none
XP Service Pack 3 RC 2 - system hangs on reboot after install

Question

• SP3 RC2 ( from www.windowsupdate.com, after applying Microsoft registry patch) hangs on the first restart after installing RC2.

The startup screen appears, with the message "Please Wait", and the dors indicating progress appear. After 27 dots, there is no further progress, and the system hangs. Same symptoms as described in

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2579192&SiteID=17

I have uninstalled SpyBot prior to the installation of RC2.

I am able to boot up in Safe Mode, and uninstall RC2, so am back to SP2.

Raj

Friday, February 22, 2008 1:48 AM

Answers

• I had Symantec AntiVirus installed, which I had disabled during the install.

Machine is a Dell 4550, 1 GB RAM, ample disk space, NVidia MX4000, no overclocking or anything unusual.
    Drivers are up to date from WindowsUpdate as well as NVidia's web site.

Other details have been sent to Shashank directly.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi RajV,

Other than uninstalling SpyBot, do you have any other antivirus and script blocking software running pior to installing SP3?

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2677138&SiteID=17

Regards,

Thomas

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:22 PM
  •  

hi,

Can you try to update the VGA driver?

Also, could you please describe your hardware and software configurations?

Please share your email id which we could use for sharing some files amongst us.

Thanks

Shashank

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:09 PM
  • I had Symantec AntiVirus installed, which I had disabled during the install.

Machine is a Dell 4550, 1 GB RAM, ample disk space, NVidia MX4000, no overclocking or anything unusual.
    Drivers are up to date from WindowsUpdate as well as NVidia's web site.

Other details have been sent to Shashank directly.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:58 PM
  • I have the same problem after installing SP3 today on my Gericom laptop. It gets to the Windows XP loading screen and just stays there with the dots going across the screen, the hard drive does not appear to be doing much according to the indicator.

I am running Windows XP Pro and windows live one care providing anti-virus etc. Nvidia Ge Force 7200 video card.

The computer will not start up in any mode, if I start in safe mode it seems to hang on "multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys".

My laptop does not have a floppy drive so cannot even use a boot disc. I am not at home and don't have the original Windows XP disc with me.

Help.

Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:23 PM
  •  Captain Chris wrote:
    The computer will not start up in any mode, if I start in safe mode it seems to hang on "multi(0)disc(0)rdisc(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys".

Hi Chris,

There're some solutions on these urls. You wrote you couldn't boot to safe mode, so I guess these are not useful to you. Are you able to do system restore or use the recovery CD?

1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

2) http://ianwij.com/weblog/archive/2004/02/01/Windows_XP_hang_loading_agp440sys.aspx

Regards,

Thomas

Sunday, February 24, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Please help.  After installing SP3 and reboot, it hangs on the Windows XP screen, the blue dots and just moving.   I just tried the putting in the Windows XP CD and type "R", then

5. Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
    6. Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
    7. Press ESC.
    8. Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
    9. You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found, and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
    10. Type exit, and then press ENTER.
    11. If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.

Log on to your computer

This did not help, it is still hanging...

Please help!!!!!

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:29 AM
  • MsMerry,

How about this? And I hope you're on a test machine.

a) Boot Windows XP using the installation disc
    b) Run it in recovery mode (choose option R in the windows recovery console) 
    c) Type "chkdsk /r" without quotes, and let check disk (chkdsk) finish scanning
    d) Once chkdsk finished, type "exit", and restart Windows in normal mode.

Regards,

Thomas

Sunday, February 24, 2008 11:20 AM
  • The same problem occurred on my fathers Dell Dimension 4300 which was running XP Home SP2.

He was somehow given the option to install SP3, and then it hung up on reboot during the XP Loading screen.  Also safe mode hangs up in the same place agp440.sys.

We are now forced to re-install orginal OS and run through upgrades.  If that doesn't work, according to Dell, we will have to re-format the hard drive.

This seems extremely irresponsible for microsoft.  To make this upgrade, which is obviously unstable, available to the general public.  My Dad's 85 and depends on his computer for entertainment and keeping in touch.  He trusted a legitimate upgrade from Microsoft to be safe.   Bad idea.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  Charlie Neumann wrote:
    He was somehow given the option to install SP3,

Hi Charlie,

Ensure the check box is not selected on windows/microsoft update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and http://www.update.microsoft.com/). On the left navigation --> Under Options --> Change settings --> scroll down to find Advanced --> Unselected the check box --> and click "Apply changes now".

Advanced

Microsoft Update can offer you pre-released "beta" versions of products as they become available.

NOTE: Use beta software at your own risk; it is intended for testing and evaluation purposes only. Do not install beta software on your primary computer or production environment.

And I had tested some SP2 machines, and SP3 couldn't be found unless I ran the script.

Regards,

Thomas

Sunday, February 24, 2008 6:54 PM
  •  ThomasLee wrote:

MsMerry,

How about this? And I hope you're on a test machine.

a) Boot Windows XP using the installation disc
    b) Run it in recovery mode (choose option R in the windows recovery console) 
    c) Type "chkdsk /r" without quotes, and let check disk (chkdsk) finish scanning
    d) Once chkdsk finished, type "exit", and restart Windows in normal mode.

Regards,

Thomas

Sorry, but this didn't help.   I am now trying the "Repair", really not sure what I am doing.  I put the XP CD in and choose "setup", it found that I had XP installed and asked if I want to continue or repair.  I picked "Repair".   Wish me luck.  If I loose everything, it's not the end of the world.   It will not be fun reinstalling everything, just glad I save all my pic on a CD.   Thank goodness I have my laptop.   I will keep you all posted how this works out. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 4:12 AM
  •  have been testing XP SP3 on several machine types and have encountereed a
    reproducable issue on defferent computers. After installing SP3 the 
    system will not boot and sits at a black screen with no activity.

System will boot into safe mode. I have tried disabling all 
    unnecessary services and startup programs to no avail. 
    I uninstalled all the S/W butr it did not work

The only solution I have found is to uninstall SP3.  but now windows update no longer works and it shows that there are updates ready to to be installed but it never installs it!

Sam

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:01 PM
  • MsMerry,

Did you have Symantec Anti-virus on the machine that faced the issue?

Thanks

Shashank

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 6:34 PM
  •  Shashank Bansal [MSFT] wrote:

MsMerry,

Did you have Symantec Anti-virus on the machine that faced the issue?

Thanks

Shashank

Yes I have Norton.   I ended up having to reinstall XP.   Let me tell you, this was all new to me, but I did it :-).   I learned how to reformat the hard drive, then reinstall XP from the CD.    I did try the repair which was part of the "Setup", but that didn't work.   I got the blue screen of death.   So, anyway I learned the hard way to NOT install any beta software.  I'll probaby be scared to install it when it does come out.   This computer is 6 years old and this is the 1st time I had to do something like this.   Over all, it wasn't that bad.   Live and learn....

~Merry~

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:44 AM
  • Hi Ms merry Smile hope everything went well, next time try live windows XP CD to backup all the needed data it is the most simple way. just boot from the CD into windows and burn eveything or copy it to something.

Cheers!
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:44 AM
  • I found this on the HP website which applies to PCs running AMD processors:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01457284&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1821850&lang=en

Hope this helps!

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:28 PM
  • I had the same problem so I uninstalled SP3 and returned to SP2.  However my Live OneCare is telling me to install it again.  I'll wait for more feed back before attempting this again.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Just another victim.  I started an install of SP3.  I fell asleep but my wife came along and clicked a "FINISH" button (she says).  On boot up, I now get to the first XP splash screen for about ten seconds, then the machine does a full reset to BIOS bootup.  Repeats forever.  Tried the XP install disk but when I get to the Install/Repair/Quit option, it does nothing no matter what choice I make.  I can bring up the boot menu (select boot device) but I cannot get to a Safe Boot.

I was using PCTools Spyware Doctor which does have an AV module.

An added complication: the only drive in this thing is a two-disk RAID 0 array.  I am considering sticking in an old drive on the IDE controller, installing XP to that and then (if I can find the instructions) manually reverting this mess to SP2.

Monday, August 11, 2008 12:39 PM
  • Abraham3, your symptoms as described do not match the title of this old thread: you would have done better to start a new thread of your own.

To obtain better diagnostic advice on how to proceed now, please provide the following:

- brand/make of PC;

- processor brand (Intel, AMD?);

- list all USB or FireWire devices connected at boot time.

And please do the following: get to the boot menu (F8).  Select the option to disable automatic restarts, then let the boot-up continue.  This should bring you to a blue screen with diagnostic messages and nuimbers.  Please copy them here.

You should have disabled or uninstalled Spyware Doctor before trying to install SP3.  Please see the following:

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Spyware Doctor 5.5 or earlier versions of Spyware Doctor may cause Windows XP Service Pack 3 to stop responding when you try to install or to uninstall the service pack

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951403

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
    Monday, August 11, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Machine is 'functional' so this will be last note in this thread.

This is an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard with an Intel 3.2 GHz P4 (540, I think) and two GB of RAM

The only USB devices attached at bootup were a keyboard, mouse and two empty hubs in series.  When I made the first attempt to install SP3, I also had a Sony memory card reader which was assigned four drive letters though it had no chips in it at all.

My boot menu (F8) does NOT show an option  to disable automatic restarts.

I had not disabled Spyware Doctor (v 5.5.1.322) before starting the install.  That was likely the primary problem.

As stated, the machine had only a two drive RAID 0 array.  That required the F6 setup disk and the three I had laying around would not read.  My office laptop has no floppy but I finally got a fellow at a computer shop to install the Asus RAID setup from a stick to a floppy.  I got that to work and got to the repair console and then a DOS prompt.  I ran spuninst and uninstalled SP3.  It would be a handy thing if the note describing that step ("How to Remove SP3") noted how long that can take - almost 30 minutes.  When that was done I was able to reboot into the Windows GUI, make the registry alteration and reboot one last time.  The original process noted having to reboot twice before one was fully functional.  That was not the case with me.  After the regedit work, the next boot left me with Windows looking perfectly normal.

HOWEVER, Windows now reports it has Service Pack 3 Version 3093.  Windows Update will download patches, but all attempts to install them fail.  My plan is to do another backup to an external firewire drive and then attempt to install SP3 version 6.2.29 which I have on a CD from my office. 

Abraham

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:58 AM
  •  Abraham3 wrote:
    HOWEVER, Windows now reports it has Service Pack 3 Version 3093.

That is a very ancient beta-quality version of SP3.  Please uninstall it as soon as you can, and obtain the proper released version direct from Microsoft.  The beta versions do not support the usage of Windows Update.  All the beta versions and the released version share the same file name and same externally visible version number on the installer.  The only way to tell the difference is by checking the date on the Digitial Signature.  The real SP3 has a Digital Signature dated 2008 April 14 at 04:30 UTC (adjust for your timezone), and is 331,805,736 bytes long.

If you still have Windows Update problems after installing the real SP3, please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 for the fixes.  These fixes will not do anything for the beta SP3.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 9:34 AM
  •  rdhw wrote:

...All the beta versions and the released version share the same file name and same externally visible version number on the installer....

Is there any sensible rationale for this?  To me it seems complete madness as it is bound to cause confusion and errors.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Did anybody find a solution to this?  I suffer from the same problem, but thankfully have an Acronis backup to lean on...

I can easily boot into Safe Mode and Safe Mode w/ Networking.  I upgraded the nVidia video drivers.  I tried disabling Symantec AV, and absolutely nothing will allow me to get my system booted after installation.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:24 AM