running Process Explorer along side Gpu-z, but I don't know if it went above 2GBs.  From what i've read, this value is dynamic and tied into the total system ram as well as the video card ram, and it is not controllable by users, such as ourselves.

*also, i was using a couple DVI-d dual link cables.  i swapped them all out for DVI-d single link; no change, so don't waste your money.

...stephen

Monday, September 03, 2012 2:16 PM