none
Windows 7 hangs forever on "Logging Off"/desktop icons and removing programs not "taking"

Question

• HELP!

I am experiencing an issue with my Windows 7 home premium 32 bit system. The logging off screen hangs forever until I manually power it down. Then when it comes back up, I get the "It seems the computer has experienced and unexpected shutdown...(or something like that) Then it gives me the option to boot into safe mode (and others) or to boot normally.

I am also experiencing the desktop icons not staying arranged after I have arranged them (when it comes back up from the failed shutdown).

Anytime I uninstall a program and the computer needs to restart to finish the uninstall, it doesn't complete because of the lack of a complete shutdown.

I have tried uninstalling any recent downloads. The only program I have done any updating to is Microsoft Security Essentials and a multimedia program called GOM Player.

Nothing seems to be working!!

A little help please or another troubelshooting tip?
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi MIrish,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and the hardware drivers first.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you run System File Checker .

If the system files are good, you may also test the issue in Safe Mode and Clean Boot.

What are the results in both modes?

Regards,

Syed Asad Bukhari

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:10 AM
  • Hi MIrish13,

In addition, for your experiencing the desktop icons not staying arranged after you have arranged them. I suggest you can create a new user profile to check if the problem still exits.

Best regards,

Miya Yao

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:08 AM
  • Not having seen a follow up response from @MIrish13, I am not sure how any of the above postings can be marked as "the answer"... (-no offense intended.) I was having the same issue with interminable logging off message as well and looked here to find information and/or a solution to the problem.

I have the most current BIOS from the manufacturer (Dell) and the latest drivers from all vendors (Intel, Realtek, O2Micro, Dell, etc.). I am using a Vostro 1510 with Windows 7 Professional installed from an MSDN downloaded ISO image.

Following Syed’s suggestion, I did run MSConfig, modified some settings, reverted the setting selections and canceled out of msconfig without rebooting, i.e., I made no actual change to the startup/boot config and did not reboot. Then, following Miya’s suggestion, I created a new user profile / local user account and added it to the Administrators group. I was able to successfully log off. I logged back on to the original account, deleted the newly created account and was still able to successfully log off and/or restart the laptop with no issue.

I do not think this is the answer either, not even a fix or solution – at best a kludge. I still do not know what the root cause of the problem is/was. Maybe this post will provide some useful fodder for someone with the same issue.

Best Regards,

Andrew R

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:55 PM