none
DVD Drive not in My Computer or Device Manager

Question

• Okay, so I was updating some M$ updates and restarted the computer, then I went to burn something onto a DVD, it went very slow, it basically came to a halt; it stalled. In My Computer, the drive is non-existent. I checked on Device Manager, also non-existent. I am at a loss of words what happened.

My model is: MATSHITA DVD-ram UJ870BJ
    I have searched through Google and came out with nothing.

Before it fully disappeared, it had this error:
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I have did what some people suggested and deleted the Lowerfilter or whatever and nothing. I went to Panasonic for that model, no driver. I went to Sony for their drivers, but it's only for Vista, I tweaked it to be able to work with Windows 7 but it is still no good. The drive, physically, it works fine.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Is the running speed slow now? If any third party burning program installed, please temporarily remove it.  You can also test it in
    Clean Boot mode.

If it still does not work, how about doing a system restore to the day before installing Windows Update and then installing the updates one by one?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, January 25, 2010 6:50 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:35 AM

All replies

• Okay so, I now have my DVD drive ready and it is showing in My Computer and Device Manager.

Sorry but I forgot to add, I am under OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit.

Now, since it is showing and whatnot, the DVD drive is VERY slow, for example. I would right click on the DVD drive in My Computer and it would take FOREVER for the right click menu to show. Can someone tell me why??
    • Proposed as answer by godzilla1616 Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:23 AM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:58 AM
  • 1.       Click start

2.       Select or type run depending on OS

3.       In text box type (regedit ) and press ok or enter

4.       Click the arrow to the left of (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

5.       Same again on (SYSTEM) underneath.

6.       Same again on (CurrentControlSet)

7.       Same again on (Control)

8.       Same again on (Class)

9.       At this point you’ll be given a list of folders, look for the first one that says (4D36) and delete the upper and lower filters.

Restart your computer
    this will repair th e code 19 fault.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Is the running speed slow now? If any third party burning program installed, please temporarily remove it.  You can also test it in
    Clean Boot mode.

If it still does not work, how about doing a system restore to the day before installing Windows Update and then installing the updates one by one?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, January 25, 2010 6:50 AM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:35 AM