none
Cannot move, resize Firefox windows

Question

• I installed Windows 7 yesterday and have been using it without many issues until now.  This morning, I have been unable to move or resize my windows in Firefox.  If I hover over the edge of the window, the resize arrows appear.  If I click and drag, it will move for about a half-second and then freeze.  The cursor is locked as the resize arrows.  I cannot click on other portions of the window, other windows, or unhide the taskbar with the cursor.  To get out of the freeze, I must use alt-tab, windows-tab, or another windows-key combination.  After unfreezing, the window is resized back to its original dimensions.

The same behavior occurs if I click the top of the window and drag to move, except the cursor stays as an arrow.

The minimize, enlarge, and close buttons in the top right corner of the window work normally.

The significant actions I performed this morning before the issue were:

- bring computer out of sleep
    - check email in Thunderbird
    - surf internet in Firefox
    - open a PDF in Foxit reader
    - open iTunes (which took an extremely long time, btw)

The issue is similar to but different from one posted in January .  I am running AVG antivirus.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 2:32 PM

Answers

• Have you tried disabling AVG?  I have also had some strange things happen when opening .PDF's inside FF with Foxit.  I would first try uninstalling that and see if that helps the problem.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I didi tests on my computer and do not have similar issue. Could you please test the issue in Safe Mode?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Try disabling all your add-ons. There may be an add-on that messes with your windows size (it's possible for JavaScript to change window size and position, and Firefox extensions are mostly JavaScript).

-Nick
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:21 AM

All replies

• Have you tried disabling AVG?  I have also had some strange things happen when opening .PDF's inside FF with Foxit.  I would first try uninstalling that and see if that helps the problem.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I didi tests on my computer and do not have similar issue. Could you please test the issue in Safe Mode?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Try disabling all your add-ons. There may be an add-on that messes with your windows size (it's possible for JavaScript to change window size and position, and Firefox extensions are mostly JavaScript).

-Nick
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:21 AM
  • Installed Java and got the same problem, disabling Java Add-ons and the problem is solved.
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 10:30 AM
  • I have had this happen several times. It always seems to take about half an hour to remember how to fix it.

By the time that I remember, I have always cleared the history and restarted. I don't think that it is necessary to do so.

In the end, the final answer is this:

Click on the "Maximize" button in the upper right hand corner of your screen. (May require doing it a second time). (Maximize is the box next to the red box with the "x" in it.)

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:14 AM