none
Windows 7 Fades to Black and Locks up After Login

Question

• Hi, I downloaded Windows 7 and I've had a bit of a nightmare with it today.

Quick Equipment rundown:

MoBo: Asus P5QC
    CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 Extreme
    Vid: nVidia 9800GT
    Snd: Creative X-Fi Gamer xtreme
    Mem: 2Gb OCZ Gold DDR 3

----------------------------------

Problem

I have 2 HDDs. Both hooked up with Sata. On the first drive I have Windows XP, on the second I installed Windows 7 to a partition.
    Everything was fine, and I was excitedly delving into Windows 7's features.

I then tried to install drivers for my X-Fi sound card. I got warnings about the drivers not being signed...I also tried to install my Vodafone mobile dongle.
    When I rebooted I got to the login screen. I logged in and everything faded to black. The keyboard lights go out and so does the mouse's.

I though the drivers may be causing it so decided to re-install Windows 7 after formatting the partition it was on. Every time I re-install it's the same. I get to the login screen, login, and the computer goes black and locks up, or i get what looks like safe mode (Windows 95 looking taskbar) and I can't access explorer or anything as it tells me it either can't find it or I don't have sufficient rights.
    I'm suspecting the installation has left files on my XP drive?
    I can get into safe mode.

To top it all off now, XP hangs whilst booting to....XP can boot to safe mode.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:05 AM

Answers

• This issue can be caused by the video adapter driver. I suggest that you download the driver that is marked as Windows 7 RC compatible from the following NVIDIA website.

GeForce-ION Driver Release 190 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remove the current driver from Program and Features. Then install the latest driver.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:45 AM

All replies

• This issue can be caused by the video adapter driver. I suggest that you download the driver that is marked as Windows 7 RC compatible from the following NVIDIA website.

GeForce-ION Driver Release 190 

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Please remove the current driver from Program and Features. Then install the latest driver.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, July 24, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Here's an update:

I logged on to Windows 7 in safe mode
    Right-click on My Computer, selected manage
    Disabled the X-Fi sound card that was an 'unknown'
    Opened up the vid card and unistalled the driver
    I rebooted, it installed the card ok

However I still have an odd problem:

If I'm logged in there is no wallpaper. If I right-click on the desktop and choose to personalise I get an error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permission to access them"

On the toolbar near the start button there are three icons, my computer(?), media player, and iexlorer (though the iexplorer icon is the same as that sometimes used for a blank document).
    The iexplorer icon does nothing, the media player one opens, and the my computer one gives the above error.

When I click start and the menu pops up, all of the links on the right give the above error.
    For example, if I click games on the right hand side I get the error, yet I can click on all programs and select a game from there (Freecell for example) and it works.

When I last rebooted, Windows installed 7 updates but the problem remains.

Your help is hugely appreciated.

EDIT - I can run some things from the task manager. i can right click on the toolbar to bring up the task manager. If I click run and type (for example) cmd, the command prompt opens.
    It's like all of the start menu links are screwed up. This is on a fresh install, so I assume that Windows 7 is leaving something on the drive even if I format it?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:09 PM
  • OK...here's a further update, and I think I'm getting somewhere...

I logged into safe mode (with command prompt) to see if I could see any files (wouldn't let me access c:\ previously). When I closed the prompt i started task manager and clicked run and typed explorer...however I ticked the box saying 'run with admin privileges'...all of a sudden ALL of the icons are back, my wallpaper is back, everything is good except the my document, my music etc don't work any more.

So I thought, could I do the same not in safe mode? I booted up and logged in, started task manager and closed explorer.exe. I then ran explorer with admin privileges (at first the checkbox to do this wasn't there until I selected 'show processes from all users' on the previous window).

Same again, all icons are now there and everything appears to work except the my document, my pictures, my music etc on the start menu.
    When I reboot it goes back to how it was before.

So is it some weird privileges thing?

I feel we're one step closer...please take me the final mile!
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:48 PM
  • Bump?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Bump
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Well, first let me heartily thank you for the outpourings of assistance.... I'm impressed at the ammount of of help I received.

Anyway, enough of the sarcasm.

1- The "Lockup and fade to black problem" was solved by lowering the monitor's refresh rate from 75 to 60hz in the display settings (done in safe mode).

2- The libraries not working was solved by going to Computer, deleting the libraries, then clicking Start and Documents, Music etc, in turn. Each library was then recreated.

3- The not being able to access any of the progs was solved by deleting all user accounts and going on as Admin initially (thanks to CrazyLady)

I now have Windows 7 fully operational.

Friday, August 14, 2009 4:54 AM