none
Recycle Bin File Properties Bug

Question

• When I'm getting ready to empty the recycle bin, I find a certain satisfaction in knowing how much hard drive space I'll be freeing up.  However, the status bar at the bottom of the recycle bin does not display total size of selected items, only how many there are.  Taking the alternative approach, nothing happens when I select Properties from the right-click menu while two or more files are selected, while it should be bringing up a window with the cumulative information on the selected files.
    Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:21 AM

Answers

• Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will show you that number.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 12, 2009 3:00 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:17 PM

All replies

• Properties doesn't work for whatever reason when folders or certain file types are selected. I've reported it so I don't think it's going to be changed.

Sunday, June 07, 2009 3:58 AM
  • Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) will show you that number.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Friday, June 12, 2009 3:00 PM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:17 PM
  • This affects Vista too. Sadly, I contacted MS during the RC stage when I discovered this in Windows 7 but got this outrageous reply from Steven Sinofsky:
    For a behavior like this if it is the same in the previous release this isn’t something we would change at this point in the project.  I am sure there is a history and I just don’t know it off the top of my head.  Multiple-select and properties is a complex operation—as I mentioned working across different types is a complex operation with many varying views on what ‘right’ is.

I wonder why it takes so long to fix this. MS only care about support calls. If enough people call for fixing this, only then they'll fix it.

Btw Disk Cleanup doesn't show the selected files. It only shows total size of all files. I would like to know how much free space I am gaining by deleting certain files but ridiculously this bug shows why XP is dominant today.

Anonymuos
    Monday, December 07, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Wow, what a bullshit answer.  So they left the file properties in the recycle bin non-functional... for TWO releases of their OS?  I'd like to know how HUGE one or more files are before I permanently delete them.

"Multiple-select and properties is a complex operation"... BULLSHIT.  It's not a complex operation.  Complexity is a result of confusion, not a cause of it.  That man is confused.  At the very least, it should show a summary containing the total size of all selected files, since they all have a size.  That is a very simple operation.  Furthermore, multiple select + properties works just fine everywhere else, including search results where properties are displayed for multiple files in multiple folders like so "Type: Multiple Types    Folder: Various Folders    Size: xxx.xKB".

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 3:17 PM
  • I wanted to get full size of recycle bin and then searched and found this crappy answers. What the heck I'm paying Windows if they can't sort out this BASIC stuff. They are just full of it. And they want to sell Win8, no freakin' way i'm gonna buy that. Just wasting me time and money.

Ubuntu is free, Ubuntu rules.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 1:38 PM