none
Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center - Problems with Activation

Question

• Hello.

I was one of those who tried Windows 8 early and got a Windows Media Center key for free.

Today through Dreamspark Premium I got a Windows 8.1 key.

I normally used my new Windows 8.1 key and Windows 8.1 were activated successfully and because I remembered I had a Windows Media Center into my e-mail archive folder I used it in "Add features to Windows 8".

Windows accepted the key, added Windows Media Center and rebooted.

After the reboot, Windows 8.1 got deactivated and it won't accept my genuine Windows 8.1 Pro key.

I do not wish to format my pc or re-install everything . I just want to activate my Windows 8.1.

I do not care about Windows Media Center, I just want to activate them with my genuine key.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 1:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• I have the same problem, wrote to Microsoft today.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi,

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you to contact Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone to verify the product key and activate your system.

To start the Product Activation Wizard, follow these steps:

1. At the Start screen, swipe in from the right side, or hover your mouse in the upper-right corner of the screen to display the charms menu.

2. Tap or click the Settings charm.

3. Tap or click Change PC Settings.

4. If your PC is not activated, PC Settings will provide instructions that are customized to your activation error. If telephone support can provide help for your error, tap or click the appropriate link, which may resemble one of the following:

a. Activate

b. Activate by phone

c. Contact customer support for help

For the detail information, refer to the following link:

How to contact a Microsoft Product Activation Center by telephone:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Additionally, if the issue still persists, I suggest you contact Dream spark support for help.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Support.aspx

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Saturday, November 02, 2013 2:06 AM
  • At "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" (in the System window), if you type in a Media Center key (for Windows 8 Pro) that expired on 31 January 2013 then your operating system becomes unusable; it can no longer be activated. You can't purchase and install a new Media Center key to replace the bad one either.

At "Get more features with a new edition of Windows", if you type a Media Center key that won't work then it should say "Product key no longer valid" and should not proceed with the installation. Instead, it incorrectly says "Your key works. Continue when ready" and irreversibly converts your Windows copy into one that cannot be activated. Then (if you started with a Windows 7 computer) you have to clean-install Windows 7 with SP1, upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro with your Windows 8 Pro upgrade product key, update it to Windows 8.1 Pro, then purchase and install the $9.99 Media Center product key. And, of course, install all of your programs.

Sunday, December 22, 2013 5:31 PM
  • At "Get more features with a new edition of Windows" (in the System window), if you type in a Media Center key (for Windows 8 Pro) that expired on 31 January 2013 then your operating system becomes unusable; it can no longer be activated. You can't purchase and install a new Media Center key to replace the bad one either.

At "Get more features with a new edition of Windows", if you type a Media Center key that won't work then it should say "Product key no longer valid" and should not proceed with the installation. Instead, it incorrectly says "Your key works. Continue when ready" and irreversibly converts your Windows copy into one that cannot be activated. Then (if you started with a Windows 7 computer) you have to clean-install Windows 7 with SP1, upgrade it to Windows 8 Pro with your Windows 8 Pro upgrade product key, update it to Windows 8.1 Pro, then purchase and install the $9.99 Media Center product key. And, of course, install all of your programs.

I agree this is ugly.

If you never used the key, it won't work and I agree the behavior should be less
    destructive. Not sure if you have your 8.1 key if SLUI might get you out of this

1)Press windows key and R key together to display the run box..

2) Type Slui 3

3) activation wizard should display so you can type on your older key.

If you install 8.1 as an upgrade to 8.0 over an activated WMC, it is supposed to
    retain activation.

I'm not sure if calling customer support using the numbers at
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/activation-errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0 and
    explaining the issue would help.

-- Barb Bowman

Monday, December 23, 2013 10:28 AM
  • I am having the same issue - upgraded to Windows 8.1 over an activated Windows 8 with activated WMC.

Despite spending over an hour and a half today with the Microsoft activation support desk, they are unable to resolve the issue and I am still unable to activate.

The recommended next step is to revert back to Windows 8 with WMC, and make attempts to install / uninstall WMC. Given that I installed Windows 8 as an upgrade to Window 7, I presume that I would need to install Windows 7, then Windows 8, in order to diagnose this problem.

It is clear the technician was guessing, and hoping this might fix the situation. Perhaps Microsoft expects their customers to invest hours of their own time debugging activation issues for them, but I do not have the time nor the inclination.

Additionally, the technician kept referring to the fact that I had WMC as 'the problem'. There is nothing I have done here that is outside the prescribed path with Microsoft publishes and encourages their customers to follow.

This situation is absurd. If Microsoft is unable or unwilling to fix it, then at the very least, Windows 8.1 is not in my future, and quite possibly I will go ahead and convert to OS X.

There is no excuse for putting customers through this nonsense.

Thursday, April 03, 2014 4:53 PM

I can disagree with the part if install after January 31 the key will no longer work. I have installed a fresh copy of my windows 8, activating the windows 8, then used media center key and register with no issues at all. I then used windows store to update my windows 8 to 8.1, all is still registered. I just did this 2 weeks ago when I installed my new SSD drive. However, I cannot install windows 8.1 and use the free media center Key to activate windows 8.1 with media center.
    Friday, April 04, 2014 2:47 AM
  • On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:53:12 +0000, Knick Knickerbocker wrote:

>There is no excuse for putting customers through this nonsense.

do you have a support ticket number?

-- Barb Bowman
    Friday, April 04, 2014 1:19 PM
  • On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 02:47:42 +0000, colakid wrote:

>I can disagree with the part if install after January 31 the key will no longer work. I have installed a fresh copy of my windows 8, activating the windows 8, then used media center key and register with no issues at all.

if you INITIALLY install before 1/31/2013 and reinstall W8 original, then it
    will activate and register. the key is that you must have already done the
    activation the first time and reinstall on the same machine, it is supposed to
    work.

>I then used windows store to update my windows 8 to 8.1, all is still registered. I just did this 2 weeks ago when I installed my new SSD drive.

correct

>However, I cannot install windows 8.1 and use the free media center Key to activate windows 8.1 with media center.

correct. some people have had success calling support, explaining the
    situation, providing the original key and whatever else support asks for and are
    provided with a new key that works. from what I hear, it depends on which agent
    you get on the phone.

-- Barb Bowman
    Friday, April 04, 2014 1:23 PM
  • I am in the same situation. Had WIndows 7. Installed windows 8 4 weeks ago. Then updates for windows 8. The download 8.1 and install. Then the updates for 8.1. Installed media center. Cannot activate because the WIndows 8 PRO key does not work with what is now Windows 8 with Media Center.

I don't find a way to uninstall Media Center in such a way that my OS reverts to Windows 8.1 PRO.

Reinstallation where I live (Indonesia) with slow internet takes THREE days.

Thank you very much Microsoft for this extremely stupid implementation and no way to solve the problems that are the consequence of it.

Friday, May 09, 2014 3:51 PM
  • On Fri, 9 May 2014 15:51:14 +0000, Marc De Smet Bali wrote:

>I am in the same situation. Had WIndows 7. Installed windows 8 4 weeks ago. Then updates for windows 8. The download 8.1 and install. Then the updates for 8.1. Installed media center. Cannot activate because the WIndows 8 PRO key does not work with what is now Windows 8 with Media Center.
    >
    >I don't find a way to uninstall Media Center in such a way that my OS reverts to Windows 8.1 PRO.

I suggest you try telephone support
    steps you took. I don't know when you purchased your key for the Pro with Media
    Center Feature Pack, but you should explain that to the support folks. Hopefuly
    they will supply a new key to activate. I can't promise this will happen, but
    you should attempt to speak with them.

-- Barb Bowman
    Saturday, May 10, 2014 11:49 AM