none
Windows Media Center in Windows 7 TV Guide issues

Question

• I am having a problem with the Windows Media Center TV guide on Windows 7 RC. A few months ago, it stopped downloading TV guide listings and it hasn't been able to download any ever since. I have tried resetting Internet Explorer proxy options (it is optional that I use a proxy), disabling firewall, antispyware as well as antivirus software and also restarting related Windows Media Center services, but nothing has worked so far.

The TV works properly but nothing records because the guide is not available. Each time I go to Guide, it prompts me to download listings but it sits there and doesn't nothing. When I click the button again it says that a download is in progress. I have also tried setting up my TV signal again but the wizard freezes where it "downloads additional data".

In Windows Vista the TV guide works fine so there is nothing wrong with the provider I don't think. All my browsers work correctly and so does Windows Media Player when downloading album information. Zap2it.com loads fine in all browsers. I have a Hauppage HVR-1250 tuner.

My ISP is Shaw Cablesystems. My television provider is also Shaw Cablesystems. Currently we have analog TV, which works fine. Except for the TV guide.

I would hate to reinstall Windows 7 just for this issue, and possible have the TV not work at all due to the inability to run TV signal setup.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:09 AM

All replies

• Bump. I see that no one has responded to question.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:53 PM
  • I have EXACTLY the same issue on my W7 RC !

it was working fine on my vista and Media Center on my W7 works fine except this guide issue !

any help is welcome !

JP
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:23 PM
  • What antivirus software are you each running?
    What firewall software are you running:  the built-in Windows Firewall, or a third-party FW?
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:13 AM
  • I am running AVG Free Antivirus 8.5.392.
    My firewall software is COMODO Firewall but this problem already started occurring before I installed this, the time I was using Windows Firewall.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 4:58 AM
  • I'm seeing the same.  This didn't occur when I installed Windows 7 RC1 but shortly after.

I'm prompted to update the guide, click ok....  and nothing.

I use Avast anti virus.  My firewall is whatever came with W7RC1. 

I'm dual booting 7 with Vista (no problems with Vista).

I pre ordered W7 Home (I forget the version) for $50.  I hope the problem is solved by then.

Monday, July 27, 2009 5:11 AM
  • I also preordered Windows 7 Home Premium in Canada. I hope this problem is resolved.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:43 PM
  • I was able to resolve this by resetting up TV and agreeing to the conditions for the guide again.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:58 PM
  • What Lead3 said. If you have been running windows7 for a while some guide changes were made to the back end servers. Just go back into the settings, tv, and guide setup, and just re-setup your channels. This will re-setup your tuner cards, and re-setup your guide and it should start working again.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:05 PM
  • What Lead3 said. If you have been running windows7 for a while some guide changes were made to the back end servers. Just go back into the settings, tv, and guide setup, and just re-setup your channels. This will re-setup your tuner cards, and re-setup your guide and it should start working again.

<quote>  I have also tried setting up my TV signal again but the wizard freezes where it "downloads additional data". </quote>
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Ya, happens to me too. Can't re-settup the tuners or TV signal either and I'm running the finished version--no RC--of Windows 7 Pro., 64 bit.

I haven't seen any anwers from Microsoft on this BUG anywhere, have you?
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Having this same issue in Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM.  I believe my issue started around the time I added an XBOX 360 extender.  All worked fine for a couple of months before that.  I didn't notice a problem until around 10/20 when I heard the Netflix update was available and could not get the download to work.  I am now down to 2 days of listings in the guide.  I am currently trying to redo the setup for the TV, but is is stuck at  "Downloading TV Setup Data".  Any answers to this issue?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:41 AM
  • Evening,

I've recently replaced my two Vista notebooks with a Windows 7 based notebook. I'm using the same TV tuner with the same drivers, the issue I'm facing is the guide always seems out of date. Even if I go to Tasks then manually update the guide, the guide will be wrong until after the program has started; then it'll usually show correctly.

Initially I thought it could just be a timezone issue, but it's showing programs that aren't even due to be on TV that day etc.

It was all working fine on my two Vista laptops, and my Windows 7 one is fully updated etc.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Evening,

I've recently replaced my two Vista notebooks with a Windows 7 based notebook. I'm using the same TV tuner with the same drivers, the issue I'm facing is the guide always seems out of date. Even if I go to Tasks then manually update the guide, the guide will be wrong until after the program has started; then it'll usually show correctly.

Initially I thought it could just be a timezone issue, but it's showing programs that aren't even due to be on TV that day etc.

It was all working fine on my two Vista laptops, and my Windows 7 one is fully updated etc.

Same case, same problems. The list is blank, If i look to a spesefic channel, i get only the next to programs in the guide for the same channel, rest of the list is blank. Vista 32 bit was ok, have the problem after i uppgrade to W7 64 Bit. PS! The guide was ok the first copple of days after uppgrade.
    Sunday, January 09, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Freezman, it looks like nobody here knows an answer (myself included). I suggest that you repost this at the The Green Button forums , there are some WMC experts there.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:42 PM
  • I see that a lot of folks have had the same problem as me. My TV listing would not work either after load Win7 from Win7 RC. I tried everything under the sun from disabling  anti-virus to reloading my TV card software but too no avail, the TV function worked just fine but no listing. You probably had the "downloading" message hang there on the screen forever but alas you had to cancel it or shut down the center.

And now the solution.  RE-LOAD WIN7 and I don't mean repair, scrub the partition and re-load the whole thing, after you have saved your settings etc with "Windows Easy Transfer". It sucks to have to do this but I can tell you my Media Center is working fine now.

Good Luck

• Proposed as answer by Ekotaman Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Plese help.

When I had Windows Xp, and then upgraded it to Windows Vista on my PC, I was able to download the TV guide.  I never had a problem until I had Windows 7 professional on my pc.  Everything worked fine except I had problem to download the  the Windows Media Center.  May I have a suggestion what I should do?  Or the tv guide is no longer available?  Since I am working during the day, I depend the tv guide to record my tv programs, it is very disappointed to find out the downloading is no longer working.  Any suggestions?  If I reload the Windows 7 operation, wow, do I have to reload all the software that I already had on my PC?

Thank you for anyone helps me.

learning17@hotmail.com

jack johnson

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:08 PM
  • what do you mean "I had a problem to download the Windows Media Center" ?? are
    you talking about the guide or something else? did you upgrade from XP to Vista
    to Windows 7? what version of Windows 7? did you rerun TV Setup? does the guide
    download manually? is your computer turned on during the day? where do you live?

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:08:48 +0000, green fields wrote:

>  Everything worked fine except I had problem to download the  the Windows Media Center.  May I have a suggestion what I should do?  Or the tv guide is no longer available? 

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 4:41 PM
  • I have had all the problems listed here and have tried all the "solutions" offered but to no avail. I solved the issue by totally re-loading Win-7. Do a backup and make a copy of the registry, this should allow you to recover the software you had loaded before, after you re-load the registry and the backup. It worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Isp = shaw

tv card = hauppage 1250

Win = Win7 - ultimate

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:35 AM
  • I have had all the problems listed here and have tried all the "solutions" offered but to no avail. I solved the issue by totally re-loading Win-7. Do a backup and make a copy of the registry, this should allow you to recover the software you had loaded before, after you re-load the registry and the backup. It worked for me, hopefully for you as well.

Isp = shaw

tv card = hauppage 1250

Win = Win7 - ultimate

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 4:36 AM
  • This seems to be the same problem as happened in Dec...  The updates for the TV listings stopped coming...  Microsoft fixed this problem last time...  It is hard to get their attention...  This problem is happening in both the States and Canada
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:29 PM
  • I am having a problem with the Windows Media Center TV guide on Windows 7 RC. A few months ago, it stopped downloading TV guide listings and it hasn't been able to download any ever since. I have tried resetting Internet Explorer proxy options (it is optional that I use a proxy), disabling firewall, antispyware as well as antivirus software and also restarting related Windows Media Center services, but nothing has worked so far.

The TV works properly but nothing records because the guide is not available. Each time I go to Guide, it prompts me to download listings but it sits there and doesn't nothing. When I click the button again it says that a download is in progress. I have also tried setting up my TV signal again but the wizard freezes where it "downloads additional data".

In Windows Vista the TV guide works fine so there is nothing wrong with the provider I don't think. All my browsers work correctly and so does Windows Media Player when downloading album information. Zap2it.com loads fine in all browsers. I have a Hauppage HVR-1250 tuner.

My ISP is Shaw Cablesystems. My television provider is also Shaw Cablesystems. Currently we have analog TV, which works fine. Except for the TV guide.

I would hate to reinstall Windows 7 just for this issue, and possible have the TV not work at all due to the inability to run TV signal setup.

I have exactly the same problems.  Is there any help to solve the download tv guide steps?  Please help.  learning17@hotmail.com  Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by green fields Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:48 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:48 PM
  • This is a microsoft issue...  I would not reinstall anything yet.....  You could try a manual retrieve of the listings.. but everyone is having the same problem.. The listings end at the 2:00am on the 1-may....

Hopefully Microsoft will fix it soon!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Is no one concerned that the TV listings will run out 1 May at 2:00am????

This thread seems to have gone to sleep.....

Microsoft....  are you working on this problem????

Help!

Thursday, April 26, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Keep filing this as an issue every day on Connect.

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 07:16:05 +0000, AMcNeish wrote:

>
    >
    >Is no one concerned that the TV listings will run out 1 May at 2:00am????
    >
    >
    >
    >This thread seems to have gone to sleep.....
    >
    >
    >
    >Microsoft....  are you working on this problem????
    >
    >
    >
    >Help!

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:28 AM
  • So what's the story on this issue ? Why have the TV listings update stopped working ? What's with the May 1st date for listings running out ? A May Day workers revolt ? Here it is, May 7th, and any attempt to get an updated TV listing fails. Anyone know what's going on ?
    Monday, May 07, 2012 8:38 AM
  • The tv listing update was working a bit better... but in Dec we lost the utv listing updates for a while... then 1-May.. now the 12/14 May seems to be the end...   It seems that there is an issue between Microsoft and ZAP2IT.com  I hope they solve it soon...

Andy

Monday, May 07, 2012 11:28 AM
  • Should be updating now
    Monday, May 07, 2012 11:59 PM
  • It seems stuck on the 19th.. but this is Microsoft's answer...

We performed setup on local machines and performed update to confirm the download issue has been corrected.

11 day lookahead is within the expectation.

Please feel free to create a new feedback if other future issues are encountered.

I mentioned that zap2it is on the 22 May..  I am awaiting further information.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Well... it is now up to the 21st... hopefully it is fixed now..
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:55 AM
  • My computer is doing the same thing. No download happens for tv setup data, no download of anything after 8 hours with an open Internet connection, firewall access, all microsoft services are enabled. I've reached the point where I watch the Tv outside of WMC. I have program guide, and the tuner works fine. I have digital atsc and clear QAM stations all set up. My WMC remote works 80-85% on Hauppauge software. So I think I will stop stressing about WMC and just enjoy the HD TV. If I knew how to bypass WMC download setup data, I would. Everything is already setup all WMC has to do is accept it as done. What it is supposed to be downloading is I believe, already done. At the point that I do not know what else to try. Open to suggestions and solutions.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 10:34 PM