none
Windows 8 RTM shows Black Screen After Restarts

Question

• Yeah like the title i am gettin black screen only after restarts.

May Laptop is a MSI CX640 and here are the specifications:

• CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2410M
    • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M 1GB DDR3 and also an onboard intel gpu
    • HDD: 500 GB
    • Memory: DDR3 6GB - (2GB*3)
    • DVD Super - Multi
    • RF: 802.11b/g/n , w/o BT
    • Keyboard: Turkish
    • Battery: 6 Cells
    • OS: Windows 8 Pro RTM x64 - Installed Turkish Language Pack
    • I also enabled Hiper-V (if thats the issue idk)

Only after restart i am getting black screen and i've to push power button twice to make Welcome Screen come. I know some guys suggested that "try disabling Nvidia gpu in bios" but there is no option for disabling Nvidia in Bios. There is no problem while starting refresh but as i said beforeit only occurs when i restart or a program wants to restart. Hope the given info helps.

Thanks...

• Edited by Yasar Tuna Saturday, September 22, 2012 8:48 AM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:46 PM

All replies

• I suggest to postyour issue in your PC manufacturer's support and forum too.

Try install latest BIOS and GPU driver and update your Windows.

Tka e a look at event viewer and see if there is any warning or error during the time of booting?

Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:07 PM
  • I upgraded GPU and BIOS.

Windows is up to date. Here is the Event Viewer Result:

Event Viewer Log in Excel

And i posted it on msi forum:

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=161255.0

• Edited by Yasar Tuna Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:28 AM
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Does the issue occur with other monitors?

Check BIOS settings, make sure that over clock is turned off.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:32 AM
  • It's in factory settings and overlock is disabled. i didn't try it but as soon as possible i ll check it and share the consequences.

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:17 PM
  • I was having this same problem, with the Preview and RTM Versions, I have a Dell E6400 and after install it would look good then after reboot it would go to a very dark almost dim/black screen. I tried everything, BIOS, drivers, and nothing worked EXCEPT, I went and disabled the BUILT-IN Windows 8 Ambient Sensor application from controlling my screen brightness, and it worked. It no longer goes dim or black after boot, sleep, or resume!

Almost forgot, in order to change the settings go into Control Panel, then System and Security, Power Options, Edit Your plans settings, go to the Display Option, then locate "Enable Adaptive brightness" and turn them to off for both plugged in and on battery.

Hope this helps!

Jason

• Proposed as answer by Jason Everling Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Jason Everling Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Jason Everling Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:00 PM
    • Edited by Jason Everling Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:12 PM Add How-To
    • Unproposed as answer by Yasar Tuna Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:10 AM
    Saturday, September 01, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Well Jason i changed "Enable Adaptive brightness" in to off (plugged in and on battery) but nothing changed. Still getting dim/black screen after restarts.
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 12:55 PM
  • aww :( That stinks, I also removed the Intel Video driver/adapter from Device Manager and let Windows install whichever one's it wanted to after reboot, not sure if it was the driver I installed from windows update but it rolled back to previous driver version and I am currently not letting windows update my drivers from Microsoft Update.

Can you plug in a second monitor to your laptop using a VGA cable or whichever adapter your laptop uses and close the lid to your laptop so the 2nd screen is the primary display.

Jason

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Let me tell you what i've done and consequences.

1- I disabled Intel Video driver/adapter and keep going with Nvidia driver

Restarted laptop. It opened but resolution in 1024/768. Checked the "Screen Resolution" its grey i cant choose another one. So i enabled Intel Video driver/adapter. (i admit its too tricky because when i did it screen went dim/black.

2- And i decided to plug laptop to my tv. As i pluged in everything is fine Intel Video driver/adapter is enabled. Restarts are fine (plugged in tv). But when i disconnected tv and restarted my old problem appeared.

I even updated Intel Video driver from 9.17.10.2768 to WHQL version 15.28.0.64.2792 (9.17.10.2792) nothing changed.

Result: Still having the same problem.

• Edited by Yasar Tuna Tuesday, September 04, 2012 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 6:45 PM
  • What happens if you temporarily disable Hyper-V (from admin command prompt):

bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off    (and then reboot)

To re-enable later:
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype on    (and then reboot)

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Nothing changed.

Let me clarify. After the Windows 8 RTM installation finished, pc restarted. Since this time i'm getting black screen. And Hiper-V can be activated after you select it from Add/Remove Programs.

Still unsolved...
    • Edited by Yasar Tuna Monday, September 10, 2012 6:31 PM
    Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:27 PM
  • I have a MSI CX640 too, bit different configuration, but I also have this stupid problem. :@

Sunday, September 23, 2012 11:42 AM
  • Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Do you use GPT? MS released an update for Windows 8 to fix it:

Windows 8 restarts to a blank screen after a standard shutdown or hibernation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756559/en-us

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 8:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Try to check and fix errors in file system (i.e. NTFS) on the system volume manually.

Problem ref.: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/0e76e9e6-bc10-4bda-83a6-6aa3c6b65c2e

Take some WinPE media and run chkdsk C: /F.

I.e. if you do not have a special WinPE disk ready ... then for WinPE you can use the Win8 installation media if you have it on a USB stick, DVD or some other removeable/remote media. When the setup and prompts you in the UI to start interacting with it - then press SHIFT+F10 to access a command prompt and run chkdsk C: /F.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Do you use GPT? MS released an update for Windows 8 to fix it:

Windows 8 restarts to a blank screen after a standard shutdown or hibernation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756559/en-us

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

May be I have also seen this with MBR partitions - I am not using GPT (yet). The symptoms "Windows 8 restarts to a blank screen after a standard shutdown or hibernation" I have observed -  so for anyone else using MBR - this may also be worth a try.

But check the file system on the system volume also to resolve ... Windows 8 just started to receive patching ... and more will come. Thats life as an early adopter before general release and may be the first couple of months after that ...

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:35 PM
  • I have this problem most of the time on win8 rtm x64 pro on a DELL XPS 15.

Intel HD drivers from windows update (personally I'd expect these to be the problem)
    Nvidia 420m with driver version 306.23

I don't have UEFI and am not using GPT

I installed the hotfix from  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756559/en-us and it hasn't helped at all sadly.

If I try to RDP into the machine from pocketcloud, it does connect but win8 sends a message to the screen 'a device attached to the machine has failed to start' and then disconnects.

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:06 AM
  • I checked out the hotfix on my MSI CX640 but nothing....

Also tried the 32 bit version of Windows 8 but it has this bug too...

Oh and I also asked MSI about the problem before and the same answer. That's what they call support, it’s a joke....

• Edited by TheDriv3r Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:48 PM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 4:48 PM
  • I have the same issue bt I figure out not the cause but the way to log in the windows :D
    when after restart every thing goes black just press the sleep or power button to sleep your laptop and then wake it up there you go and you will see login screen . Now move ahead. Make sure you set your power button to sleep in control panel power option other u cant make it to sleep and dark screen persists . .. !
    • Edited by Haris Bashir Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:01 PM
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Yeah its another solution but why can't we use shut down, restart as normal people :)

• Proposed as answer by dvdlnr Monday, January 07, 2013 8:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by dvdlnr Monday, January 07, 2013 8:01 AM
    Sunday, September 30, 2012 9:12 AM
  • In my case the solution were disable ENE Card Reader drivers (storage controllers). Now, the laptop (Win 8 PRO) suspend and hibernate perfectly!
    Monday, January 07, 2013 8:01 AM