none
Virtual Machine Error - Cannot start Windows Virtual PC host process. Check the system log for more details. Server execution failed.

Question

• Whenever I try to open up Virtual PC to create either a new virtual machine or open an existing virtual machine, I get the error. This is a new computer.
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with Service Pack 1 Installed
    System Model: Dell Vostro 3550
    Installed RAM: 6.00 GB
    Already ran the HAV test and stated that HAV is supported. 
    Whenever I attempt to access the settings, another window pops out, stating "Cannot start Windows Virtual PC Host Process. Check the system log for more details. An error occurred while performing the operation. Error code: 0x80080005

Already removed and reinstalled Virtual PC, still not working. 
    • Edited by vpcdude Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:10 PM
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please go to Device Manager to check if all devices work properly.

You could try to uninstall all of Windows Virtual PC, just make sure that you uninstall the Virtual PC host Bus devices as well. This is under system devices and you could set it to show hidden devices.

Then try to reinstall Windows Virtual PC.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:00 AM
  • Thanks, but I tried using your steps Alex, but I still get the same errors. Is there anything else that I can do?
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

To look into this problem efficiently, we need the information in Event Log.

Meanwhile, try to refer to the following article which might be helpful for you:

Error message about hardware-assisted virtualization for Windows XP Mode in Windows Virtual PC on a computer that is running Windows 7

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:17 AM
  • I have reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate w/out Service Pack 1 and it worked fine, however, whenever I upgraded to Service Pack 1, I get the same error. In addition, I have ran the Hardware-assisted virtualization test and it stated that hardware-assisted virtualization is turned on.

Thanks again for all your help

Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:07 AM