none
Driver Installation Module has stopped working

Question

•  

Just got a brand new Sony laptop and it has a registered version of Vista Home Premium.

But I keep on getting the error messages "Driver Installation Module has stopped working"

I get this error:

> whenever i boot my laptop since I have partitioned by hard disk using shrink volume. And it is not able to install driver for the hard drive. (Hard disk works perfectly OK)

> whenever i switch on my Bluetooth. It tries to install drivers for the same. (Again, Bluetooth works perfectly OK)

Is it because, the drivers havealready been installed? If so, how do I stop Vista from throwing this error everytime? Its so annoying

And ya, clicking on "Do not ask me again" doesnt seem to work!

Below is the dump regarding the problem

Product

Driver Installation Module

Problem

Stopped working

Date

22-04-2008 19:04

Status

Solution Available

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: DrvInst.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549ad51

Fault Module Name: USER32.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9

Exception Code: c0000142

Exception Offset: 00008fc7

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 16393

Additional Information 1: 9d13

Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Additional Information 3: 9d13

Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID: 363224794

And regarding the solution available in the dump, it just says "windows from microsoft hav caused this error..blah blah"

Please help me out.. This is turning out to be really annoying!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

When did you find this issue begin? After upgrading to SP1 or other updates, or after a specific program installed? Did you install any USB devices? You can try to uninstall them for a test.

If you are using an OEM version of Windows Vista, I think the manufacture is the best resource for this issue.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When did you find this issue begin? After upgrading to SP1 or other updates, or after a specific program installed? Did you install any USB devices? You can try to uninstall them for a test.

If you are using an OEM version of Windows Vista, I think the manufacture is the best resource for this issue.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:41 AM
  • the issue began right since I started my laptop for the very first time. The time I started the bluetooth functionality.

So, I guess, its not due to any new devices or service pack.

Ya, for the same prob with Hard Drive, it started after I partitioned it. But then, driver installer will work (or rather fail to work) only if it finds a new hardware..

Well, I called up Microsoft and they told me that since its OEM, I should contact Sony.

Called up Sony. The tech guy told me to restore my Vista using the recovery disks!!!

I hope that will solve the problem. After all, its the "Cntrl-Alt-Del" for any OS problems!!!

But I was wondering what would be the cause of this issue. If i could find a way out of it without formatting everything and then re-installing Vista to factory default!

Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:31 AM