none
Windows 7 64-bit SP1 failure to install

Question

• I tried to install Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (SP1). Everything appeared to have gone well until the system rebooted and when applyting the updates (Applying update operation nnn of 316581) I got this error:

Error C000009A applying update operation 115991 of 316581 (\Registry\...)

My system has updated all Microsoft update releases and scans (full scan) weekly without ever having had an error.

So now what?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:17 AM

Answers

• Thanks to the advice of many here and on other forums, I was finally able to install W7 64b SP1.

Here is how:

1. Do a normal shutdown and then bring the system back up;

2. Go to Start and right-click on Computer. Then click on Properties. If you see (4th or 5th line down) Service Pack 1, then you are done. Presumably you will not see that line.

3. It is the Language Display packs that create the problem.
    Go to Start, Control Panel, Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Install/Uninstall Languages > Uninstall display languages. Then click EVERY language there, except English. Then uninstall. This process will take about 1 hour, maybe longer.

4. Your computer will probably reboot after this process is finished, but if not, do a reboot.

5. Go to Start, Control Panel, Windows Update. You should see SP1 still listed there. Click on it and install it. All (or most) of the files that SP1 needs for its configuration are already in place from your earlier failed install, and the installation will go faster than the first time. The process does have (heart stopping) pauses, where it seems that nothing is happening, but just be patient and let it go through its paces. The system will reboot when the blue line is all the way to the right, and Windows 7 will come up, and will continue to configure SP1, so it is a slow process.
    You will, however, not see those fast-moving lines: "Applying update operation nnn of nnn" until an error stops the process, but instead there will be a "nn% complete" display. Let it do its thing without interference. This also will take some time.

6. You may confirm that you now have SP1 installed by repeating step 2 above.

7. You can now also re-install one or more display languages by repeating step 3, and after clicking on Install/Uninstall languages, install the languages you need.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to the resolution of this issue. I continue to be appalled by the complete lack of any response from Microsoft. But it is par for the course. Why Microsoft decides to ignore their customers' problems is a wisdom that only they understand.

• Marked as answer by joev7777x Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:49 AM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• By the way, after the error, I had to stop the computer by holding down the "on" button, and upon restarting the system, the error correction routine did roll back correctly, and the system restarted after 1 hour and 15 minutes - which is slightly longer than the "few minutes" the error correction program states it would take.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:21 AM
  • this happens if you have several MUI packs installed.

boot from the Windows 7 DVD or Windows Recovery Environment (F8)[1] and run the command prompt and run this:

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

(replace C: with the drive where you installed Windows 7)

This reverts all pending operations. Now you should go back to Windows 7 RTM.

now, remove all extra MUI packs, install the Sp1 and install the Sp1 updated MUIs from Windows Update.

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:12 PM
  • As far as I know, I have no Multilingual User Interface packs installed. And I am wondering, if that would create the specific error message that I received, wouldn't all users in all countries other than English-speaking ones get this error?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Are you back on RTM? Was the rollback successful?

If yes, please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi logs from the folder C:\Windows\Inf and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log " to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:13 PM
  • So, if you know for certain you haven;'t installed any MUI's - and this exact error occurs...what then? And why on god's green earth is Win 7 all of a sudden using the dreaded Service Packs? This was something I loved about Windows 7...up until today when I was prompted to install this damn SP1 - now my whole PC crashed, won't reboot, won't let me run repair mode, and crashes when you try and restart. Maybe time to switch back to Apple again - their hardware might suck, but their software doesn't ever do this crap.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:25 PM
  • have you tried the DISM command?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:33 PM
  • I have not tried the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command, as I don't know enough to understand what it does. I hate playing software developer with a system that is supposedly tested and tried and found infallible, or at least nearly so. We have a similar situation with another (and obvious) problem with Windows Explore in W7. That one has remained unanswered for over a year.

It is beyond comprehension why the world's foremost doftware developer - with all the responsibilities that this entails - releases software that DOES NOT WORK. I can understand small and esoteric bugs here and there, and I certainly forgive them for not aways covering all possible security holes, but to release a major software change (W7 SP1 is certainly that) and not having tested it sufficiently is unforgivable and irresponsible. It is also inconceivable that they didn't know about this bug; I found it on the first try. Maybe I should play the lottery tonight.

And what about the countless lost hours of productivity dealing with this mess? Can I send an invoice somewhere?

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:48 PM
  • the command tries to undo the Sp1 installation.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:55 PM
  • Against my better judgment, but after seeing that my backups now have more than 100,000 additional files (which probably deteriorate performance, at best), I ran DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

and got errors. It's absolutely unbelievable that Microsoft isn't monitoring this and other forums and isn't publishing solutions to these problems. These are its own forums, after all. Are they giving up on operating systems? If so, why not make a simple confession that their interests have shifted. At least then we can make informed decisions. This is starting to look like the Toyota floormats.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:24 AM
  • I had the very same problem as joev7777x.... 

I dutifully tried the suggestions in the knowledgebase article for this problem several times and nothing worked.

On a hunch, I tried the same fix that worked for me on the similar windows update installer issue with Vista that caused the blank windows features dialog screen (how many hours of sleep did I loose over that one.... lol!!!) and it worked like a charm!

Hopefully this will work for you:  Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64 based systems (KB947821).  This will take some time to complete, but let it work... it may be able to fix some errors and save you some time manually editing the registry.  When the hotfix installer completes go to "C:\windows\logs\CBS\" and open the CheckSUR log in notepad.  You should see some corrupt windows update installer package registry keys such as this from my log:

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
    (f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x80070026 servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB2467659~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.mum  Line 1: X_

Note that the offending windows update installer package in my case was KB2467659...  Make sure that you are logged in as an administrator and launch regedit.  Make a backup of your registry on a flash drive then search the registry for the windows update installer package (ie KB2467659) and delete all the instances of this corrupt installer package.  You will have to right-click on the registry key or string and select "permissions" and take ownership of the file to allow you to give yourself full permissions so you can delete the registry key and or string values.  There may be several instances and make sure that you do not delete a registry key that contains registry keys or values for other installer packages and do not change the ownership or permissions for keys or string values that you are not deleting... unless you change the ownership back to SYSTEM when you have deleted the corrupt string values - be careful when you are editing the registry....  You should find the corrupt installer package(s) under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages" but it is easier to let the search scan the registry keys for you.  It only took about 10 min. for my system to scan the registry... not too bad considering how long I have already spent up to this point.

When you have deleted all corrupt registry keys, close the registry and either lauch windows update or launch the standalone installer....  Hopefully it will work for you.

Friday, February 25, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Further to the exhaustive explanation given by GordonS1 above, I just have one question for Microsoft: Is it your business plan to have end-users do these kinds of things? Just asking.

Friday, February 25, 2011 2:47 PM
  • you can also contact the support for free about update/sp1 issues:

Get Help Now

Contact a support professional by E-mail, Online, or Phone

We are an user are helping other users forum, no offcial support.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Well said joev7777x

I spent hours trying every fix suggestion I could find. The only thing that worked was to do a repair install of the OS by running the installation DVD and choosing the "upgrade" option. Two hours later I was prompted to install some 60+ updates. 2 hours later that was done and finally I was prompted to install the SP1. After another 2 hours I finally had a proper install. This was not an isolated incident by any means. 3 out of 3 failures in my household and 1 for 1 failure of my daughters 1 month old laptop. Oh well, at least now when I go to the system information page I get to see the words "Service Pack 1" on the screen. A complete disaster IMO.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:10 PM
  •  A complete disaster IMO.

no, the PCs run with Sp1 now. A disaster would be you lost all data and had to install everything again.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:17 PM
  •  

Microsoft wants money to help with THEIR problem.

Support Options

Select a support option

Response time

Cost

Contact method

Available

<input id="container_RevisedSO_rbPPICallBack" class="wfxRadioButton" checked="checked" name="container$RevisedSO$GroupEntMediumType" type="radio" value="rbPPICallBack" />

4 to 8 hours

$259.00

Callback (schedule by using Web)

Monday - Friday 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M.
    Saturday - Sunday 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
    Hours

<input id="container_RevisedSO_rbPPIOnline" class="wfxRadioButton" name="container$RevisedSO$GroupEntMediumType" type="radio" value="rbPPIOnline" />

1 business day

$99.00

Always

<input id="container_RevisedSO_rbPPIPhone" class="wfxRadioButton" name="container$RevisedSO$GroupEntMediumType" type="radio" value="rbPPIPhone" />

Varies

$259.00

Callback (schedule by using phone)

Monday - Friday 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M.
    Saturday - Sunday 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
    Hours
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:04 PM
  • the link is free. I checked it:

Select a support option
    Response time
    Cost
    Contact method
    Available
    <input id="container_RevisedSO_rbPIDLessOnline" class="wfxRadioButton" name="container$RevisedSO$GroupEntMediumType" type="radio" value="rbPIDLessOnline" />
    1 business day
    No charge
    Always

I linked the Windows Update support which is free about Windows Update issues (which should also cover Sp1 released on WU).

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:26 PM
  • Yes but after a 6 hour ordeal that nobody should have to go through. What about people that are not computer savvy? What about those future software releases that say you must have Service Pack "X" installed before proceeding? Go to any of the independent support blogs and you will see post after post of Service Pack 1 failures but not one known fix that works consistently except for the re-install of the OS. I stick by my statement.
    • Marked as answer by joev7777x Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by joev7777x Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:43 AM
    Friday, February 25, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Thanks to the advice of many here and on other forums, I was finally able to install W7 64b SP1.

Here is how:

1. Do a normal shutdown and then bring the system back up;

2. Go to Start and right-click on Computer. Then click on Properties. If you see (4th or 5th line down) Service Pack 1, then you are done. Presumably you will not see that line.

3. It is the Language Display packs that create the problem.
    Go to Start, Control Panel, Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Install/Uninstall Languages > Uninstall display languages. Then click EVERY language there, except English. Then uninstall. This process will take about 1 hour, maybe longer.

4. Your computer will probably reboot after this process is finished, but if not, do a reboot.

5. Go to Start, Control Panel, Windows Update. You should see SP1 still listed there. Click on it and install it. All (or most) of the files that SP1 needs for its configuration are already in place from your earlier failed install, and the installation will go faster than the first time. The process does have (heart stopping) pauses, where it seems that nothing is happening, but just be patient and let it go through its paces. The system will reboot when the blue line is all the way to the right, and Windows 7 will come up, and will continue to configure SP1, so it is a slow process.
    You will, however, not see those fast-moving lines: "Applying update operation nnn of nnn" until an error stops the process, but instead there will be a "nn% complete" display. Let it do its thing without interference. This also will take some time.

6. You may confirm that you now have SP1 installed by repeating step 2 above.

7. You can now also re-install one or more display languages by repeating step 3, and after clicking on Install/Uninstall languages, install the languages you need.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to the resolution of this issue. I continue to be appalled by the complete lack of any response from Microsoft. But it is par for the course. Why Microsoft decides to ignore their customers' problems is a wisdom that only they understand.

• Marked as answer by joev7777x Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:49 AM
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 1:46 AM
  • joev7777x,

Glad you got your rig fixed by deleting the language packs but it isn't the answer to all failures. I have Win7 Home Premium 32 bit which does not even have an option to add or remove additional languages.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:22 AM
  • One more thing. After the successful install of SP1, I planned to do a full backup. Usually, I restart my system before doing a backup, and so I did tonight. I was surprised to see a "Configuring Windows; do not turn off your computer" message coming up. It took about an hour to go through that process. So, be forewarned, be patient.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:34 AM
  • Crocodile-Mick,

Sorry to hear that. It once more clearly illustrates that Microsoft does a less than adequate job in testing their releases. I would imagine that they, on their campus, have all kinds of computers and installations of software, and there should be a corporate mandate that until all their computers successfully update new software releases, the releases are not cavalierly pushed upon the world at large. Microsoft seems to not ever have learned the truism that with enormous power comes enormous responsibility.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:40 AM
  • I did hear from Microsoft this morning.

Their response is something like "Well, I don't know the answer to that problem, but let me tell you what I do know."

Floopy disk, anyone?

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows 7 Email Technical Support. My name is Sai Teja, and I would be happy to assist you. For reference, here is your service request number 1149719330.

From your description, I understand that you got an error after installing sp1.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

Please be assured that we will do our best in assisting you with this issue. During the course of troubleshooting, if we find that the issue is with a Non-Microsoft hardware or software, I would be guiding you to the right person who could assist you better on this matter.

Please follow these steps, and do contact us if you have any questions.

Step 1:-

Check in safe mode after disconnecting external devices.

In order to isolate the issue, let us start the computer in Safe Mode and check if system boots fine.

Note: Safe mode loads only minimum drivers and services. As network adapters do not work, you will not be able to access Internet in this mode. Also, display appears bigger as display adapters are disabled.

Steps to boot the computer in Safe Mode:

1)   Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer by pressing power button. Also, disconnect all external devices.

2)    Do one of the following:

a)  If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

b)  If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3)    On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode option you want, and then press Enter.

4)    Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

If issue persists, please proceed with Step 4. If you are able to boot into safe mode, please follow the steps listed below:

Step A: Perform clean boot.

Clean boot:

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 7 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot". A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Note: If the computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps.

We strongly recommend that you do not use the System Configuration utility to modify the advanced boot options on the computer unless a Microsoft support engineer directs you to do this. Doing this may make the computer unusable.

1.  Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2.  Click Start, type “msconfig.exe” (type without quotes) in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

3.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

4.  On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.) 5.  On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

Note: Following these steps lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.

Click OK, and then click Restart.

Try to check if you can boot in normal mode.

If it works fine, it means the non MS Program is interrupting. To find which program is causing this issue, execute Action 1 to Action 6 to find which application is causing the issue and uninstall it.

Action 1: Enable half of the services.

Action 2: Determine whether the problem returns.

Action 3: Enable half of the Startup items.

Action 4: Determine whether the problem returns.

Action 5: Resolve the problem.

Action 6: Reset the computer to start as usual.

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

How to set your computer back to boot normal:

1.  Click Start type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3.  On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

4.  When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Please look at this link for more information http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you still find difficulty in booting into normal mode, please proceed with Step B.

Step B: Perform Hardware Clean boot.

Hardware clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running with minimal hardware (disabling Display adapter, network adapter and sound card devices) so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which hardware of the normal boot process are causing problems.

1.      Click on “Start button”.

2.      Right click on “Computer” menu and choose “Properties”.

3.      Click on “Device manager” option in the left pane.

4.      Right Click on Sound Card, modem, Network Adapter, Display Adapter, CD/DVD drive and click disable. (If you are playing game online, please do not disable network adapter)

5.      Restart the computer and check for the issue.

6.      Then enable the drive one by one to determine which is causing the issue.

7.      Once you found the device which is causing the issue, please uninstall and reinstall the driver for the device and check for the issue.

Note: It is always recommended to install driver from the computer manufacturer website. Please download and install the driver from the manufacturer Website.

Microsoft doesn’t recommend you to leave the computer in Hardware clean boot mode. So, please set your computer to normal boot mode after performing the troubleshooting steps by enabling all the devices.

How to set your computer back to boot normal:

1. Click on “Start button”.

2. Right click on “Computer” menu and choose “Properties”.

3. Click on “Device manager” option in the left pane.

4. Right Click on Sound Card, modem, Network Adapter, Display Adapter, CD/DVD drive and click Enable.

Step 4: Try last known good configuration.

The Last Known Good Configuration feature is a recovery option that you can use to start your computer by using the most recent settings that worked. The Last Known Good Configuration feature restores registry information and driver settings that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully.

Steps to boot the computer in Last known good configuration:

1)  Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer by pressing power button.

2)  Do one of the following:

a)  If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you'll need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

b)  If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3)    On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Last Known Good Configuration option you want, and then press Enter.

I eagerly await your response after you complete the trouble shooting steps.

Please reply to us with the status of the issue after performing these steps. If the issue was resolved, please let us know the steps (Step1, Step2, etc...) that resolved the issue. If the issue remains unresolved and if any error message pops-up while performing the above steps, please reply to this mail with the specific error message for further research. Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. We’ll respond in the next 24 Hours once we get a reply from you.

Note-

• In order to ensure proper delivery of your response, please verify that the Email address in “To” field and the Subject are not modified or deleted.
    • Kindly provide us your US/Canada Phone number and a preferred callback time, so that we can contact you if required regarding this issue.

I look forward to your reply!

Sai

Technical Support Officer

Microsoft Windows Online Support

Microsoft Main Support Telephone Number: (800) 936-5700

Microsoft Main Support hours

Monday through Friday - 5:00am - 9:00pm Pacific

Saturday and Sunday - 6:00am - 3:00pm Pacific

Email: v-2saib@mssupport.microsoft.com

If you have any feedback, comments, or suggestions regarding Microsoft support, we would like to hear from you. You may reach me by responding to this message. You may reach my manager by sending an email to the following address:

v-2amarc@mssupport.microsoft.com"

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:04 PM
  • This is not the way I expected to spend my Saturday & Sunday watching this computer trying to correct all the damage that was done by automatic Win 7 SP1 updates.

Getting the same C00009A fatal error 120231 of 338685, but in my case I lost restore points before yesterday when this nightmare began also lost internet connectivity, both wireless & wired, I have Win 7 Ultimate with all the language packs, I have deleted those & now it's in the process of system recovery at the last restore point, which was yesterday with the attempted install of Win 7 SP1(it's actually been more than an hour already)........hoping not to have to clean install entire O/S. Why would a service pack update destroy a stable system because of language packs & why would Microsoft not warn people about such consequences?

HP Pavilion G71-358NR Windows 7 & 64 bit Ultimate
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hang in there; don't give up (unplug). My system also runs Ultimate 64bit, preinstalled by Dell. Why they loaded all those language packs is unclear to me, but on the other hand, how could they have known that Microsoft apparently didn't count on that. Let me know how you make out.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Going into the 2nd hour of watching System Restore......Restoring files. I had my desktop(which is being used to type this) install SP1 in less than 30 minutes, it's got Win 7 Pro 32 bit. I will not put it on the netbook until I see the results of trying to fix the HP laptop........patience........patience..........I'll probably end up being a patient in the mental ward before this is over.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Would you be so kind to post the URLs of these forum sections?
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:17 PM
  • They are there, simply click on them ... I advise you to read all of them ... It may take 30 minutes or so, but well worth it!
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Doesn't work - pages not found.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:38 PM
  • They work here ... I don't know what to tell you:

Error C000009A applying update operation 119595 of 334565 (\Registry\...) when loading SP1
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/cad66cc7-9912-4cbe-898f-ad8ff9344308

Fatal Error C000009A applying update operation [number] of [number]
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproSP/thread/7f2e7326-43e9-468d-af57-bc53ae0a63f0

C000009A error on Win 7 SP1 install
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/b69a067c-487d-43a2-b748-44dd6a402522

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 failure to install
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/5d46d261-fa59-425d-825f-d25f14be0802

History - Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Error C000009
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/community/history/ff817622%28v=WS.10%29.aspx?id=21

Error C000009A applying update operation 118743 of 336226 (\Registry\...)
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/e42de28a-e719-4eb2-9ec1-0ec6b988b8c3

Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:42 PM
  • System restore failed, wireless connection-IPv4 Connectivity: Not Connected; IPv6 Connectivity: Not Connected Signal Quality: Excellent...........Looks like I need to re-install O/S, because this is a joke.
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 11:26 PM
  • Sorry to hear that. It's a real mess.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 12:54 AM
  • Same thing happened to me, complete reinstall, back to hp factory settings, dv6-2190us. took hours of updates, finally got back to sp1.  same exact result, same exact error, same exact update stalled on.  I got no clue.  I used to enjoy MS.  But if everytime they come out with something they are going to ME-it up/ Vista-it up, I'm switching. Their business model must look like a polished turd.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 2:10 AM
  • It looks like Microsoft has come to a point in their operating systems where so much has been added, and so many "clever" programmers have had a hand in all areas, that they don't remember who did what to what. Agreed, software development of such a gigantic and ever-evolving piece of code is a stunning achievement, but if you lose control of all the intricacies and requirements and traps, you eventually lose it all. That appears to be the case here.
    Monday, February 28, 2011 3:12 AM
  • After reinstalling Win 7 64bit Ultimate & updating many windows updates, SP1 installed without issue in about 30 minutes, maybe less........the wasted weekend correcting the mess that this update caused really should be unacceptable & in my case because of language packs, how do you roll this out without knowing the damage that it's causing on what seems like a global scale, were they really just trying to meet a deadline. I do find Windows 7 to be one of the best O/S's that I have had the pleasure of experiencing over my fairly long life, but the fallout from this update will cause many a lot of grief. Sites such as this are invaluable to everyone worldwide, keep up the great work.
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 4:21 AM
  • Its even more appalling since the issue was known at least a month ago, long before SP1 was GA.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproSP/thread/7f2e7326-43e9-468d-af57-bc53ae0a63f0

Tuesday, March 01, 2011 8:38 PM
  • Hi Joev7777x,

Many thanks for your suggestion, it was the solution to my problem. Uninstalled them all (had put them on just to get rid of the optional updates display and with plenty of Gigs to spare) and all fine when trying again. I did use the standalone package instead of going via MS Update. (Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit).

It is rather concerning that the 'average' computer users probably wouldn't know what to do and will bring upon them all sorts of stress. Windows 7 is a good OS but such hiatus is out of order.

Again, thanks a lot!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Sorry that I am not a computer Geek either, just a desktop PC user for info & recreational use. I just wanted to say!

"GOOD ENDING QUESTION" POW!!!!

PS During the "Good" M.S. Days I used to with work Windows 98,2000. My employer didn't even mess with XP.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Hopefully this will work for you:  Download and run the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64 based systems (KB947821).  This will take some time to complete, but let it work... it may be able to fix some errors and save you some time manually editing the registry. 

I was able to fix the issue simply by downloading and installing the tool mentioned above. After running it and a reboot, I went back into Windows Update and was able to install the SP successfully. Here is the link for the tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20858

I'm not sure if I was having the issue as severely as some other people who posted, so it may not work for everyone, but I figured I'd pass the information along..

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having terrible difficulties getting sp1 to install with Vista Ultimate on my HP G60 Notebook.

Just found your post above about the languages and was really hoping that this might work! Unfortunately it didn't!

I wonder whether this is due to the fact that my Vista Ultimate is a Russian version, and English is on as a language pack? I've uninstalled all other languages, but it won't let me take Russian off, and I can't take English off or I won't be able to understand things properly!! Arghhh!!!!

Any other suggestions?!

I've already done all the steps mentioned here....

www.social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4120f8ff-ae6c-437f-a40d-8d48794d9841/services-pack-1-for-vista-home-premium-will-not-install?forum=itprovistasp

... to no avail.

Chris

Sunday, February 02, 2014 4:35 PM
  • I've been trying for 3 weeks to install Windows 7 sp1, on a computer at work.  I've searched the internet forums far and wide, here's another one to try...let's see if it works.

craziness.

Tuesday, September 09, 2014 3:37 AM