none
Virtual PC for Windows 7 Ultimate x64: Cannot install, update not applicable

Question

• Following the steps listed on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx for a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install, step 4 part 2 does not install.  Upon attempted installation, I receive an error stating "This update is not applicable for your computer."  Step 4 part 1 installed fine, which I verified by attempting to install again.  I was able to successfully install this package on another Windows 7 machine without incident.  This does not appear to be a hardware virtualization issue, as I ran the tool provided on the same page and saw successful results.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:39 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

After confirming with Microsoft Virtual Machine Team, the Windows Virtual PC RC version has been removed and the current version is RTM. Windows Virtual PC RTM only can work with Windows 7 RTM. This will not installed on the pre-RTM/RC Windows 7 builds.

Thanks for your understanding.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:46 AM

All replies

• I also have this problem, running Ultimate x64 RC1 - I am guessing it may only be valid for the RTM.
    DustinDoiron - are you running the RTM? If so, maybe it is an x64 issue.
    • Proposed as answer by TM-naiman Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:53 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Yes, this is an RC machine.  Strange, however, that I was able to install without incident on another x64 RC machine.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that the virtualization technology is enabled in BIOS, try to download and install it again in Clean Boot.

If the issue persists, would you please upload the following information to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing?

Screenshot of the symptom

========================

1. Press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click “Desktop” on the left pane and then click "Save".

Please send this saved JPEG file to us.

System Information

========================

1. Click “Start”, type in “msinfo32” (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose “Save” from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to us.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:49 AM
  • I am getting the same error.  I have uploaded the files to SkyDrive as you requested in the Public Folder. 

I am running Window 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit - Evaluation Copy 7100
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Also when I install Windows XP Mode, I do not see it in the Programs List.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:09 AM
  • Hi...I am having identically the same issue.  Would be glad to upload image, but appears to be well described above.  Appreciate the response..
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:36 PM
  • I downloaded (then deleted)the Virtual PC and Windows XP combo and installed both with no problems. As Arthur Li said, make sure you enable virtualization in the BIOS. And more importantly, make sure your your mobo and CPU support virtualization. Most multi-core CPUs will, but check with AMD and the other guys to be sure.

I deleted VPC because it would not let me run 32 bit drivers, so for me it's worthless. If you have any peripherals that need 32 bit drivers, use VMWare instead. VPC won't cut it. A lot of companies, Epson, HP, and Canon among others, refuse to release 64 bit drivers for most of their product lines.

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I am getting the same error.  I have uploaded the files to SkyDrive as you requested in the Public Folder. 

I am running Window 7 Ultimate - 64 Bit - Evaluation Copy 7100

It seems that you forget to attach the download link.

I notice that many people have the same issue. We need to make sure that both the CPU and the motherboard can support the hardware virtualization.

What are the models of your motherboards?

I suggest you update the BIOS from the manufacturers’ websites, run Windows Update to install all the important updates, and then install the Windows Virtual PC again.

To confirm if the CPU supports for hardware virtualization, you may run Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue. I am running the following:

Windows 7 Ultimate  x32 (version 6.1 build 7100)
    MSI K9A2 CF-F (with latest BIOS)
    AMD Phenom II x4 955

HAV Tool gives following result: http://www.plaatjesupload.nl/bekijk/2009/10/25/1256456837-080.png

All VM options in BIOS are enabled.

I've installed this on my prior RC installation just fine, after reinstalling it doesnt work anymore.
    I've installed all important updates + Dutch language pack.

If you need more info please let me know!

Dennis
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 9:02 AM
  • I am having this issue as well, and my setup is:

Win7 RTM (build 7100) 64-bit
    HP Pavilion a6130n
    VM Option in my BIOS is enabled.

I get the same message as DynamicDennis when I run the HAV Tool.

XP Mode installs fine.  Trying to re-install says it already exists, which is the only way that I know that it installed because nothing appears in the Start menu.

Trying to install Virtual PC (Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu) throws a dialog box titled "Windows Update Standalone Installer" saying: "The Update is not applicable to your computer."

This is really screwing me up because I have a piece of software that installs on Win7 but won't run properly.  I need to install it on a 32-bit XP system, which I figured XP mode might help with.

I have also tried creating a slipstreamed XP on a 2GB USB stick using BartPE but that won't run either (I keep getting Missing Operating System).  So I am totally dead in the water, and my deadline is looming.

Does anyone have a solution to this?  Or at least an idea of where to begin looking?

Thanks,

Chris
    Christopher Burns
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Hi All,

After confirming with Microsoft Virtual Machine Team, the Windows Virtual PC RC version has been removed and the current version is RTM. Windows Virtual PC RTM only can work with Windows 7 RTM. This will not installed on the pre-RTM/RC Windows 7 builds.

Thanks for your understanding.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Is there any way we can download the RC version? I'm just now getting around to getting the RC installed on my computer, and I'd like to play with this feature.
    • Proposed as answer by mr32 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:09 AM
  • I've got the same problem, is there anyone who can help us?

mr32

please don't look to my English, it's very bad ;)
    • Proposed as answer by TM-naiman Saturday, May 01, 2010 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:12 PM
  • VPC 2007 has installed on my 7100 build as well, and the conversion of the XPMODE vm/vpc is fine. MS says move to a paid for copy of the software...didn't I read in the NYPost that they were giving away free upgrades...(not the freebie for a new system purch. but for ANY registered Vistaaaaaloser product???) I'm trying the VMWare option tomorrow..
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:30 AM
  • I have Windows 7 Ultimate RTM and have installed the Windows XP mode successfully.

I have a DELL M90 with VT enabled (the havdetectiontool.exe confirms this too)

Yet I am getting the "update not applicable" error.

Is there a command line switch to force an install ?

What check is "Windows6.1-KB958559-x64" doing that is different to the VT check tool ("havdetectiontool")

Pete
    Wednesday, December 02, 2009 12:08 PM
  • Has ANYONE gotten this thing to work?? What I'm getting out of all this is that Microsoft will only let Virtual PC install on a Commercial Paid-for copy of Windows 7. If this is true please let me know so I can wipe my drive and reinstall my old XP Pro. I need to do this to get my Autocad Release 14 working again.
    Thanks,
    jim4193
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:30 PM
  • What most directions seems to have to forgotten to mention is that Windows Virtual PC is installed as a feature of Windows. So after you do the install, go to Add/Remove programs (in Windows 7 it is "Control Panel\Programs") and select the "turn windows features on and off" option. From there scroll down the list and Windows Virtual PC should be there...
     I was scratching my head on this for about 3 hours until I remembered this...
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Jazzy,

The problem everyone is having is:

Trying to install Virtual PC (Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.msu) throws a dialog box titled "Windows Update Standalone Installer" saying: "The Update is not applicable to your computer."

The process stops at that point and the Virtual PC never gets installed.

jim4193
    Monday, December 21, 2009 2:11 PM
  • It was so trivial but this worked for me too I dont know why it wouldbe installe dby default when I installed it but after addding in windows features I am fine
    • Proposed as answer by MHD1976 Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:00 PM
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:36 AM
  • I am getting the "update not applicable.." too.

Win 7 ultimate (7600) 64-bit
    HP pavilion dv4
    Intel P8400 2.26GHz
    VM is Enabled

I extracted the .msu and found almost all of files are intednde for amd64 processors. could not find files for Intel processors. anybody know why?

I have tried to install VPC several times. same problem. did anyone got it installed on a amd machine?

Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:11 PM
  • find this file someplace and run it
    mu_windows_virtual_pc_x64_435190.msu
    I am not sure where I downloaded it from but its the same size  10,111kb and it will install the Virtual pc in the add remove options.  After a few hours of searching this helped me out .
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 10:35 PM
  • I have a release to market, paid for copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the problem of the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install, step 4 part 2 does not install. I have checked

HAV -- it is OK.
    I have attempted to remove VPC from the control panel:
    1. rebooted
    2. set the control panel back to allow VPC (it was still there)
    3. rebooted
    4. Started the instailation again.

I double checked the BIOS too. What next?

Monday, March 22, 2010 9:26 PM
  • yes this can be achieved, however, you need to go to mmc, click File, Add Snapin and then choose local group policy then OK and OK till GPedit is functioning.

Once you have access to the local group policy expand LCP > AT > WC> (think acronyms) and click Application Compatibility

From there make sure you are in the Standard tab and proceed to enable all policies that start with "Turn off"

Then reinstall any 64 bit VM app and all should be well.

However, what I am coming up against now is the fact that I cannot install a 64 bit OS. This could be the fail point until I can get a Version of Hyper V installed on my computer, allowing me the full Virtual Functionality.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:43 PM
  • Hello, I just went through a heck of a run-a-round myself.  As usual, simplicity has it's way.

Please do the following:

Solution:

1.       Open the Registry editor.  To do so, Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit.exe in the Programs list.In the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

2.       Navigate to the following registry keysHKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

3.       The correct and default value forAppData should be %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming. To change the value, double click on Appdata, then change the string in the value data field.

4.      Close the Registry editor, and try again Windows Update again. (A reboot shouldnot be required.)

5.       If the problem persists, repeat the steps 2 through 4 with the following registry keys:

·        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\

·        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming IS YOUR FRIEND...

ALSO - HERE IS THE THREAD FOR IF YOU'D LIKE TO VERIFY YOU HAVE A "WORKING" VARIATION OF THIS ISSUE. 

***  http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/18449f60-c149-4eaf-b8e6-a2880cd7232b  ***

I really hope this helps...  Helped me, my computer isn't swimming in the nearest lake!  : D

• Proposed as answer by dob1 Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:21 AM
    Friday, July 09, 2010 2:28 PM
  • I am very disappointed with this on two counts.

1) I bought Windows 7 Pro at extra cost primarily because of this feature, which doesn't work (as per all others on this list)

2) If Microsoft knows it doesn't work on the released versions, why is the link still there and no warnings or disclaimers present?  Not good!

I do hope the problems can be resolved and communicated quickly.

Saturday, July 31, 2010 5:45 AM
  • I did all that was suggested in the previous posts to no avail.

It seems nothing has been solved for this issue in the last 6 months!

Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:23 AM
  • Hi everyone,

Been trying to get this to work with all the usual fixes as above.

3rd try and it's finally working. Although I haven't configured it yet the updated actually updated.

Go to this web address -->>http://www.webtlk.com/2009/10/12/download-windows-virtual-pc-and-xp-mode-rtm-7600-16393-for-windows-7/

Download the mu_windows_virtual_pc_x64_435190.msu   (64bit) or mu_windows_virtual_pc_x86_435190.msu (32bit)

Install and it's sorted.

Hope that helps somebody

Tigger7

• Proposed as answer by Tigger7 Monday, August 23, 2010 12:01 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:01 AM
  • Tigger7, I went through the trouble of setting up a username just to Thank You! for your information.  Worked perfectly for me.  Thanks again.

Erickarn

Thursday, September 09, 2010 7:44 PM
  • Tigger7, when I install mu_windows_virtual_pc_x64_435190.msu it says "update for windows KB958559 is already installed on this computer".

And the I try to install Virtual PC, I get the same "update no applicable".

What next?

Monday, March 05, 2012 1:37 PM
  • I have no clue why everything has to be so complicated...

I bet the problem for most people here is simply that you uninstalled Virtual PC 2007 and it didn't clean up after itself

Go to Windows Update, look at your history, figure out when you installed the update (for me, on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, it was KB958559)

Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program > View Installed Updates > Right-click the appropriate update (KB958559 in my case) and select 'uninstall'

Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:00 PM