none
lost sidebar.exe auto start

Answers

• @Jens 
    The asker is right you know. There is no visible sidebar, but the thing does exist, and is launched here:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run   
    Sidebar    Windows Desktop Gadgets     c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe 

Create an empty textfile, copy the last three lines of this post into it, save as whatever.reg and then (through right click) merge it. Restart and the thing will be back.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Sidebar"="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Sidebar\\sidebar.exe /autoRun"

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

• Windows 7 do not have a sidebar. Gadgets are placed on the Desktop.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 12:55 AM
  • Also, gadgets will not work or display the gadget selection dialogue box if you have UAC turned to minimum.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Jens Peter Karlsen said:

Windows 7 do not have a sidebar. Gadgets are placed on the Desktop.

I talk about sidebar.exe , the Process that provide Gadgets on the Desktop.

Every time I start the PC, I must do a right click on Destop, and select "Gadgets" to start the sidebar.exe.

I can't say what has delete the auto start Entry.

Vista has a checkbox for "auto start" sidebar.exe, W7 hasn't it.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:48 PM
  • @Jens 
    The asker is right you know. There is no visible sidebar, but the thing does exist, and is launched here:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run   
    Sidebar    Windows Desktop Gadgets     c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe 

Create an empty textfile, copy the last three lines of this post into it, save as whatever.reg and then (through right click) merge it. Restart and the thing will be back.

Added by Forum Moderator:

Warning: While this solution solves the issue or problem, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. For more information about modifying the registry, see Microsoft support article 256986.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Zeus76 said:

Thanks, that is the same Entry like in Vista, I read that:

http://apros.blogs.ie/2008/10/24/command-for-control-vista-sidebar/

and was not sure, do W7 use "sidebar.exe /detectMem", whatever that is/do.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:45 PM
  • You're welcome mate. ;-)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 8:09 AM
  • I can reproduce the Problem.

As Gadget Developer and for testing new Gadgets, I do following steps:
    - exit sidebar.exe (in W7 by Task Manager)
    - rename my big settings.ini in User Profile (save it and sidebar.exe must create a new small settings.ini)
    - open Gadget Gallery, add the Test Gadget
    - remove the Test Gadget, while Gallery is open
    - close the Gallery

now you have lost the sidebar.exe start Entry, because you have delete the last Gadget on Desktop, W7 don't ask you like in Vista

- I delete the new empty settings.ini and rename the saved settings.ini back
    - and start the sidebar.exe

All seems Ok, but when you start the PC new, the sidebar.exe Process don't start.

Monday, March 16, 2009 12:53 PM