none
Disk initialization fails because of Data Error(Cyclic Redundancy Check).

Question

• I was using Seagate 500GB USB external hard disk for my backup storage. I have upto 300GB of important files which includes family photos, videos, movies and songs.

One day morning when i plugged it into my computer it wasn't show up in explorer while the safety removal icon is show up on tray. In Device manager it is showing that the device is working properly. But in Disk Management the device is show up Unknown and Not Initialized.

When i tried to initialize it shows Data Error(Cyclic Redundancy Check). There was no physical damage on that device before this problem.

Please any one help me to get rid of this problem without losing the data. I need my valuable data.  :(

Thursday, September 29, 2011 2:24 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Based on my research, Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC) is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transferred. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged. If you get this message, it means that the file being read by your PC or software is corrupted. Please check your Hard Disk for errors:

1.    Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then press ENTER.

At the command prompt, type chkdsk /f, and then press ENTER.

Note If you receive a message similar to the following

The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

2.    Press Y, press ENTER, and then restart your computer.

3.    When Chkdsk finishes, close the command prompt.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 03, 2011 6:51 AM