none
Windows Update Files location

Question

• Apologies if this isn't posted in the correct forum.

I was wondering if anyone knew where the Windows Update files are located in Vista?

They seem to be hidden away pretty good compared to XP/2003 which simply sat in the "Windows" dir.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:54 AM

Answers

• Windows Update files are located in windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder

while updates are installing their file attributes is set hidden and system you must show hidden and protected files

some updates is removed from this folder

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Windows Vista hides update files so that offline updates can't be re-used for non genuine copies of Windows Vista.

Good luck

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 6:35 PM
  • I think you may have misunderstood.

In previous versions of Windows, when you ran windows update, it backed up files created hidden dir's in the Windows dir such as "$NtUninstallKB12345$" etc. These folders contained rollback information and files incase you wanted to undo the changes that the hotfix applied.

So I need the Vista equivalent location of these rollback files simply so I can delete them and recover some space on the system partition.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:43 AM
  •  Infuriated_Germ wrote:

I think you may have misunderstood.

I told you they hide it. So I know it does exist some where!
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Windows Update files are located in windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder

while updates are installing their file attributes is set hidden and system you must show hidden and protected files

some updates is removed from this folder

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 7:07 PM