none
Scandisk will not run on start up

Question

•  

On start up scandisk will not run, says autocorrect unable to run due to a previous installed programme, suggests using system restore. Can't as system restore asks for scandisk to run first!!Have run a segate programme no disk faults found. Have run scandisk in command prompt. one error fixed. However on restart still will not run scandisk. in command prompt says c drive is dirty.Any help to solve this problem plse?many thxs

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would recommend you to perform the suggestions mentioned below and check if it helps:

1. Download and use the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. Check if any software that is installed before the issue occur or is not installed and still listed in the tool, remove it.

If you have installed any security software, then disable it temporarily and check if the issue occurs.

2. Use Windows 7 DVD to perform the startup repair.

• Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart the computer.
      • Press a key when you are prompted.
      • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
      • Click Repair your computer.
      • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
      • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click System startup repair.

After it finishes running, take the DVD out, reboot into windows, opened a command prompt and retry the chkdsk. If we still receive the same error message after we finished the above suggestions, go to steps 3.

3. Perform an In-place Upgrade:

Click the following link for information on how to perform an in place upgrade

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by herewegoagain1 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies

• Here is excerpt from previous thread: 
    Click on Start then Run , type cmd and press Enter . Next type fsutil dirty query x: where x: is your boot drive. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next, type chkntfs /x c: . The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another Command Prompt and enter chkdsk c:  /r . Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan and will unset that dirty bit. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive, be patient and let it complete.

Once booted back to Windows, open another Command Prompt and query the dirty bit again by entering fsutil dirty query c: and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Hi thank you for this.

however when I get to the stage in command prompt reply Y to chkdsk c: it tells me that it will happen on reboot. So I restart my laptop and scandisk attempts to run but fails as before, saying autocorrect cannot run due to a previous installation.

How do I get scandisk to ignore this error so it wil run plse?thank you

Thursday, August 30, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Hi,

You may try the following steps:

1. Type chkdsk c:/f in the command promt.

2. Run msconfig,  and click on the Boot tab and click on Safe boot with the minimal button selected.

3. Restart the computer to hopefully have chkdsk run.

If chkdsk still will not run at startup, try running a sfc /scannow command to see if it can fix chkdsk.

Hope it helps.

Tracy Cai

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for this. Alas still cannot run chkdsk or systems restore. Tells me that autocheck cannot run etc.

Ran sfc/scannow nothing found. did run this command a couple of days ago and it found an error and said it was fixed.

Any further advice to get the progs running again plse?

cj matthews

Friday, August 31, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

You may try the following steps to fix the issue.

Before modify the registry keys, please take a backup of the key. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please click the following link to view the article:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

a. Open regedit > Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

b. Check for BootExecute in the right pane

c. Ensure that the default value has been set at:

autocheck autochk * lsdelete

d. If not rightt click on BootExecute and choose Modify and rename it as autocheck autochk * lsdelete .

e. Then Click Ok. 

If still no progress, try this hotfix.

KB975778 - The Chkdsk.exe program does not start correctly on a Windows 7-based computer

Tracy Cai

Monday, September 03, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Hi Thxs for that.

I renamed the reg key, it showed autocheck autochk /k C*. Although on restart went into scan chack did not scan same error messgae came up. Tried the hotfix. Unzipped it but then went to checking download and then said update not asppliccable to my pc!

Any further advice or am I just stuck with no scandisk or system restore?

Any further help plse?

Thxs

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I would recommend you to perform the suggestions mentioned below and check if it helps:

1. Download and use the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. Check if any software that is installed before the issue occur or is not installed and still listed in the tool, remove it.

If you have installed any security software, then disable it temporarily and check if the issue occurs.

2. Use Windows 7 DVD to perform the startup repair.

• Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then restart the computer.
      • Press a key when you are prompted.
      • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
      • Click Repair your computer.
      • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
      • In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click System startup repair.

After it finishes running, take the DVD out, reboot into windows, opened a command prompt and retry the chkdsk. If we still receive the same error message after we finished the above suggestions, go to steps 3.

3. Perform an In-place Upgrade:

Click the following link for information on how to perform an in place upgrade

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Tracy Cai

• Marked as answer by herewegoagain1 Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:00 PM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:21 AM
  • Hi

It worked!!!!

Using your instructions re 2, system start up repair, it fixed the problem and I was able to run system restore.

Thank you so much for  you perserverance with my problem and resolving it!!!

Cheers!!!

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:04 PM
  • You're welcome! Glad to help!

Tracy Cai

Thursday, September 06, 2012 1:02 AM