none
Wiindows 7, E6500, Bluetooth 410+UWB not working

Question

• I have a Dell Latitude E6500 laptop with the Dell 410+UWB bluetooth module, running Windows 7 Enterprise.  Initially, I installed the Vista driver package from Dell since they didn't have a seperate package listed for Win7.  Install went fine, everything seemed normal until I tried pairing up a BT keyboard & mouse.  The Bluetooth indicator tends to just turn off randomly although it will turn back on briefly if I open up the properties for adapter.  No bluetooth device will ever successfully pair up.  So next thing I did was I uninstalled the Dell package and downloaded a package directly from Broadcom that was specifically supposed to work with Win7.  Started the install, but shortly after it errored out saying "please make sure your bluetooth device is turned on".  Of course it is turned on since it is internal to the laptop and I checked the BIOS and it is enabled there.  I know this isn't a hardware issue because the bluetooth works just fine in Ubuntu and in Vista.  So this has to be some kind of weird Win7-specific problem.

Hopefully someone else has experienced this and knows of a solution.  Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to download a public Bluetooth driver for a test.

BlueSoleil 6

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, I'm afraid that you have to wait for another period of time till the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 11, 2010 8:50 AM
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:48 AM

All replies

• I have the exact same work laptop and OS as you. Everything works after installing the Windows 7 drivers from Dell. Here's the 32bit Windows 7 Drivers

and heres the 64bit drivers

Its very important you update the bios and chipset. I did have a few issues with 64bit (domain tools) which was solved when I changed to 32bit

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Edited by cdobbs Wednesday, January 06, 2010 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 4:33 PM
  • One thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, so I'll do that today.  However, at the link you gave, the only bluetooth driver I see on that page is for the 370.  I have the 410.  Do you know if the 370 driver works with the 410?
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:11 PM
  • Well as it turns out, they haven't yet made a Windows 7 driver for that bluetooth. So here's how to get around it. Here's the Vista driver for your 410+UWB for 32bit, or if you are 64bit, then this one and you'd install it in vista compatibility mode HOW TO: Install a Hardware Device Driver using Compatibility Mode

MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    • Proposed as answer by rpmichelson Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by rpmichelson Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 6:19 AM
  • Thanks for all your advice.  Looks like I'll just have to wait until a Win7 driver gets released for the 410.  I updated my BIOS and chipset.  Then ran the driver install in compatibility mode.  Unfortunately the BT light still keeps going in and out and I still can't get any devices to pair up.  Oh well.  I appreciate your help anyway.
    Thursday, January 07, 2010 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Try to download a public Bluetooth driver for a test.

BlueSoleil 6

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If the issue persists, I'm afraid that you have to wait for another period of time till the vendor company to upgrade their device driver. Thanks for your time and understanding!

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, January 11, 2010 8:50 AM
    Friday, January 08, 2010 8:48 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with the M6400 laptop running Win 7 64Bit with the Bluetooth 410.  It seems to turn off all the time and then randomly turn back on.

I will post back if I find a solution.

Eric

Director, Software Development - Allin Interactive
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:53 PM
  • This should solve your intermitancy problem.:

1. Go to your Control Panel, then Device Manager.
    2. Expand the Bluetooth Radios.
    3. Right click on Dell Wireless 410 Bluetooth Device and select properties.
    4. Go to the Power Management tab and un-check the box that reads Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    5. Problem sovelved (or should solve).

Hope this helps
    Frank

• Proposed as answer by FrankSG Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:06 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Great Answer from "cdobbs"...  A modified solution worked for me on a Dell M4400 Laptopp runnig Windows 7 64 Bit with a "Dell Wireless 410 Bluetooth Device".

From the Dell Support website support.dell.com going to the M4400 drivers, I downloaded the Vist 64 Bit driver and installed it in "Windows Vista" Compatibility Mode as described in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/80cae5ee-dc98-4a2f-8284-a1ab826059b7

Shortly after that, Windows 7 notified me there was an driver problem and directed me to a download link on the dell website.  I let it install.  Seems to be working fine!

Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Drivers are now available from the manufacturer -Broadcom.  http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php all in one complete in one download.
    Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:38 AM