none
Filter manager causing event 41 restarts?

Question

• On both Win 7 RC and Win 7 home premium 64 bit, I have been "enjoying" the sensation of sporadic black screen shut down/restarts.

I ran the RC on my previous system with no probs, but since upgrading my mobo to a Gigabyte X58 udr3, 6gb Corsair ddr 3 and Intel i7 920 processor, I seem to have joined that happy band of people who experience this frustrating occurance.

As I dont get a bsod, I dont even get proper error details, and the bugcheck (which apparantly causes these events?) is 0.

The only link I can make, after rummaging in the event logs, is that exactly 5 secs before every critical kernel power shutdown, the filter manager is up to something.

Any MS boffins out there like to add their thoughts - love Win 7, but this is a tad frustrating!
    Saturday, January 02, 2010 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Swtrains,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, hardware drivers and Windows first.

If it reoccurs, you may try the following steps.

1.    Click Start, right click Computer and click Properties.

2.    Click Advanced system settings and click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

3.    Uncheck the box for Automatically restart and click OK.

What’s the result?

If it still cannot work, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Matt2416 Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:35 PM
    Monday, January 04, 2010 7:50 AM
  • Thanks Arthur
    I can see how the clean boot would help - although with the sporadic nature of the fault, the process of elimination could take many days. But I'll try it!

Can you explain what purpose the unchecking of Automatic restart serves. I am puzzling about this.

thx again!
    Rick
    Monday, January 04, 2010 1:11 PM
  • I would like to check if there is any software conflict. This is why I suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:25 AM
  • OK Arthur, will do. I suspect it will take some time before I get back to this thread. The process of ellimination is slow! I do appreciate your time.

I have disabled auto restart. Will move onto clean boot next.

thx
    Rick
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 8:57 AM
  • I have now gone through the clean boot procedure, disabling startup items in turn, but with no luck. Still Event 41 shutdowns.

So I am now at the stage where I need to start checking the Microsoft services. However, I need a bit more help here. If I disable half of all ms services at a time to narrow down possibilities, will I actually be able to perform tasks on my pc?

If I cant use my pc as normal, I wont be able to reproduce the fault.

Can you hand hold me here, please Arthur?

Thx
    Rick
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:24 AM
  • Hi Swtrains,

I realize that the issue persists in Clean Boot. It indicated that cause is not one of the disabled services or startup items. If so, it is not necessary to disable half of the services to narrow down the causes.

If the issue persists, would you please send me more information for analyzing. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f838e680-7c86-4827-9041-35a67680805b

Password: t7xw#%YEtxR%wmt

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Meanwhile, please note that files uploaded for more than 72 hours will be deleted automatically. Please ensure to notify me timely after you have uploaded the files. Thank you for your understanding.

Event Log

==========

1. Click "Start", input "eventvwr" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

2. Right click on "Application" on the left frame, choose "Save Log file As"; in the pop-up window, click to choose the Desktop icon on the left frame, input "app" in the "File name" blank, and then click “Save”.

3. Right click on "System", with the same method, save it as "sys".

4. Locate the two saved log files on the Desktop and send them to us.

In addition, I also would like to know the result in Safe Mode.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 08, 2010 4:36 AM
  • Hi Arthur
    I have done as requested and uploaded the files from my desktop - I only hope that they transferred to you successfully.

When you say you would also like to know the result in Safe Mode, what would you like me to do here? Operate only in safe mode until the system crashes again, and then send the same files in, or have you any extra instructions that I should follow?

thank you again for your support

Rick
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Hi Swtrains,

Thanks for sending me the event logs.

I can read the Event ID 41: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

I would like to confirm why you suspect filter manager is the cause?

I would like to suggest you run Windows 7 in Safe Mode to check if the issue reproduces?

In addition, what’s the model of your power supply?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:19 AM
  • Hi Arthur

thanks again for your kind attention. I decided to drill down all the logs in Event Manager to see if any other event could be linked to the Event 41 issue. I noticed that in the Windows system logs, always a few seconds before the dreaded kernel power shutdown, the Filter manager had been in operation. Without fail. So my limited knowledge suspected there could be a correlation.

There was no other event that correlated with the random shutdowns.
    I could be way off beam here, though. Your knowledge will tell me that!
    I will try to work in safe mode as you suggest - hope all my programs still work.

The power supply is a BeQuiet 650W, a couple of months old.

Could the intermittant fault be down to, for example, a faulty motherboard, rather than Windows?

Again, thanks for your ongoing interest.

Regards

Rick
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Hi,

Last night, I encountered the same issue, the computer crashed with Event ID 41. I fixed it by updating the BIOS and reset the BIOS to default. If you have not tried it, please try and let me know the result.

Generally, system crashing issues are related to the hardware devices instead of the operating system files. The motherboard components also can cause the similar issues.

In attrition, I would like to confirm the result in Safe Mode.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Hi Arthur
    for the last 3 days I have been working in safe mode for a few hours each evening. There have been no crashes. However, due to the intermittant nature of the problem, that may be simply because whatever causes the crash has yet to occur while in safe mode. However, assuming that I do not get any crashes while in safe mode, what action should I then be pursuing?

I have updated all bios since installation, with no effect on the problem, and I generally run the mobo on default settings.

Is that filter manager connection a non starter?

Many thanks

Rick
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Hi Swtrains,

I don’t think filter manager is the cause. If it is, you may run System File Checker or reinstall Windows 7 to fix the issue.

If it really works fine in Safe Mode, the possible cause can be the hardware drivers. Because in Safe Mode, only the basic hardware drivers are loaded.

The following steps can narrow down the cause, but it is time consuming.

Device Clean Boot

===========

Please unplug all unnecessary devices to test your computer's performance. In this situation, your system will only have the basic hardware devices and it should be more stable.

If it is inconvenient to unplug the devices, we can disable them in Device Manager. Please refer to the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK

5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware such as: Modem, network card, CD-R drive. Please note some devices such as video adapter are not available to be disabled.

Then, restart your computer. Does it still crash now?

If the system is stable, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

If the issue still persists, the motherboard or CPU may have problems. If that is the case, I recommend asking the computer vendor to examine it.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, January 15, 2010 2:58 AM
  • hello Arthur
    Yes, I am inclining towards hardware issues also. Following your bios update advice, I rechecked the Gigabyte site and discovered a new bios update which I downloaded and prepared to install.

However, I also noticed advice from Gigabyte to disable hyperthreading from the cpu before updating the bios. So I did. But then the machine wouldnt even post!
    It powered on briefly, reached the processor check stage, then restarted. It repeated this until I powered off.

Resetting the cmos cured this problem.

As this black screen, restart is my currant issue, I wonder has this given a pointer to where the problem lies? Possibly a mobo fault, or cpu (although given the Intel quality control, I would consider this less likely as an option.)

Have you any thoughts on this, even though we are drifting a bit out of your domain?

As ever,
    Regards
    Rick
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Can the computer boot up normally? Has the BIOS updated successfully?

I have less information about the third part hardware product. I would like to suggest you contact your motherboard vendor to diagnose the hardware issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 18, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Hi Arthur.

Okay - the last bit of advice offered by Gigabyte was the following -

1) Please clear the CMOS by disconnecting the power cord from the power supply, the power connectors from the M/B and removing the CMOS battery for 2 minutes.

Fat chance, I thought, as I had already udated the bios successfully twice. And reset the cmos by the mobo switch.

But, anything to oblige..... so I followed the advice to the letter. And it worked. I can now boot with ht disabled, the machine hasnt crashed since - Im delighted!

But can anyone explain this. plz?

Obviously, I can now understand that the lack of a bsod or crumb trail in the event log suggests a hardware issue rather that software. So Win 7 definately not guilty on this one! None theless, thanks for your patient help Arthur.

I would appreciate suggestions as to why the cure worked, or what the cmos problem could have been.
    Thanks again!
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:07 PM
  • Dont believe it - 5 mins after posting this, machine crashed again!!
    Ho hum
    Friday, January 22, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hi Swtrains,

I am sorry to hear that the issue persists.

You’d better backup all the important files to avoid data loss and reinstall Windows 7 to check the issue. If the issue reoccurs, I recommend you contact the your computer vendor to diagnose the hardware issue.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:36 AM
  • Hey guys - I just bought a new barebone kit with an Intel i5 650 and an Intel DH55HC mobo with 2 2GB sticks of Corsair DDR3 RAM running windows 7 enterprise. All drivers are up to date. I've been troubleshooting a very similar issue - for 2 or 3 weeks now. It will run fine for anywhere from 30 minutes to 10 hours and then the screen will turn to lines and bars - the sound will turn into a a digital stacatto then I get spontaneous reboot - and the same thing is in the logs - filtermanager (File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎07‎-‎13T17:34:25.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager) and  then the event 41 kernal power error. I've tested each memory stick separately and extensively with memtest - no errors.  Any further ideas?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same problem. Running windows 7 x64. System will just go into black screen randomly. CPU would still be running as if nothing happened. I would have to press the reset/restart button on my CPU case. I could be browsing, watching movies, or playing a game. Does not seem to have a pattern as to when it will crash. 

Looking through the event logs, i've noticed a pattern. Just before Event 41, There will always be event 6 Filter Manager  "File System Filter 'BHDrvx64' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎11‎-‎25T13:09:37.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager" twice. Then i assume my PC will be black screened and i'm forced to restart, causing event 41.

Have you guys found a solution to the problem yet? Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hello Arthur
    I have followed your kind advice to the letter - and even resetting the cmos. I finally reinstalled Win 7 64 as per your instructions. Immediately after reinstall, I tried to access the event manager (cant really remember why) and the crash reoccured. It did it in identical circumstances after a reboot. Then, nothing.

I mean, for about the last 2 weeks, no black screen restarts at all. I am puzzled but delighted! I am pleased that you had this problem briefly, as it lets you experience what we are describing. I do not consider it a Windows issue, I suspect either hardware or drivers. But I'm guessing! Lets just hope my luck holds.

Thanks again, Arthur. Appreciate your time
    Rick
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Hi

I have no real answer to the problem, I just wanted to assure you that you not alone. No, not extra terrastrial life  :)  There are so many posts on various forums and help desks about this exact problem and I think I've read every one..twice !

I have been trying to deal with it since August 2010 ! I bought all new parts to upgrade my PC and all was well for a couple of weeks and then the completely random crashes began. The longest it worked without locking up was approx 2 months. I really thought the fixes I tried prior to that period had done the trick. Sadly it wasn't to last. It's baffling how the machine can run perfectly for so long, doing a variety of demanding tasks (CS5, Video editing, games (COD:MW, FIFA 11) without a hitch can suddenly, and inexplicably lock up when the only thing running is my internet browser, or sometimes nothing at all :(
    I have tried every conceivable avenue to fix this problem but have finally succumbed to the sad fact that I will have to replace various parts until I find the culprit. That's if it is hardware related after all !

If after changing memory, mobo and CPU,  the problems still persist, and I haven't pulled all my hair out, then the issue must be Windows 7 driver related.

The event viewer message that occurs before the lock up is a constant for me as well. There must be something in that.
    *File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎07‎-‎14T00:34:25.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager*

The other constant is Windows 7 **64** bit.

Anyway, good luck to you. If you get a permanent fix I would be so greatful if you could publish it here.

My system is:

• Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    • AMD Phenom X4 965 (125 w)
    • ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 (BIOS 1703)
    • PNY 1333 DDR3 RAM
    • Coolermaster 700 W Silen Gold PSU
    • ATI 5770 PCI-E Graphics.

Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

I am having an identical issue with kernel-power 41 crashes and a couple of seconds before each one there is a "File system filter..." has been successfully loaded event.

Does anyone have a solution that relates to the loading of this file system filter?

Cheers jk

jason kinsella
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Does this KB article help?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

also which file system driver was loaded?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I'm getting the same type of lockups. Every time in the event viewer I see the "Filter Manager" information right before my system freezes.

Information    3/15/2011 9:25:46 PM    FilterManager    6    None

File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎07‎-‎13T19:34:25.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Information    3/15/2011 9:25:51 PM    FilterManager    6    None

File System Filter 'MpFilter' (6.1, ‎2010‎-‎09‎-‎14T20:19:28.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Critical    3/15/2011 9:25:51 PM    Kernel-Power    41    (63)

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

New system using Windows 7 Professional x64 and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:57 AM
  • also check the KB article.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:01 PM
  • My problems are no more :)

It came down to the memory. Although all checks were successful, when I replaced the PNY memory for 4GB Corsair Dominator (CMD4GX3M2A1600C9) it has been rock solid for 2 months now.
    I can't claim that every similar problem is memory related, but do check the compatibility of your RAM and especially check the timings/voltage in the BIOS.

G/L

Monday, March 28, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Well, although this thread is a little bit old, i would like to share my experience with who may need it...:

I get a black screen from time to time like you all do and without any apparent reason. The only way to sort this out is by doing a reset. Looking at event viewer, the only thing that windows 7 (x64) reports (after doing a reset) is:

File System Filter 'FileInfo' (6.1, ‎2009‎-‎07‎-‎14T00:34:25.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.

Since i do know that my hard disk has issues (sectors pending relocation), and knowing that my pc was working perfectly before my hard disk started to "die", i do believe that most of this issues are due to a bad hard disk drive. So, if you get this problem, use hddtune (or any other tool that allows to diagnose your HDD..e.g: CrystalInfo;etc) and see if there's anything in the Health section of your HDD...like pending sectors; reallocated sectors; other.

• Edited by Keeper75 Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:32 PM
    Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Hi Swtrains,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS, hardware drivers and Windows first.

If it reoccurs, you may try the following steps.

1.    Click Start, right click Computer and click Properties.

2.    Click Advanced system settings and click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

3.    Uncheck the box for Automatically restart and click OK.

What’s the result?

If it still cannot work, I also would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Seems to have worked for me, thanks  :)

matt_2416

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:35 PM