none
Boot from Windows 7 option gone from boot menu after re-installing XP Professional

Question

• Hello,

I am hoping there is a simple solution that is eluding me, which someone knows to save me re-installing Windows 7.

I had Windows 7 installed on my first disk  “E” drive and Windows XP Professional on my “C” drive (both partitioned) and all my data on a 2nd hard disk (“D”) and all worked perfectly.

However since I've "re-installed Windows XP" I can no longer access Windows 7, as it is no longer on my boot menu. Basically I need to know is there a way to get Windows 7 back in my boot menu so I can access it again without having to re-installing Windows 7 hopefully.

Kind Regards
    Paul Evans
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:03 PM

Answers

• Yes. And this is very strange. During the reinstallation of XP this file should not be deleted.
    Because XP knows nothing about Vista or Win7. 
    Are You sure that Your Windows explorer shows all hidden and system files?
    In any case, copy the file bootmgr from
    the root directory of Win7 installation DVD to the partition where ntldr is placed.
    This should recover Win7 boot. Whether XP boot will be recovered as well depends of
    whether the folder "boot" exists on the boot partition.
    In any case the XP boot option can be added to the boot menu (supposing Win7 will boot)
    with the program EasyBCD.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:52 PM

All replies

• There are many ways to do this. The simplest seems to me the following one.

To restore Windows 7 boot menu:
    1) Find the partition, where the file bootmgr (and ntldr) is situated in the root directory.
    This is the boot partition. Suppose it is E: To restore the old boot menu
    one is just to restore Win7 boot sector of this partition.
    Run from the command line the command "bootsect.exe /NT60 E:"
    The program bootsect.exe can be found inside the folder "boot" of Win7 installation DVD.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi,
    Sorry for the delay, only I lost the ability to boot into Windows XP totally, then a friend said use F8 command and run the "Last known good Configuration" command.

This may have been my fault; as I could only find the ntldr file, the only other file beginning with boot was the boot.ini file. So I ran the command line you gave me from the RUN button after I browsed to the Windows 7 disc, when it didn't do anything after re-booting, I changed the (E:) to C: as at least that partition had the ntldr file, unfortunately when I re-booted it stopped loading even Windows XP.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:
    My boot.ini file (C:) contents are below
    [boot loader]
    timeout=9
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /SOS /noguiboot
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal/sos/bootlog
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

In my root of Windows 7 the files are:
    autoexec.bat
    bootsqm.dat
    config.sys
    hiberfil.sys

In my root of Windows XP the files are:
    AUTOEXEC.BAT
    BOOT.BAK
    boot.ini
    cmldr
    CONFIG.SYS
    debug.log
    IO.SYS
    MSDOS.SYS
    NTDETECT.COM
    ntldr

As you can see there is no file called bootmgr, is that the problem?

Regards
    Paul Evans
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Yes. And this is very strange. During the reinstallation of XP this file should not be deleted.
    Because XP knows nothing about Vista or Win7. 
    Are You sure that Your Windows explorer shows all hidden and system files?
    In any case, copy the file bootmgr from
    the root directory of Win7 installation DVD to the partition where ntldr is placed.
    This should recover Win7 boot. Whether XP boot will be recovered as well depends of
    whether the folder "boot" exists on the boot partition.
    In any case the XP boot option can be added to the boot menu (supposing Win7 will boot)
    with the program EasyBCD.
    Friday, July 10, 2009 2:52 PM
  • Hi,
    Sorry for the delay, I think unless the information below makes any sense to you I'm going to forget about Windows 7, it has taken me until now to get back into XP.
    What you advised me to do got me into Windows 7 OK. Unfortunately when I tried to use the program EasyBCD all it would let me set was the partition I was already in. All the other partitions in EasyBCD were greyed out!
    Also every time I tried to show the hidden files it said low level access was denied!!

I did get another error message but I've forgotten at which point it happened see below:
    File; \Boot\BCD
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data
    Code: 8024402C

In the end because I use XP for everything I had to use the XP DVD to get back access to the XP partition.
    However thank you very much for all your help.
    Regards
    Paul Evans
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:28 PM