none
Install Windows 7 USB Load Drive A required CD/DVD drive device driver error

Question

• I am trying to do a fresh install on a brand new laptop. I have downloaded a couple of Windows 7 iso images. I have used DiskPart to prepare my USB device and have used the Microsoft usb iso tool to put the Win7 iso image on to the USB device. I always seem to get stuch after I click Install it quickly comes up with a problem.... Load Driver - A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now... I am installing from a USB drive so why does Windows require a CD/DVD driver? How do I get Windows 7 to install?

I have read other forums were people have put it down to a corrupt download but I have tried with a couple of different downloads and same problem everytime!

Please help!

Thanks

Gavin

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

This error message appears if the disk controller mode is incompatible during setup. And it can be caused by your CD/DVD drive may be incompatible with Microsoft’s AHCI driver. To work around this issue, please go to BIOS and disable AHCI mode for your disk controller. You can change the AHCI mode to IDE or ATA mode instead.  

It may also occur if the media is corrupted. Please visit the following link to rebuild the bootable USB stick for Windows Server 2008 R2:  

Building a bootable USB stick for Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2

And please check the USB disk: put the USB disk in other machines and boot to see if it works.

Please make sure that the download files are not corrupted.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:53 AM
  • Hi,

I have changed the disk controller mode from AHCI to ATA and this made no difference. I also followed the link and followed the instructions and again no difference.

I have tried a few different downloaded iso's of Windows 7 so unless they are all corrupt I can't see that being the problem. I have tried different usb sticks and again the same problem happens with each.

I have also tried disabling the optical drive in the bios but again the same problem persists.

I have also looked up downloading the drivers from the dell website but they are all in exe files.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

Gavin

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

Where did you download the ISO images?

You should get it from the official sites.

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:01 AM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 6:01 AM
  • I don't understand how this answers the question. Was the OP using ISOs provided by an organization other than Microsoft? I'm using ISOs downloaded from MSDN, and I'm getting this same problem.
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 10:30 PM