none
Windows XP SP3 and Internet Explorer 8 problems

Question

• I have discovered some major issues with internet explorer version 8.  IE8 can not be intalled prior to SP3.  It can only be installed after SP3.  It causes problems of slowness and timeouts, and will not operate correctly.

IE8 also has page displays problems.  Websites that have pages aligned up and down vertically will display items to the right or left.

IE8 will eventully become so slow it begins to lock up the computer.  De-Installing IE8 will correct these problems.  IE7 does not have those problems.

I do not know if it can be reinstalled without causing problems.

Please advise.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• To start with make sure that the machine involved meets the system requirements for IE8. also IE8 has different defaults than IE7 did, try resetting the defaults and seeing if that takes care of things, go to "Internet Options" and on the "Advanced" tab click the "reset" radio button at the bottom immediately after the installation. that sets the defaults for IE8 to begin with
    Monday, November 02, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Ahhhhh.  Why do you assume the computer does not meet the requirements?  Intel quad core motherboard and 3 gigs of RAM. Windows 7 Beta testing and RC testing. 

I have given a technical problem associated with internet explorer 8.  You can not installed internet explorer 8 before sp3.  it causes problems. And when updates to IE8 are installed the problems get worse.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 7:47 PM
  • since you didnt specify what your system was, I was just making sure that you were aware of the system requirements. but I personally know that IE8 will install with SP2, have you tried setting the defaults with it? there have been some issues of updating to SP3 after the IE8, and uninstalling before updating then re-installing usually takes care of that, but IE8 will work with SP2
    Monday, November 02, 2009 8:05 PM
  • I did not say it did not work with SP2.  I said it can not be installed prior to installing SP3.  It causes problems.

To fix the problems.  IE8 should not be installed until after SP3.  It should also be blocked from installation until SP3 is installed.

I am stating a major problem with IE8.  In other words IE8 should either be fixed or blocked totally from installation unitl SP3 is installed.  And the same goes with SP2 with Vista.

Monday, November 02, 2009 11:42 PM
  • As stated by  securityguy14
    Please run IE8 Reset: HERE IT IS

I have run IE8 both installed before and after install of SP3, the only issue I have encountered is if you install SP3 before IE8 install, you cannot uninstall IE8 (back to IE7)
    Therefore, I usually update to SP3 and then install IE8 (but realistically, either way has not caused me any issues what so ever)
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009 10:50 AM
  • My system is: Windows XP Professional-SP3. Internet Explorer 8 also.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I installed SP-3 in 2009. I installed internet Explorer in 2011.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 5:58 AM
  • hi

i have Windows XP SP3 with a IE7 installed and when i updated the OS from Windows Update it asked to install the IE8 so i said Sure go ahead. Now the IE8 Gives me a message Like:

--------------------------------

Iexplore.exe - Ordinal Not Found

The Ordinal 650 Could not be located in the Dynamic Link Library iertutil.dll

---------------------------------

how can i Solve this Problem please,

Thank you

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Having like pblms. Xp home , SP3 & IE8 ,  After IE8 upgrade, w/no other changes. For a short time inbound OE would flash me with one of the results page from my prior browsing. This stopped, but now OE pages come in a (looks like a text doc format), no pics, just  page full of URLs & there is no yellow bar inf  ('click here to view pics) ; I  must hit "Forward" where it will display properly. I also lost all of my long list of "Favorites".  Not good !  Another pblm is that (using AVG)  after a short browsing run I continually get a pop up box telling me IE is using an excessive amount of storeage & must be shut down.   This over & over again.  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks 

ps. If this space allowed I could show a screen of an inbound OE msg as Opened & after hitting "Forward".

Frank L. Nettleton

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 3:28 AM