none
problems with RDP on Windows 7 host + how do you "reinstall" remote desktop services

Question

• How do you repair or reinstall Remote Desktop Services on Windows 7?  Is there a self-signed certificate installed alongside RDP that can get corrupted?  Is there more robust logging available to try and troubleshoot this?

My firewall is disabled.  I have IIS installed.  I was previously able to remote control my Windows 7 workstation.  I can't figure out why it is no longer working.  3389 is fully functional and responds to a telnet request (implies it is open).  After you mstsc into my computer, it requests a username/password, and and soon as you press connect, you get this error on the comptuer trying to connect:  "This computer can't connect to the remote computer..."  It doesn't matter who or what computer tries to connect...

Reloading the workstation is not an acceptable answer.

The following error log is recorded

The following fatal alert was generated: 20. The internal error state is 960.

Event ID:  36888

Source:  schannel

I also got this error (but only once):

The Terminal Server security layer detected an error in the protocol stream and has disconnected the client. Client IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Event ID:  56

Source:  TermDD

Friday, September 02, 2011 8:38 PM

Answers

• I found a post that might help you - http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/912688-windows-7-repair-install-cannot-connect-via-remote-desktop/. It refers to the same Source: schannel; Event ID 36888 issue that you are facing while trying to RDP.

Quoting from there for convenience, it says:

"To resolve the issue, I went into the Certificates console (for the Computer Account) and deleted the computer name certificate from the Remote Desktop certificates folder (after backing the certificate up for good measure). I then disabled Remote Desktop and re-enabled it (I don't know if this step is necessary, but I tried it, thinking it might regenerate the certificate). I then tried to connect from my remote machine, and it connected just fine. It appears that the certificate re-generated on the initial connect after I deleted the certificate."

Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue, we'll assist you further. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    • Edited by Server Baba Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by rldean Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:09 PM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:22 AM

All replies

• I found a post that might help you - http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/912688-windows-7-repair-install-cannot-connect-via-remote-desktop/. It refers to the same Source: schannel; Event ID 36888 issue that you are facing while trying to RDP.

Quoting from there for convenience, it says:

"To resolve the issue, I went into the Certificates console (for the Computer Account) and deleted the computer name certificate from the Remote Desktop certificates folder (after backing the certificate up for good measure). I then disabled Remote Desktop and re-enabled it (I don't know if this step is necessary, but I tried it, thinking it might regenerate the certificate). I then tried to connect from my remote machine, and it connected just fine. It appears that the certificate re-generated on the initial connect after I deleted the certificate."

Please revert back here if this does not resolve your issue, we'll assist you further. Hope it helps!

Kunal D Mehta - a Windows Server Enthusiast | My first TechNet Wiki Article
    • Edited by Server Baba Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by rldean Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:09 PM
    Saturday, September 03, 2011 10:22 AM
  • That sounds awesome.  I will have the results for you soon.
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Kudos to you Server Baba and Kunal D. Mehta.  Re-generating the RDP certificate in the Certificate Console was what I needed to to.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Excelelnt answer! It also solved my problem, while the silly IT in our department as asking me to do some stupid hacks on my local machine's registry!

thanks.

Friday, November 16, 2012 12:36 AM
  • I hope this isn't a stupid question, but where would I find the "Remote Desktop certificates folder"?

Never mind.  I found instructions here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9e294bb5-fc76-489d-985f-5063c5636d19/windows-7-repair-install-cannot-connect-via-remote-desktop

Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:03 PM

Officer Dibble

"In the 'Run' field type 'mmc.exe'

File > Add/Remove Snap-in...

Choose 'Certificates' and click on the 'Add' button.

The above poster chose 'Computer'

Complete the options in the next window as to whether you're configuring the local computer or another one elsewhere.

Click 'Finish' and then OK.

In the left panel under 'Console Root' you will see, 'Certificates (Local Computer)'. Click on the small triangle to reveal a list of folders.

Click an the 'Remote Desktop' folder and a 'Certificate' will appear in the next panel.

The above poster said that he/she deleted that certificate and it fixed his problems.

It didn't work for me, but I hope it helps you."

• Edited by ParallaxView Monday, June 24, 2013 8:47 PM Found answer
    Monday, June 24, 2013 8:18 PM