none
Installed 4GB RAM Usable 2.99GB RAM

Question

• Hello I recently bought a Lenovo laptop with

Intel i3 Processor,

4GB RAM,

512MB Nvidia Graphics card.

With Windows 7-32bit

But my system displays only 2.99 GB Usable Ram.

Does that mean 4.5 GB Ram is not fully usable.

If I change to Windows7-64bit,will there be any change in Usage.

ThankYou.

Friday, March 11, 2011 7:51 AM

Answers

• 32-bit Windows has a 4GB address space, which includes video memory and system BIOSes. With a 512MB graphics card 3GB addressable RAM is about right.

Changing to 64-bit would allow graphics memory and system BIOSes to be mapped above 4GB and all 4GB of RAM would be addressable and usable.

It is not likely that the extra 1GB of usable RAM - increasing from 3GB to 4GB - would make much difference to overall performance in day-to-day use.

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Click Start=>type resource in the search box=> select resource monitor from the results.

When the resource monitor opens=>select the memory tab.

There you will observe a graphical display of the usage allocation of the memory.

The new  iCORE processors and motherboards use memory differently than you accustomed to with the C2D or Pentium.

Some is reserved for system use, some for graphical sharing(yes, even with a 512 discrete card).

The memory is used\allocated differently depending on the task being performed.
    Close out of the Resource Monitor.

Leave the system as it is now. I doubt that you are having any performance issues.
    For fun, right-click the desk top and select the CPU meter from the Gadgets. Then, right-click it, and select Always on Top. Now watch it (the memory use on the right) as you perform tasks. You will rarely use 100% of the memory.

No, 64-bit is not the answer for this.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:30 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:51 PM

All replies

• 32-bit Windows has a 4GB address space, which includes video memory and system BIOSes. With a 512MB graphics card 3GB addressable RAM is about right.

Changing to 64-bit would allow graphics memory and system BIOSes to be mapped above 4GB and all 4GB of RAM would be addressable and usable.

It is not likely that the extra 1GB of usable RAM - increasing from 3GB to 4GB - would make much difference to overall performance in day-to-day use.

Friday, March 11, 2011 8:32 AM
  • Click Start=>type resource in the search box=> select resource monitor from the results.

When the resource monitor opens=>select the memory tab.

There you will observe a graphical display of the usage allocation of the memory.

The new  iCORE processors and motherboards use memory differently than you accustomed to with the C2D or Pentium.

Some is reserved for system use, some for graphical sharing(yes, even with a 512 discrete card).

The memory is used\allocated differently depending on the task being performed.
    Close out of the Resource Monitor.

Leave the system as it is now. I doubt that you are having any performance issues.
    For fun, right-click the desk top and select the CPU meter from the Gadgets. Then, right-click it, and select Always on Top. Now watch it (the memory use on the right) as you perform tasks. You will rarely use 100% of the memory.

No, 64-bit is not the answer for this.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:30 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Run Meminfo [1] from Alex Ionescu with the parameter -r to see the memory regions and the highest page you can use.

You can use Device manager to see which devices are in the reserved regions. Inside Device manager select "Resource by Connection" under View, and expand all nodes. Now substract the left value from the right one and convert it from Hex to Dec to see the number of reserved memory for each device which now located in the 4GB address space and reduce the usable size.

Which chipset does your laptop use? The chipset must support more than 4GB [2] to let you use the complete 4GB.

[1] http://www.alex-ionescu.com/?p=51
    [2] http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Friday, March 11, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Hi, 

Let me inform you that the system only uses the required amount of memory to run a particular program or application. It means that if i want to play a game and it requires only 200MB RAM then the sys will only take 200MB (not 4GB). In the same way if the game requires 3GB RAM then it will take the rest of the memory from the 2.99GB. 

You may wish to run multiple programs and applications to check the memory usage. I am sure you will be able to notice the difference..

Regards

Martix

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:29 AM