none
USBscan.SYS file

Question

• Hello,

While trying to install my CANON AIO I'm getting an error during the installation. The error is "An error occurred while files were being copied". I was able to resesarch and was able to figure out that VISTA is looking for the USBscan.sys file in the incorrect location. The install was looking for the file in the folder

C:\Windows\Drivers and C:\Windows\Inf

Can someone explain why the install is lookign for the usbscan.sys file in the incorrect location?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Normally, the USBscan.SYS file can be found in C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sti.inf_727905e0, you can copy the file to C:\Windows\Drivers and C:\Windows\Inf, then restart the computer to test the issue again.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Before moving on, could you please let me know your printer model?

The issue seems you are trying to install a printer driver which has compatibility problem with Windows Vista. Given the situation, I suggest you go to Canon official website to download the latest driver for your product.

For your convenience:

Canon DRIVERS AND DOWNLOADS

http://www.canonusa.com/opd/controller?act=OPDDownloadDropDownAct

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 06, 2008 6:18 AM
  • Hi Robinson,

Thanks for your help on this.

I'm using the MP520 MFP and I already did download and install the latest driver from Canon's support site with no luck.

The driver posted listed Vista as being compatible.

For Vista, did Microsoft changed the location of USBscan.sys file? Could this be the reason why?

Again, thanks very much for your help.

Monday, October 06, 2008 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update.

Normally, the USBscan.SYS file can be found in C:\Windows\system32\DriverStore\FileRepository\sti.inf_727905e0, you can copy the file to C:\Windows\Drivers and C:\Windows\Inf, then restart the computer to test the issue again.

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:21 AM
  • Thanks for your help Robinson.

I'm now able to install my printer.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Hi, I don't have that file in the filerepository folder.  I'm getting the same error message.  I searched for usbscan.sys on the hard drive and it is not there.  Where can I get that file to put it on the computer so that I can use my scanner?  I have a cannon Pixma MX700 series and it use to work perfectly - no issues at all.   Now it doesn't see the scanner.  It will let me print though. 
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:44 PM