none
Why can't I get Windows 7 to see my second hard drive?

Question

• I had no problems installing Windows 7 after I disconnected my second hard drive. However, after I had windows 7 installed. I could not reconnect my second hard drive. People who build there own systems like myself. Often have at least 2 hard drives. So how can I get my second hard drive added?
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 1:39 AM

Answers

• I had this problem too. The problem (I think) was that it was named C: in WinXP and was covered up by the Win7 boot drive, which took over C. So, through WinXP, I converted it to a dynamic drive and renamed it G:, in hopes that would fix the problem in Win7. I had to do one more step: add a new drive letter in Win7 disk manager. Now its all good.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:01 PM

All replies

• Same here I like the RC but I can't install the video drivers from  the disk, it don't see my second hard drive. There was not a problem with the 2nd drive with XP Pro or Win7 Beta.
    • Proposed as answer by RustyBlade Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:52 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Adam M MCP Monday, June 08, 2009 6:21 PM
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 2:58 AM
  • check the disk management because windows 7 does not display the drive with the same drive letter you have to change the drive letter so that windows 7 will display the additional drives! open the disk management.
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Having a second hard drive hasn't been an issue. What happens when you reconnect it? Does disk management see it? Does device manager see it?
    Monday, June 08, 2009 6:23 PM
  • I have a similar issue.  I installed Windows 7 64Bit RC clean on a new hard drive without my second drive attached.  Once it was installed I shut it down and connected my second hard drive to transfer the data off of it.  I was able to see and access the drive after the first reboot but after that it disappeared.  I can't see it in disk management or explorer any longer.  I haven't had a chance to look further into this because I just installed last night but was hoping somebody had some info regarding this.  The second drive was a XP Pro SP2 32Bit install using NTFS.  I wonder if the file system has anything to do with it.  After the first reboot when I could see and access my second drive Windows popped up a box before I could access the drive that said something like "you do not have permissions to access this drive, do you want to change permissions so you can access this drive?"  I clicked OK or yes and it looked like it was scanning the second drive or something like that for a minute or two but once it completed I was able to access the drive and get at my data... that is until I restarted... me is sad :(
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Does the drive show up in disk management?
    Friday, June 12, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Is it a SATA drive or IDE drive? And what is the transfer mode you set in BIOS, Standard IDE or AHCI? Additionally, please let us know if the disk is recognized in Device Manager.
    Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:29 AM
  • I had this problem too. The problem (I think) was that it was named C: in WinXP and was covered up by the Win7 boot drive, which took over C. So, through WinXP, I converted it to a dynamic drive and renamed it G:, in hopes that would fix the problem in Win7. I had to do one more step: add a new drive letter in Win7 disk manager. Now its all good.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ihjones Monday, October 05, 2009 4:53 PM
    Monday, October 05, 2009 4:49 PM
  • On Windows 7

Right Click My Computer
    Click on Manage
    Computer Management Opens
    Click Disk Management
    Right click on disk that does not show
    Click on Change Drive Letter and Paths
    Assign a new drive letter

You will now see the drive that you couldn't view.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Thanks, I have pondered over this for ages - fixed in 2 minutes
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:43 AM
  • me too, will not show in disk managment
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:47 AM
  • BIOS

ADVANCED SETTINGS(is the option where you set boot priority)

Change HDD BOOT  priority(usually is set by tapping + an - sign) and make sure both hard drives are connecred and recognized by motherboard

restart and let system to run and then youll see if second drive is there

Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:55 PM
  • -Maybe there's a driver interaction problem with the "hide empty drive letters from my computer" uncheck that box to see if it helps?
    -to find this setting:
    - open My Computer
    - tap the ALT key
    - a toolbar will appear at the top of the page
    - under TOOLS select FOLDER OPTIONS
    -  Then the VIEW tab
    - about 6 check boxes down, you will see "hide empty drive letters". This is the box to uncheck.
    -then check the" show hidden files folders and drives".
    -it worked for me could then see all discs and card readers that were previuosly hidden this was on a clean install and couldn`t
    -understand why my second internal drive and card reader wasn`t there ?. must be a glitch only found out after 3 hours of swearing hope this was helpfull
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 12:39 PM