none
Downgrade me from Windows 8 to 7

Question

•  How can I go from Windows 8 that came on my new PC, back to Windows 7 /64bit. Win 7 install doesn't like the GPT partitions, and since the computer didn't even come with any OS disk, there is no partitioning software. (There are no utilities on the Win 7 disk either.) I have a Gateway DX4870 w/ 1TB HD w/ factory installed OS.

Windows 8 sucks big time. If I wanted a tablet I would have just bought one! I cant even print a web page or mail, and the Explorer has no file search. Where is the functionality? Why do I have to go to the Start screen to switch apps. There are no tabs to switch between them. The browser is a nightmare. Microsoft spent decades improving the look and feel of Windows and all of a sudden it's half of what it was. Do I have to buy a Pro version to get past basic?

Sunday, December 09, 2012 3:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you want to revert to Win7 without buying the OS, you'll have to contact Gateway to see whether they'll support the downgrade. They seem to offer Win7 drivers for the machine, so you're good there.

As far as I know, Windows 7 is perfectly happy with GPT partitions. If  you wish to boot from one, it requires X64. That seems like sort of a non sequitur, though.

As an alternative, install Classic Start Menu (freeware). It'll allow most of the Win7 menu features to appear in the Desktop mode. There will be no need to spend any time in the modern (Metro, or Windows Store) interface.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 5:09 AM
  • I added more details to my previous comments. I have a copy of every version of DOS and of Windows from 3.1 to Win 7 /x64. My first computer was an Apple II+ (I worked in the store that sold them), but as computers have become more reliable and I have less free time I have lost touch with all the utilities I was so expert at. I'm sure I have some partitioning software on a floppy disk somewhere, but I sure it's of no use now. The utilities used to be on the install disk from previous versions of windows, but the current versions don't seem to have any. Does Microsoft have something I can download for free? 
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Hi ,

You can use Disk Management to partition and format a hard disk in Windows 7 and Windows 8.

To open the Disk-Management, Start RUN with keys [Win-Logo]+[R] and type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter to open the Disk-Management.

In Windows 8, you can press the key combination [Win-Logo]+[X] simply click on Disk Management. And open directly Disk Management.

Disk Management

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770943.aspx

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Also you have to disable the secure boot and set "Lauch CSM" from never to always in the BIOS otherwise it won't load the disk. (I thought I'd post this because I just spent 5 hours scouring the internet for an answer to why it wouldn't load my windows 7 disk.)
    Thursday, February 06, 2014 6:22 PM