get error// ,,, could not open connection to host on port 23: connection failed

Question

• I can use hyperterminal,tera term,secure CRT to telnet and or ssh

BUT

If i try and use cmd C:\ telnet 192.168.1.1

I recieve the error reply could not oppen connection to host on port 23

what i have tried so far

1).  controlpannel\programs features\turn on turn off\ 

when the giu open, i select the selectable check box telnet client, also i selected tenet server after repeated failures.

2).control pannel\firewalls\advanced settings\inbound rules\new rule\port\tcp\specific local 23\allow\

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SO what am i missing ??? is it right in front of my face?

Saturday, July 28, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• Do you have another software firewall on your PC? The first thing you could try doing is just disabling the windows firewall and any anti-virus software or other that could be performing connection filtering. That way you could eliminate all possible/known options. Another thing to consider, if this is Windows 7, there can be multiple firewall profiles. So if your telnet server is on a domain, and you modified the public or private firewall profiles, then that wouldnt work if the network you are currently on is a domain.

What is the OS of the guest machine and host machine?

You could also consider looking through the event logs on both machines to see if there are any indicators there.

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know what the device (192.168.1.1) is. Is it a PC, home router or an enterprise level router?

If it is a home router, as far as I know, telnet function is disabled by default.

If not, please refer to the following document and similar thread.

Error Message: Error while connecting to the host - could not open a connection to host on port 23

unable to telnet between windows 7 computers

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:45 AM

All replies

• Do you have another software firewall on your PC? The first thing you could try doing is just disabling the windows firewall and any anti-virus software or other that could be performing connection filtering. That way you could eliminate all possible/known options. Another thing to consider, if this is Windows 7, there can be multiple firewall profiles. So if your telnet server is on a domain, and you modified the public or private firewall profiles, then that wouldnt work if the network you are currently on is a domain.

What is the OS of the guest machine and host machine?

You could also consider looking through the event logs on both machines to see if there are any indicators there.

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

Firstly, please let us know what the device (192.168.1.1) is. Is it a PC, home router or an enterprise level router?

If it is a home router, as far as I know, telnet function is disabled by default.

If not, please refer to the following document and similar thread.

Error Message: Error while connecting to the host - could not open a connection to host on port 23

unable to telnet between windows 7 computers

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 30, 2012 3:45 AM