none
All Users Profile & Windows 7

Question

• I have had several customers ask me about the All Users profile in Windows 7.  They want to add shortcuts and other changes like they did in XP.  Generally, I suggest they look at Group Policy Preferences for these type of changes.  I also point them to the whitepaper that suggests using the copyprofile entry in the answerfile during sysprep and using a network default profile. I run into people nearly every month who ask me about this and who are still trying to use XP methods for managing profiles on Windows 7.   Am I missing anything?  Are there other recommendations \ methods to consider?

TIA

Jason Yates

Jason Yates
    Friday, July 09, 2010 3:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• in windows 7, eg %sysdrive%\Users\Public\Desktop would be the Desktop location accessed by all
    Friday, July 09, 2010 4:32 PM
  • Right click the Programs menu and pick 'Open All Users' (c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\)

• Proposed as answer by N. Lopez Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:31 AM
    Friday, July 09, 2010 5:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

Actually, you can just use the same like in Windows XP to manage profiles in Windows 7.

For more information, I suggest you refer to the following article:

Configuring Default User Settings – Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, July 16, 2010 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Forget about pins on the taskbar though.  And if you have more than one account, things get messy.

c:\users\public\desktop is hidden, and appears as 'public desktop' in explorer.  Wierd.

• Proposed as answer by Artdg Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:51 AM
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:52 AM
  • This is the exact location of Windows XP's All Users desktop (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop).  Modified my script file and reference the location of all my desktop shortcuts to c:\users\public\desktop - and it works!  As if I'm running the script thru XP. Simple. Fast and working!  Thanks JS2010!
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:57 AM