none
Failure to configure Windows 8 updates reverting changes loop

Question

• I just got a brand new Lenovo laptop running Windows 8 and whilst everything else appears in order. I now have this ridiculously frustrating problem:

1. The computer downloads the relevant Windows 8 updates and then restarts;

2. When the configuration process gets to 15% it fails; 

3. It then tries to run the process again, and the same problem, at the same point, reoccurs;

4. At the third time of asking, the message above "reverting changes" appears.

5. Computer then fails to update and so it continues.

This is very frustrating, but I do believe this is a Microsoft issue as opposed to a Lenovo problem given that it has affected many computers running various versions of Windows. Can you guys at Microsoft or technology people out there, please direct/help me with this problem? Btw, Microsoft I tried your Troubleshooting option and it didn't work either! Many thanks.

Friday, May 03, 2013 4:55 PM

Answers

• Thank you very much for your reply, Andre.

I did not see your message in time, but I managed to resolve the problem by downloading and installing the 38 files in question, individually. Not sure why this rather long and somewhat laborious method worked, but it did, so happy anyway. But, I shall bear in mind your response in case of a similar problem in the future.  

Patty

Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

to see the cause of Windows 8 update failures, we must look for error messages in the following log files:

Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi.dev.log from the folder C:\Windows\Inf, the "C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log" and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log" to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, May 03, 2013 7:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much for your reply, Andre.

I did not see your message in time, but I managed to resolve the problem by downloading and installing the 38 files in question, individually. Not sure why this rather long and somewhat laborious method worked, but it did, so happy anyway. But, I shall bear in mind your response in case of a similar problem in the future.  

Patty

Saturday, May 04, 2013 9:47 AM
  • possibly this article is relevant (for others impacted by this issue, or yourself in the future): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777330

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, May 05, 2013 1:24 AM
  • Thank you, Don. I will take note. 

Patty

Patty

Sunday, May 05, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi Andre,

I've been having the same issue with updates.  After reboot it goes through configuring all the updates and after the last one is finished I get the "FAILURE - REVERTING" message.  It all started when I was talking with DELL support and they had me shut down during an update.  I haven't had an update finish since then.    All of the Microsoft Office updates are fine, it's just the Microsoft Windows updates that won't finish.

Juniper

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:05 PM
  • Hi André,

I'm struggling with the same problem, and collected all necesary files and uploaded it here: h++p://sdrv.ms/16S2aW0.

Can you please suggest the solution?

Thanks in advance,

-illes

ps: it seems that I cannot post a link

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:37 PM
  • you moved the user folder from C: to D: and this causes the error:

1ce2644d4ad21f3: 84c, c00000d4, c2, 0, MoveFile ;\SystemRoot\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames\8dc0426fb924ce01d5000000640ef812.desktop.ini, \??\D:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\desktop.ini

C:\Users\André>err c00000d4
    # for hex 0xc00000d4 / decimal -1073741612
      STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE                                         ntstatus.h
    # {Incorrect Volume}
    # The target file of a rename request is located on a
    # different device than the source of the rename request.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:54 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Andre,

thanks for the information. Now I've got the root cause, but how can I correct it or resolve this problem?

--
    Thank you
    Illes

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:09 PM
  • move the folders back to C:

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:14 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Andre,

unfortunately all the user folders are in drive D:. I moved all user directories to D: in order to reduce the number of write cycles on the SSD, which is the primary C: drive. The "How to Relocate User Profiles to another Partition or Disk in Windows 8" description was followed for this procedure.

Link: h++p://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

This option isn't viable for me.

• Edited by Illes OL Monday, August 19, 2013 8:53 PM
    Monday, August 19, 2013 8:52 PM
  • backup the data, format Windows and let users on drive C

• Proposed as answer by Flying Eagle 2 Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:35 AM
    Answerer
  • I am having EXACTLY the same problem as above.  I have also tried the Troubleshooting option, which has not worked.  Have also tried Don's suggestions below - turning the power off as it's configuring, updating anti-virus when I try to install KB2771431 it says that it's 'not applicable to this computer' (I selected the x64 download).  I am not a *techie* so any suggestions will need to be in terms I can understand.  ;oD  Many thanks in advance.
    Monday, October 28, 2013 9:29 AM