none
XP Mode Freezes

General discussion

• I have Windows 7 loaded on a newly built computer consisting of the following components:

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P System Board
    Intel i7-920 Processor
    12 Gb Corsair DDR3 Ram
    nVidia GeForce 9800GT PCI-e Graphics Card

After loading the 64 bit version of Windows 7 I loaded the 64 bit Virtual PC Beta and then the 64 bit XP Mode Beta.

I am finding that the XP window freezes for approximately 30 seconds at random intervals ranging from 10 seconds to 3 1/2 minutes. I checked the properties of My Computer in the XP window and found that the memory allocated to the XP virtual machine was only 256 MB. After some searching I found the settings and I increased the memory allocation to 1024 MB. That change did not help. As is the XP mode is unusable due to the freezing.

I will update this post if I have anything further to contribute.

JeanD
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 10:33 PM

All replies

• Can you try to change your network setting from "Shared Networking(NAT)" to "External Network" and see if you still see the freezes. You will find this option in the Settings.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 9:39 AM
  • In Settings the choices are:

Not Connected
    Internal Network
    Shared Networking (NAT)
    Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS6.2)

The default that was selected is Shared Networking (NAT), I don't see a chpice for External Network. Which of the above do you recommend trying?

JeanD
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion. The last one is the External Network. Try that.
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:14 AM
  • That seems to solve the freezing issue. Apparently the default "Shared Networking (NAT)" does not work very well.

Thanks,
    Friday, June 05, 2009 5:49 PM
  • You solved the same problem for me with that bit of advice. Thanks!

Steve Samson
    Monday, June 22, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Hi. I had to google where to find settings in WIN7 64 bit Ultimate. I've gotten to the PCI Network Adapter (realtek) but when I right click and view properties I don't see NAT or External Network.

Can you direct me?

Thank you.

Bob

Monday, June 23, 2014 5:35 PM