none
Service Pack 3 "sr.inf" file needed for System Restore

Question

• I recently did a repair install on Windows XP Home Edition after removing a nasty virus which shut everything done.  I did get totally rid of the virus and the repair install went well with all information remaining intact.  I am still unable to use the system restore and have tried all available ways to get it started as enumerated in your help files including the registry repairs suggested.  Nothing has worked.  The error message I am now receiving is "The file sr.sys on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed".   I, of coure, do not have that CD as I installed Service Pack 3 from the Microsoft website.  All updates available through your website are up to date.   I am now at a loss as to what to try ??  Please help.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:27 PM

Answers

• Is the missing file the "sr.inf" or the "sr.sys" ? if its the sr.sys then navigate to "C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386" folder then scroll down and you'll see a copy of it there, just right click it and choose "copy" then go back to the Windows\System32 folder and right click and choose "paste" if its the sr.inf then you would need the installation disk to replace that through the recovery console

Dennis ,, Owner: HTML tutorial Please dont forget to mark any post(s) that helped as helpful or answered
    • Marked as answer by littleolady Thursday, January 21, 2010 10:31 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:47 PM