none
Upgrade from x32 bit to x64 bit.

Question

•      I have a Gateway computer running Windows Vista 32 bit which has all requirements now for x64 bit Windows 7.  Is there anyone who can give me a direct answer if I can do a direct upgrade from Windows Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit?  They are stating from Microsoft that both the 32 and 64 bit are included in the Windows 7 box.
         Even the Windows upgrade advisor states I have everything needed to run Windows 7 64 bit, but it does not state that I can use the Windows 7 64 bit software.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

upgrading from 32 to 64 bit is not supported due to the differences in architecture. If you want to use 64bit on your machine you have to make a clean install.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

upgrading from 32 to 64 bit is not supported due to the differences in architecture. If you want to use 64bit on your machine you have to make a clean install.

Greetings

Christian
    Christian Groebner MVP Forefront
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:18 PM
  • As was previously mentioned you can't upgrade, however you will be able to migrate a lot of your settings over using the Transfer Files from another computer wizard, or USMT which is part of the Windows AIK (WAIK).

Here is a link to download the WAIK Remember that this is a tool kit geared for advanced users, and IT shops. It's not designed for typical end users. So if your a power user type who wants to learn about the great tools in this kit make sure to READ the documentation. There are also some great videos available in at

www.microsoft.com/springboard

Daniel Nerenberg MCT MCSE MCITP MCTS MVP
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:29 PM
  •    Thanks very much Christian.  Where can I find what the Clean Install entails and how much trouble is this procedure?

Thanks Again
    Ray
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 3:33 PM