none
Can't see start menu xp

Question

• I am not able able to see my Start Menu or desktop when I logon to my computer.  I am able to navigate in taskmager - CTRL+ALT+DEL.  I need help in restoring what ever file I deleted. 

Thursday, October 01, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• to start with you should try to boot into safe mode, you may be able to on that way, if that doesnt work, you can bring up the start menu by hitting  windowskey, then navigate with the arrow keys and choosing with enter, then you can start a system restore that way
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:01 AM
  • you know, you may have just hid the taskbar from yourself,, see if dragging your pointer all the way to the bottom of the screen will bring up the taskbar, if it will then you just right click on it and choose properties and uncheck "hide the taskbar" then apply
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:04 AM
  • The start menu is not hidden, I think I deleted a hidden file.  I can boot to safe mode - what do I then.  For now I'm able to open my files and go to the internet by going to windows taskmanager and running a new task. I read some where on another site that if I delete the following two registry keys the start menu will come back:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe
    Will that restore my start menu?  I'm not computer savvy, I need step by step instructions please.

Friday, October 02, 2009 1:39 PM
  • have you tried the system restore yet?
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:14 PM
  • No, I don't know how to do it.  Will I lose my files?
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:28 PM
  • the only files you would lose doing a system restore are any that was added after the restore point. use the hotkeys like I listed above and at the start menu go to start>all programs>Accessories>System restore. open it then follow what it tells you
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Hi, Sorry, I'm I using the right key - I'm using a Dell Laptop D630 and I've pressed the key between the Fn and Alt key - it has a windows on it - nothing happens.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:39 PM
  • then try Ctrl+escape  the Ctrl key and the escape key at the top left at the same time
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:51 PM
  • Hi,
    That didn't work.  I also went to Win Taskmanager and tried starting explorer - i got an error: " Windows can't find explorer..."
    Friday, October 02, 2009 2:56 PM
  • do you have your XP installation disk? if you do then you need to probably do a repair install then, that way you wouldnt lose your files and folders, it happens, but almost all the time you can do one and those not be affected. these links will explain how to you http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
    • Proposed as answer by securityguy14 Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:20 PM
    Friday, October 02, 2009 3:09 PM
  • I have the Operating System disk win xp service pack 2 disk - my machine is running IE7 and SP7.  I'm very hesitant to do the repair install on my own.  Is there any other way to restore the start menu?
    Friday, October 02, 2009 5:14 PM
  • from what your saying and the file that you listed thats missing,, I wouldnt bother trying too much else,, just do the repair install then immediately update right back
    Friday, October 02, 2009 5:21 PM
  • The instructions said I would have to remove the IE 7 before doing the repair install.  Without the start menu, I don't know how to remove it.
    Friday, October 02, 2009 5:36 PM
  • Hi, Go to this link download and run program and build a bootable cd iso with your xp disc.  Burn to cd.

http://majorgeeks.com/UBCD4Win_d5710.html

How to ?  when Ultimate boot finish set up. It will ask you where is your copy of XP, point it to your DVD drive where you have just put it.

Then run program it will start to build a bootable .iso image which you burn to a cd.

Now restart computer with the Ultimate boot disc in the problem computer. When it is finished booting it will look very like XP.

Then click once my computer. Then open your harddisk - documents and settings - right click your folder name and add .old to it and then enter. Windows will rebuild your profile. When you reboot. 

Restart computer and see if this works. If it does you can use yourname.old folder to replace your files. Slan go foill, Paul

Friday, October 02, 2009 6:21 PM
  • hi, I'm such an idiot, but I went to the website you directed me to and I'm not sure what to download...
    Friday, October 02, 2009 7:24 PM
  • what he was trying to link you to is this , thats the site itself that develops the bootdisk
    Friday, October 02, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hi, Just click where it says download it will start and ask you where you want to save it put it on desktop. Slan go foill, Paul
    Friday, October 02, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Securityguy14 and Paul I appreciate your support. Since I can't see the files on my desktop, I'm downloading "UBCD4WINV350.EXE" to a cd.  I'm doing it from safe mode with networking taking a long time. Once done, I will run the file.  Anything else I need to do?
    Friday, October 02, 2009 8:05 PM
  • Hi, Please follow the instructions in my prevoius post. Best of luck, Slan go foill, Paul 
    Friday, October 02, 2009 8:12 PM