none
How many computers can I install Windows 7 on?

Question

• I've pre ordered Windows 7 professional upgrade and I have three computers (two desktops with XP and one laptop with Vista) Can put windows 7 on all three with the one upgrade that I've bought or would I need to buy three copies?
    Thanks.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:52 PM

Answers

• If I remember the XP EULA right, Home Edition (at least, the one I got) could be installed on a maximum of three computers. Would that now work to license three Win7 upgrades, or would the one three-PC license be upgraded to one single-PC license?

All Microsoft Windows operating systems are licensed for one computer only.  The only exception is Volume Licensing and that package requires a minimum purchase of five (5) licenses.

Now, there are some versions of Microsoft Office that permit installation on three computers using the same license.  Perhaps that's what you recall.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:08 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 is sold as a single license that permits one (1) installation on one (1) computer.  You would need to purchase a new license for each additional computer you wish to install Windows 7 on.

Carey Frisch
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:32 PM
  • If I remember the XP EULA right, Home Edition (at least, the one I got) could be installed on a maximum of three computers. Would that now work to license three Win7 upgrades, or would the one three-PC license be upgraded to one single-PC license?
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:23 AM

All Microsoft Windows operating systems are licensed for one computer only.  The only exception is Volume Licensing and that package requires a minimum purchase of five (5) licenses.

Now, there are some versions of Microsoft Office that permit installation on three computers using the same license.  Perhaps that's what you recall.
    Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:08 AM