none
Changing the WELCOME screen

General discussion

• Is it possible to change the default screen or to enlarge the icons and their placement? The WELCOME screen does not appear to be affected by changing various screen mode or size settings. The WELCOME screen (icons) in Vista is much larger and easier to read! Can the Vista WELCOME screen be imported into W7?

Apart from this little annoyance - I LOVE IT SO! (far)
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi - I have not found a way to change the icons or text on the logon/lock screens but you can change the background image which may make things easier for you to read?

If you want to do this:

reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background /v OEMBackground /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

(there appears to be a small bug where Windows 7 sometimes resets this back to 0 at random times)

Create the info/backgrounds folders under %WINDIR%\system32\oobe\ so the full path is :

%WINDIR%\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

Save a jpg image (not tried other formats) called backgroundDefault.jpg exactly 1024x768 in size and less than 250KB in file size into the backgrounds folder.

When you lock your screen or go to the Welcome screen, you should see your image. If not, check the resolution and file size. There are some other resolution/filename options available if you do some searching.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 9:44 PM
  • Thanks, Rob! - but I'm scared to death to change the Registry at this early stage of W7. I'm actually most interested in enlarging the icons rather than changing the text or background image. Meanwhile, I've discovered Vista Start Menu (PRO) which is a good investment for those interested in a Classic Start Menu with Aero and other powerful features!
    Monday, November 02, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Don't be afraid of the registry, it's a big pussy cat really :P
    Monday, November 02, 2009 11:06 PM
  • I believe it's more like Godzilla, devouring countless PCs and OSs for lunch every day for minor offenses like a missing comma or an extra full stop! Anyway, it's BIG and FANCY ICONS I want, in high res, even!
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 4:18 AM
  • We can change the background of the Logon Screen with Rob’s steps. However, the character size cannot be changed. You can get helps from Magnifier. To launch Magnifier, click the button on the bottom left corner.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 8:18 AM
  • It seems like W7 does not 'remember' certain changed Display settings after logoff. The logoff screen itself has the new settings but when logging back in (reboot), everything is tiny again. Is this a 'Design' feature of W7?
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Which settings have you done and will not work after reboot?
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, November 09, 2009 9:08 AM
  • I changed the Display setting to: Custom - 140%. This setting takes effect, including the SHUTTING DOWN screen (enlarged text) but seems to have gotten lost when rebooting and displaying the WELCOME screen.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 2:40 PM
  • I have the same concern about the welcome screen.  Once logged into a user account, everything looks great.  But before logging in, the Win 7 welcome screen has little itty bitty icons to select the user account.  Big huge screen, with tiny icons.  Does anyone know how to make them bigger?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 3:19 AM
  • I imagine there are many W7 users who would like this (minor) problem to be fixed. Look for it in the next MS W7 Update. Also, selection of Desktop Background images is a bit cumbersome. I'm sure that MS will come out with something more elegant in the near future.

We have entered the age of "Elegant Computing" - thanks in no small part to Apple!
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 4:51 PM
  • The Tweaks.com Logon Changer for Windows 7 provides an easy way to customize the logon screen background with just a few clicks. Simply download the free application, run it and click Change Logon Screen.

http://tweaks.com/software/tweakslogon/

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:08 PM