none
cannot boot up in SAFE MODE

Question

• I have an HP PC computer and Windows 7 Home Premium OS.     I cannot boot up into SAFE MODE.   I have tried many times by

depressing & holding the F8 key down when booting up and also by pressing the F8 key down & up repeatedly while booting up, but either method brings me into the standard Windows 7 Desktop.   I have also switched keyboards to see if this is a keyboard problem, but both keyboards failed to bring me into the SAFE MODE.

Any suggestions as to how I might get into SAFE MODE?    best, Aaron

Sunday, April 04, 2010 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi

Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.
    Type  msconfig  in the Open line and press OK.

In the System Configuration utility, select the Boot tab.
    Place a check mark in the Safe Boot option.
    Press Apply/OK.

Restart the computer and it will automatically boot into Safe Mode.

When you are finished using Safe Mode, before you restart the computer, repeat these instructions and remove the check mark from Safe Boot.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hi

Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

Press Apply/OK.

When you are finished using Safe Mode, before you restart the computer, repeat these instructions and remove the check mark from Safe Boot.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Ronnie:  your method WORKED.  100,000 Thank yous!

Not to be an ingrate, I am appreciative of your reply.  But do you know why the F8 key did not work in bringing up Safe Mode?

Does F8 work with Windows 7?

best,  Aaron

Sunday, April 04, 2010 3:26 PM
  • Getting to safe mode via the F8 key is a touchy timing issue.  Tapping the F8 key too early or too late will not work.  Wait until you see your BIOS screen display and start tapping the F8 key shortly thereafter.If that doesn't catch it, start tapping while the BIOS screen is displayed. Also, you might want to try another keyboard to verify the F8 key isn't broken.

Jerry

Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.

Press Apply/OK.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Hi, I have a 0xc0000225 boot error and my problems are 2fold.  I have used the recovery cd, but each time I restart my pc the problem persists.  Now when i want to use the safe mode boot up to see where the problem lies I cannot use either the f8 key or your winkey r method.  Both times when I correctly depress the buttons my pc restarts instead of going to the appropriate menu.
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 6:05 AM