none
How Long Should Defrag Take?

Question

• My Dell Inspiron started getting slower and slower.

I started the Defrag manually and it had been running for over 10 hours when I manually cancelled it.  The machine has speeded up quite a bit.  I was wondering if I should have left the defrag on all day to get it to finish or does it just continue to run until cancelled.

If so, how many hours, on average, should it take to complete a defrag cycle?

TexOnIce

Tuesday, May 03, 2011 12:00 PM

Answers

• It really depends on the hardware. If you have an average or below average processor, it can take a long time.

The larger the hard drive, the longer it will take.

So, a Celeron with 1gb of memory and a 500gb hard drive that's has not been defragged in a long time could take 10 hours or more.

The high end hardware takes an hour to 90 minutes on 500gb drive.

Run the disk cleanup tool first, then the defrag. Start it at night a let it run.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

The time of Defrag is depend on your hardware , the partition size and the storage file types. Also,  low disc space would cause this issue.

You may run the Disk Cleanup before Defrag.  Then preform a Clean Boot , run Defrag .

In addition, I recommend that you may try to check the disk integrity

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:12 AM

All replies

• It really depends on the hardware. If you have an average or below average processor, it can take a long time.

The larger the hard drive, the longer it will take.

So, a Celeron with 1gb of memory and a 500gb hard drive that's has not been defragged in a long time could take 10 hours or more.

The high end hardware takes an hour to 90 minutes on 500gb drive.

Run the disk cleanup tool first, then the defrag. Start it at night a let it run.

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

The time of Defrag is depend on your hardware , the partition size and the storage file types. Also,  low disc space would cause this issue.

You may run the Disk Cleanup before Defrag.  Then preform a Clean Boot , run Defrag .

In addition, I recommend that you may try to check the disk integrity

Best Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, May 06, 2011 7:12 AM
  • AMD Phenom X6, Windows 7 x64 (running 8 months), MSI 890fxa-gd70 mobo, 16GB DDR3, WD Black 1TB. (700GB Free space)

So far 7 hours to defrag. Dont tell me it depends on hardware. This is a pretty fast machine. I have a ton of large games and A ton of pictures. I believe its very slow because of one of those types of files. I know my 1GB game files are very fragmented. Also if you rip and burn dvds this may impact the file fragments IMO.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:21 PM
  • It does depend on the hardware. But the answer of 90 minutes for a fragmented 500Gb drive - such as what you're describing is nonsense.... unless you're running some kind of nanosecond access time drive. Mathematics here....
    • Edited by The Airman Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:43 AM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 1:40 AM
  • I just defragged two computers for the first time, both using Windows 7 defrag in the system tools. The one computer is a 500GB laptop a couple months old I bought for my 8 year old son, he accidently knocked it off the counter(and it didn't run good after that). We ran the ck disk and the defrag and seems to be running good now. We ran ck dk first before defrag and it only took the defrag about 30 minutes, took about 14 passes and came back with a report of 2% fragmented. I also ran defrag on my desktop for the first time on a 1TB system and it took about 1 hour and took 3 passes and came back 0% fragmented and I hadn't defragged it for about a year. The first pass took about 50 minutes. So not to bad after reading the horror stories of 3 days and still defragging. These are both low end computers $500 each with 4GB of memory. The one that took 14 passes is a lap top and the other one is a desktop mini tower.
    Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:31 PM
  • You actually have/had (as of 2011) a very poor PC. That is not a "pretty fast pc". In 2011 that would have been a mediocre system and would be one of the reasons in took so long to defrag.
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:43 AM