none
Alt + Tab flicker/not working properly?

Answers

• Hi there!

I had the same problem in my dell studio 1737. After a few hours of googling, thinking and getting angry - I found a solution.

Simply, the problem was caused by a "static build up" in the keyboard circuit. So none of the "software solutions" would work. They were already "workableless" at the very beginning ;).

So - what to do (there are steps I did, but the original solution is a little different):

1) remove the battery,

2) when adapter plugged in, turn on the laptop - in my case this step did the work,

3) turn off the laptop and put the battery in.

Now everything should be Ok. :)

The original solution I found can be read on http://www.mattbrindley.com/developing/windows/windows-vista-win-tab-alt-tab/ (by user Cat, October 26, 2008 8:28 PM; thank you, Cat)

Jacek.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:29 PM
  • There have been several reports of a bug in the docking for a tablet. You are probably seeing a driver problem with the same video driver basicx was using (ATI). There have been several updates since then from ATI, but I don't know if it will help the docking issue or not.

You should send feedback on this if that is available at your beta participation level.. The Misc. forum in this group has a 'comments' thread. You can add your experience, to help the dev team identify problems.

Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 3 - Do not post questions in this thread)

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:55 PM

All replies

• No, if I hold down the alt key, I keep the 'change to' window open. Hitting tab while holding the alt will move thru the open windows. If you are not seeing that, something is not working right in your desktop. I would suspect a Video Adapter driver needs updating for Win7.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:15 PM
  •  

Can you do the Aero flip by holding down the <WIN> key and hitting <TAB>?  In either case, you must hold either the <ALT> or the <WIN> key as you toggle the <TAB>.

Does this problem only happen with WLM or with any other applications also?  If it is only with WLM, then there may be some issue with it; however, if it is with all programs, then you may have something that is constantly trying go take the focus.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:25 PM
  • It seems to just happen randomly. It should have been obvious that I wasn't just pressing alt tab, but holding the keys down as well, I'll try to point out the extremely obvious next time I post. So far it's only happened with WLM and the alt tab (win tab worked fine by the way).
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Hi,

I suspect that the Alt key on your keyboard does not work properly sometimes. If your computer is a desktop, and there is another keyboard available, I suggest that you replace the keyboard and then check the result.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Saturday, February 14, 2009 9:11 PM
    Friday, February 13, 2009 3:53 AM
  • Wow...simply wow. You actually think I wouldn't notice a faulty keyboard? ....Wow. I'm shocked, that on a tech forum I'm actually receiving answers like this. I'm honestly at a loss for words right now...I don't really know what to say. I'll give credit to DarienHawk for posting an actual sensible answer, but the rests of these posts are just senseless. So, to make myself crystal clear, this is obviously a software issue with the windows 7 beta, not my laptop. So if you might know why it's doing this, let me know, but if you feel the need to post these useless answers, please refrain, even if you are "trying" to help.
    • Proposed as answer by EmPBee Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by EmPBee Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:24 PM
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 5:44 AM
  • No, no one else has this problem.
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Hi Basicx

Please understand that nobody here is trying to be rude or condescending to you, personally.

The only thing we know about you is the information that you give us.

Your initial message should give us more information, such as,

"Hi

I am an advanced user, and when I press and hold ALT and tap the TAB key the Flip 3d windows just flicker and disappear? "

This was working (or not working) when I first installed the beta?

I have tried......?

I have checked......?

My hardware configuration is......?

I have (or don't have) all of the latest drivers?

I upgraded from ?, (or clean installed) the beta?

You can also update your User Profile stating what your experience level is.

With this information, we can then give you an appropriate response. 

With a lack of this information, the only thing we can do is assume that you are an entry level user.

Thanks for understanding.

Thank You for testing Windows 7 Beta

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Forum Moderator

Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:51 PM
  • Yes, at times when i use the key combination alt and tab it flickers and immediately disappears, as if something else is trying to focus (as Darien mentioned). It only happens when windows 7 has been running for a pro longed amount of time, granted an hour or more. I haven't tried much, because along with the alt tab flicker, most of my program windows start to flicker, so a simple restart seems to solve it. IT could be that the over heating fail safes in w7 are more sensitive than those in the earlier windows operating systems, thus causing a bit of a loop or something rather, but other than that I've no speculation as to why it does this. I'll just post up some system specs here:

Processor - AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz
    Memory - 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Chip: ATI Radeon HD 3200

I've got all the latest drivers and i cleanly installed windows 7. That post did make it seem like I was coming off as a complete douche, I apologize, this is just a rather frustrating "bug" (or whichever term fits), though it seems I'm the only one getting it. So again, sorry for seeming like such a prick, hopefully this new information helps.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:23 AM
  • I am having the same issue in Vista 64. When I hold Alt and press Tab, the normal alt+tab display flashes on the screen and disappears. When I Win+tab, the Aero twisting thing works properly. I am a fledgling IT professional. I'm using a freshly-rebuilt HP TX2500 tablet-laptop convertible (which oddly has the same specs as the OP), with a legitimate MSDNAA copy of Vista 64 Business. I have Firefox, Avast, and Pidgin running, along with video, modem, touchpad, and audio driver-applets. 54 processes in total. The issue occurs if my laptop is in "laptop mode" or "docked" and using a usb keyboard. This issue occurred occasionally in my laptop's previous incarnation, which was essentially an HP TX1000, using the same software configuration. (TX1000 is an AMD Turion 64 x2 non-ultra with an nVidia 6150 and nVidia chipset)
    • Proposed as answer by Anarchyba Friday, May 22, 2009 12:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Adam M MCP Friday, May 22, 2009 10:30 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Hi i had the same problem and found out it was my usb headset volume control that was stuck so it was setting my volume up all the time so wat authur xie said about keyboard wasnt far from right .
    • Proposed as answer by Orbital.Bob Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:15 PM
    Friday, May 22, 2009 12:39 PM
  • There have been several reports of a bug in the docking for a tablet. You are probably seeing a driver problem with the same video driver basicx was using (ATI). There have been several updates since then from ATI, but I don't know if it will help the docking issue or not.

You should send feedback on this if that is available at your beta participation level.. The Misc. forum in this group has a 'comments' thread. You can add your experience, to help the dev team identify problems.

Have Comments about Windows 7 RC? (Part 3 - Do not post questions in this thread)

Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Wow the same thing happens to me, although I am not docking it with anything, I am just using it in slate mode with an attached keyboard. I have the same configuration as the original poster. This happened to me in Windows Vista and still happens with Windows 7.
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Yes same thing happening to me. Everything was fine until I has the Vista update on or around 27 August 2009 . The Alt-Tab simply won't work - the palette of icons appears for a split second and vanishes. The fancy 3D Win-tab thing still works. My keyboard is not malfunctioning in any way. It happens suddenly without warning - alt-tab sunddenly breaks and I can only get it back by restarting the computer. Then it works fine for 15 minutes and then breaks again.

Vista Home premium
    SP2
    Intel core 2 quad CPU
    2.6Ghz/2.7Ghz

The temorary solution is to go into the Personalize control panel and change the Windows Theme from Vista to Classic XP - then everything works fine, which tends to suggest there's a problem with the Vista shell.

Additionally I get a problem with iTunes at exactly the same time as the collapse of Alt-tab: tracks won't play, and when I hit the play button, the iTunes arrow icons do a peculiar upwards cascade for about half a second and nothing happens. Again, restart required to clear this problem, until it comes back again a few minutes later. Problem solved by switching to Windows Classic theme.

There's obviously a glitch with the windows update but nobody seems to be admitting this or offering a solution. The worst effect it's having is giving my Mac user mates something to get sanctimonious about.

PS I don't have any of the docking things mentioned but the keyboard is a Saitek eclipse multimedia keyboard. Any known issues/incompatibilities?

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 8:24 AM
  • I also encoutered a similiar problem today. When using Alt-tab on my laptop running Windows 7 Evaluation copy Build 7100 the dialog with the icons pupping up is loosing focus after a few seconds, and instead of moving through the icons, the popup dialog is moved to the background and when I press Alt-tab the different applications get focus.

Tried cairntouls temporary solution above and when changing from Aero Theme Windows 7 to Windows 7 Basic theme it works again.
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Hi, I have just had this same issue and I think I've resolved it. I'm using Windows 7 x64, but Vista should be similar, not sure about XP.
    1. Press start and type 'filterkeys', open FilterKeys using the FIRST item that pops up.
    2. Disable filter keys from first option, press apply.
    3. Notice if the problem stops
    4. I fiddled around with the settings a bit and this is how mine now look: http://tinypic.com/r/iwm6td/4
    5. I then pressed 'CANCEL' instead of okay
    6. Everything seemed to be fixed after that
    Very odd series of steps but I won't complain as long as the stupid problem's gone. Hope this helps. Gee.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:13 PM
  • I have been having this exact problem.  Furthermore, ALT+TAB isn't working.  It seems to randomly work and then start messing up again.  I have redone my video drivers (downloaded the NVidia driver from their website made for Win7 64-bit), tried everything I've read, and even redone the update to 7, and it still messes up!

A couple random notes I've found:
    For some reason, if I close a window that's on the taskbar, it might make it work again, but if I use ALT+TAB after that, it messes up
    I'm using an NVidia9600 GT and an ASUS M4A79T motherboard, all updated.  I installed Vista Ultimate when I first build the computer, and upgraded to 7 when it came out.

I'm starting to think this is a fatal flaw with Aero, and it's making me really sad.  It's an amazing little thing, and I love it, but it's almost unusable for me!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:56 AM
  • MANY people have the occasional "alt-Tab not working" problem.  I used to have to re-boot to fix it.  However, the following "fix" seems to work.  I found it on another board somewhere.

Right click on an on area of your desktop and select "Personalize".
    From the Personalization window, "Theme" area, switch your Theme from whatever it is to "Windows Classic" and click OK.  At this point, the windows display will change to the dull looking windows theme. But you'll discover that ALT+TAB is working again.

Then switch back to your original theme, and ALT+TAB should still be working ok.

I have no idea whether this is a permanent fix or whether it's just a Windows 7 glitch that will occasionally happen until Microsoft fixes it.

Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:21 PM
  • MANY people have the occasional "alt-Tab not working" problem.  I used to have to re-boot to fix it.  However, the following "fix" seems to work.  I found it on another board somewhere.

Right click on an on area of your desktop and select "Personalize".
    From the Personalization window, "Theme" area, switch your Theme from whatever it is to "Windows Classic" and click OK.  At this point, the windows display will change to the dull looking windows theme. But you'll discover that ALT+TAB is working again.

Then switch back to your original theme, and ALT+TAB should still be working ok.

I have no idea whether this is a permanent fix or whether it's just a Windows 7 glitch that will occasionally happen until Microsoft fixes it.

I have been using Windows 7 32bit and 64bit on my desktop and laptop respectively since RTM.  I noticed this problem recently (late April 2010) on my desktop only, which I don't use that much so can't be certain when it actually started.  This problem was experienced simulataneously with another issue which is what I first noticed:  After some random amount of time of normal, successful use, IE8 will suddenly exhibit an inability to allow textual selection with the mouse, within the content display area of ie8 (I can still select text in the address bar).  This problem is not site related as it happens on all sites tested, from straight html text, to text within form controls.  It happens on Microsoft site, google.com homepage, anywhere.

Also, this alt-tab problem correlates with a problem where windows will minimize but not be able to be restored (even after trying the theme swap suggested above).  That fixed it for programs with only one window open and minimized but programs with multiple windows still experienced the range of problems, and the text selection problem did not go away either.  I too have all drivers (nVidia video) up to date.  There was a clue above where someone posted that USB audio device was "stuck" on a volume change ... I have a logitech usb wireless headset and will experiment with that a bit, though I've experienced the problem whether the headset is turned on or off .... and I've had that headset for a lot longer than I've experienced this problem.
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 5:26 PM
  • I'm still trying to fix this, I'm having the same issue.

Windows 7 x64 running synergy, firefox, putty, itunes, outlook, thunderbird, winamp, virtualbox, and visual studio 2008

When attempting to change the capture key in virtual box it acts like I'm spamming <key 113> which I take to be F2.

Still troubleshooting, I hope this helps.

Saturday, May 15, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. I'm running an acer with a volume control panel on the side. Sometimes it gets stuck fluctuating around different volume values, or stuck constantly decreasing the system volume, for unknown reasons, which triggers this.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:10 PM
  • I am having the same issue with Asus UL30A with preinstalled Windows home premium 7 x64.
    Friday, June 04, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Yes, I have the same issue as well. However, I have tried many things. This is what I have tried but the ALT-TAB problem still came back

The problem started one day when I press ALT-TAB and it would flicker meaning it wouldnt hold for no more than 1 second to allow me to switch to another window. This would also happen in safe mode.

I am using XP however, I tried using installing Vista and 7 as well and still the same problem immediately occured after install.

I have tried to do a clean XP install with my CD but before I do that I put zeroes all over my harddrive first. I did the same with vista and 7 later to test. My result is that without installing any other programs the ALT-TAB problem still came back.

Sometimes, the problem may go away but it will come back later. I did put zeroes on my harddrive before reinstalling windows so this should eliminate the possibility of a virus causing this, right? Where else could a virus hide other than the harddrive? Or is this a windows cliche?

Hope someone could provide some feedback or possible resolution.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 11:29 PM
  • Same here.  ALT+TAB just flickers.  It started happening about the same time I installed Windows Live Essentials Beta on my laptop.  So, of course, I assumed it was the beta software.  Removed it and everything associated with it.  No difference.  ALT+TAB is still unusable on my laptop.  BTW, Windows Live Essentials Beta works find on my other PC, a desktop.

ALT+TAB only displays the other apps for a split-second and disappears.  The ALT key works fine for other key combinations.  I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and the AeroPeek functionality is also flashing up for a second and disappearing.  Changing Windows Themes makes no difference.  Change FilterKeys makes no difference.

ALT+TAB and AeroPeek only work for a split-second and disappear.  The WindowKey+TAB continues to work normally.  It is now the only way to swap between windows.  I need to fix the ALT+TAB key problem.  Has anyone fixed this problem?

J Tom Kinser
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:42 PM
  • I was having the same problem. I tried switching back every to default theme and it seems to be working now. Honestly, I am not sure what was the exactly solution. I will update this post again when I am sure how to fix this problem.

/HH

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:25 PM
  • Took me three days to figure this out. I wanted to pull my hair out.

The cause of problem was a Logitech USB headset with what seems to be a broken volume control. It looks like it was sending a constant "volume up" signal, and this affected some of the OS display functions. Unplugging it fixed my problem lickity-split.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 2:00 AM
  • Hi, 

I was about to say the same thing and Mr. Rollins beat me to it. Yes, it's the Logitech USB headset which caused  the problem because it gave me the same problem when I moved it to my other system. I think any device that has a sticky key can cause that. Filter Keys may be able to prevent this but I haven't personally tested it.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:45 PM
  • That may have solved the problem for you but unfortunately, I do not have a Logitech USB headset.

However, I just reinstalled my BIOS firmware using a bootdisk with the HD removed. I have also put in a bootdisk to put zeroes all over my hd and then reinstall windows xp and later 7.

The problem appears to be gone now but only time will tell. If the problem is gone, this may mean the flickering problem for people who do not have the Logitech USB headset may be caused by a BIOS virus which cannot be removed by cleaning the harddrive.

Any comments on what I have said?

Thursday, July 22, 2010 3:50 PM
  • Hi i had the same problem and found out it was my usb headset volume control that was stuck so it was setting my volume up all the time so wat authur xie said about keyboard wasnt far from right .

I had the same problem on my Windows 7 installation and found that my headset had something resting on it thus applying pressure to the volume buttons. I guess if anyone else is having this problem, unplug all your peripherals to rule out if this is the case for you. Good luck :)

Thanks Anarchyba, my sanity has been restored.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:18 PM
  • Just an observation here, but I had this same issue, (no windows key function, couldn't Alt-Tab, etc etc)

The issue resulted after return from hibernation.

When I right clicked and opened the volume mixer from the speaker tray icon I found turning down the volume resulted in the volume turning itself back up to 100% (seemed like something was sticking) I thought maybe it was my wireless logitech media set only to realize the wireless USB fob wasn't plugged in.

The windows key had zero functionality, and alt-tab would "flicker" aero peeek.

The issue I found revolves around my USB Audio DAC driver and resume from sleep or hibernation.

Pulling and replugging the USB audio device resolves the issue.(Which switches the audio device from the USB audio DAC driver to the 3-Realtek HD audio Driver and then back to USB Audio DAC upon plugging it back in.)

Additionally, I don't use WLM I use Pidgin.

I believe it may have something to do with the audio driver not resuming correctly on resume from a power saving state? Any way to check this or look into it further? I am welcome to any suggestions.

There may be more to it than that but until I can reproduce the issue I again, that is all I have.

Advanced User: Self taught tech
    Sys Specs
    Windows 7 Home Premium X64(Clean Install)
    CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955 (C3)
    Mobo:MSI 790XT-G45
    GPU:Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770
    Mem:Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800(2x2gb)
    SSD OS:Kingston SNVP325-S2B
    HD Bkup:Segate ST3320820AS
    HD Stor:WD Black 750GB
    PSU:Corsair CMPSU-750HX
    Monday, August 02, 2010 5:58 PM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Was doing my head in as well. Turns out was my Logitech headset. Pulled it out and the ALT TAB / Broweser Tooltips errors all went away.

Mine was doing the same thing, trying to auto turn up volume for some reason.

Anyone know how to solve that one ?

Tuesday, September 07, 2010 5:56 AM
  • This happens to me occasionally, though rarely. Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, but I have noticed this behaviour in the BETA and RC1 as well. Sometimes the problem "goes away by itself" for no apparent reason. Today I was faced with it again. It didn't go away by itself, so I deciced to put my laptop "in to sleep". The problem disappeared when I "woke it up".

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Hi there!

I had the same problem in my dell studio 1737. After a few hours of googling, thinking and getting angry - I found a solution.

Simply, the problem was caused by a "static build up" in the keyboard circuit. So none of the "software solutions" would work. They were already "workableless" at the very beginning ;).

So - what to do (there are steps I did, but the original solution is a little different):

1) remove the battery,

2) when adapter plugged in, turn on the laptop - in my case this step did the work,

3) turn off the laptop and put the battery in.

Now everything should be Ok. :)

The original solution I found can be read on http://www.mattbrindley.com/developing/windows/windows-vista-win-tab-alt-tab/ (by user Cat, October 26, 2008 8:28 PM; thank you, Cat)

Jacek.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Thanks for bringing up the USB headset. I was experiencing that same problem, but had no luck fixing it - it just kept coming back. However, I did not have a headset, but other USB devices attached to a hub. Though I'm not sure which device was causing the problem, unplugging the hub and reconnecting it seems to have fixed it for me.
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 2:14 PM
  • I just want to thank M. Rollins - it was the USB-Headset for me too.

Friday, January 07, 2011 3:29 PM
  • I also have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard - one of the fancy glow-in-the-dark ones. I get the same alt-tab problem. The way to fix it is just use one of the extra function buttons. I just pressed one to open the window calculator and now everything works OK!
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:09 PM
  • This guy's right, I was having the same problem, my headset up button wouldn't work, unplugged it and everything's fine.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 7:52 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  It started a couple days ago.  There are a variety of symptoms: rapid scrolling through icons when I have alt held after alt-tab, not responding to tab while I have alt held, responding for a while and then suddenly acting as if I've released Alt when I haven't, or if I move the mouse over the icons while in Alt-Tab, it'll act like I released Alt on the first icon the mouse moves over.  When I use Win-tab, it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't respond when I hit tab.  This has happened before, about a year ago, and I eventually found a fix for it but don't remember what it was.  I think it had to do with some setting involving the desktop, and toggling it off and back on or something like that.  I do not have a headset, so it isn't a USB headset problem.  I do have a wireless natural multimedia keyboard.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:55 AM
  • I found the same thing with my Logitech USB headphone.  My volume keys are "sticking"  When I unplug the headphone the issue goes away...

Good call Anarchyba!!!

Saturday, March 26, 2011 11:16 PM
  • I was going nuts....It worked !...Thank you so much.

Wonderful tip....Thanks again

Raveendra

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Hi I am having exactly the same problem on a French HP touchsmart with win 7 64bits. I also noticed that as long as I am holding the alt key, after having done the alt+tab, the alt tab panel goes to the background but is still there. Indeed if I keep pressing alt, when I hover the mouse over the area where the panel usually is, the windows change according to the application over which it hovers (the same way it works when you actually see the panel and don't use tab to switch but the mouse) and I see an icon of the software in the middle of each window that is switched. If the window is small and let me see the desktop, I can even see a part of the alt-tab panel.  I don't know if I am very clear here... (I can try and post a screenshot)

I tried the different solutions from this thread unsuccessfully. I do not use any USB headset. It does happen quite often but not all the time, most of the time after some hours of work on my machine and with a lot of apps openned.

So what I see on my computer is the alt + tab panel going in the background but it is still here. It would be nice if Microsoft could be aware of this bug and fix it. First post from February 2009.... That's a long time to fix such an issue. Alt-tab is one of the oldest and used to be one of the most reliable in all the versions of Windows... So please, fix it!!!!

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 9:17 PM
  • I am having the issue intermittently with win 7 64 bit as well. This is now 7-15-2011. I love when people assume NO ONE ELSE IS HAVING THE PROBLEM and therefore the problem never gets freakin fixed. I am NOT on a laptop. This is a quality component desktop workstation. Before you start giving stupid replies folks, please: I have designed boards/systems/communications stuff for a living, and fixed the most demanding issues you can immagine in extreamly fast and efficient methods. I don't think anyone but a very knowlegable user of computers and MICROSOFT operating systems, preferably windows 7 since I have never seen this on xp pro or 2k or anything else, needs to reply. It is not an ATI driver bug as I am using a NVIDIA card, not an ATI and as far as I know, that's still a seperate corporation with a seperate hardware graphics acellorator gpu with seperate drivers. The problem cropped up rarely and I have installed some more updates and it is annoying me constantly now. I am very sad to see that microsoft is very lacking in data and support on an issue that is valid and unsolved.

-cioangel

Friday, July 15, 2011 8:58 PM
  • JACEK!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! = D
    Sunday, July 17, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Sorry,  I hit the wrong key and proposed Basic x as an answer.  That is incorrect.  His/her answer is not helpful.  Here is what is likely happening.  Your ALT key is not making proper contact on your keyboard; therefore, the keyboard software is only seeing your contact with the TAB key.  I had this problem and did two things.

1) I cleaned the keyboard

2) I held down the ALT key with more pressure.

Situation fixed.

Here is the problem.  The keyboard consists of three layers of plastic that are contacted by the keys.  The first layer consistes of a printed circut facing upward.  The middle layer is an insulating layer with open holes corresponding to the location of the key pressure points.  The third layer is another printed circuit facing downward.  When a key is pressed the first and third layers contact and close a circuit that tells the software which keystroke has been closed.  If the ALT key is faulty, it is not recognized and the wrong signal is sent to the keyboard software.

You can't solve a hardware problem by making software corrections.

Get a new keyboard.

My 2 cents

EmPBee

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:36 PM
  • I am having similar problems as discribed here.  Following are the list of symptoms:

- The sound volume keeps going back down to zero.  No matter how much I try to increase the volume, it decreases back down to zero.

- It's very hard to select text on Internet Explorer (I have IE9). I can select text if I continue to click on it, or press down on 'Ctrl' or 'Shift' as I click on the text, but otherwise, I cannot seem to select text on any brower pages.

- It's not easy to recover minimized windows. When I click on a minimized window on the Taskbar, the thumbnail view will apear for a split second and then disappear, but the minized window is not recovered

- Alt+Tab no longer works.  It flickers for a split second and then disapears.  The Win+Tab works fine.

- The Win key does not do anything, unless I hold it donw for a long time

All these problems started happening very suddenly without at explanations.  Can anyone help me?

Monday, August 22, 2011 2:35 AM
  • I've noticed this exact behaviour: the ALT-TAB panel is there, but on the bottom of the stack. So technically, ALT-TAB is working, but in a useless mode. It takes about 1/2 a second for the panel to submarine to the bottom window. No help here, just commiseration.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:57 PM
  • When the problem occurs on my desktop with an invidia graphics card and logitech camera but no other logitech equipment (the longer  the system is on, the more likely), I get some or all of the following:

Stuttering on alt-tab

When resuming from the taskbar, I get a ghost of the program thumbnail that quickly disappears

My volume key sticks at 0 (mostly) or 100% (occasionally)

Chrome will notmove from tab to tab under mouse control

The Lightning calendar under Thunderbird starts scrolling madly backward through the months when I access it.

Explorer will not open a new directory when I click on it, but reverts to the old one.

Thunderbird sticks on one line of my current email summary even when I arrow down/up or click on another email with my mouse.

Plus many other odd behaviors, all centered on choosing things with the mouse or keyboard (come to think of it, how else would I choose?) and the system reverting back to what was already there.

I even used LogMeIn to access my desktop from my laptop and the behavior is the same on the virtual desktop. This suggests to me that the behavior is above the hardware level, although the cause may be at a lower level. The system doesn't have to hibernate to go into this mode and sometimes has problems right after boot up. I am working through some of the suggestions above just to see if I can change the symptoms.

9/28/2011 - I followed one suggestion - change the desktop - and this reduced the incidence almost to 0. Now the problem requires days after reboot to reappear. When it does, same symptoms. During the same period, my on-board sound card disappeared; not detected at any level. I'm using a USB card for now. This could have nothing to do with the problem.
    • Edited by SEFors Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:06 PM
    Friday, September 09, 2011 10:26 PM
  • Thank u..

I spent hours today googling and looking everywere for a solution to this and it was the damn headset volume button that was stucked... 

was getting mad xD

Friday, November 11, 2011 3:54 AM
  • @macmalon

Check out http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/81916-alt-tab-icon-list-does-not-stay-top-2.html

In particular, Post #16 by bdawson.

I had this same exact issue. I didn't have the ipoint.exe process running, but I did have sidebar.exe. I killed sidebar, and my Alt-Tab started working again :)  Doing so did kill a desktop widget that I had running, but I just right-clicked my desktop to tell it to add widgets, and it popped back.  As of now, even after sidebar.exe restarted, my Alt-Tab behavior is back to normal.

Cheers!

PS, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 laptop.  Considering the fix, though, I'd say it's probably software related with some kind of a conflict with sidebar.exe and whatever process controls alt-tab

Edit: After a few minutes, the problem came back. I re-killed sidebar, and again, had normal Alt-tab behavior.  Would be nice if we could have a permanent fix ... :(  Another thought -- If we could figure out what process sidebar is conflicting with, we could try re-starting that one, and see if it resolves the conflict.  I don't really have time to mess with this right now though ... so if anyone else has any ideas, that'd be nice :)
    • Edited by butsuriboy Monday, January 30, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Just closed my sidebar.exe. It worked! Thank you!
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I encountered the same problem on a Dell Latitude laptop running Win 7 32 bit. Reading this forum gave me several ideas. So before i tried any one of them, i decided to close all my application windows running. Only visible thing was taskbar and desktop. In this state i started 2 instances of notepad and 1 instance of calculator. Then i tried <Alt><Tab> , it worked perfectly. All i remember doing before getting to the problem earlier was changing some of the settings in the "Taskbar and Start menu properties" dialog.

Thanks, ABAUTO

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:34 PM
  • I ran into this issue.  alt+tab was apparently doing nothing, start menu would not open from either of the 2 windows keys on my keyboard, and trying to switch to another application window from the taskbar was futile.  I too started closing windows and eventually found the culprit.  The Apache Monitor window.

Windows 7 64bit, nvidia gtx560ti.  I keep all of my drivers up to date.  My keyboard is 3 months old and the 'alt' keyS work fine because they work within an application window to open the appropriate menu when pressed.

I would be surprised to find out that everyone with this problem is running an Apache web server AND has the monitor window open, but that was the culprit in my case so I think there's likely an application window causing the issue for others too.  Clicking the 'OK' button in the Apache Monitor window to close the window (but leave the system tray icon - so the monitor is still running) returned the ability to open the start menu from the keyboard keys as well as normal alt+tab usage :)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:29 PM
  • Restart the Human Interface Device Access service (start - run - services.msc - right click Human Interface Device Access - select restart)
    Saturday, September 15, 2012 7:40 AM
  • The obvious is sometimes assumed but you know what happens then.  Sometimes the problem is between the keyboard & the chair.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:03 PM
  • This procedure worked for me.  Actually I don't remember just trying a plain old reboot but I think I had previously tried that as well.
    Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I ran into this issue.  alt+tab was apparently doing nothing, start menu would not open from either of the 2 windows keys on my keyboard, and trying to switch to another application window from the taskbar was futile.  I too started closing windows and eventually found the culprit.  The Apache Monitor window.

Windows 7 64bit, nvidia gtx560ti.  I keep all of my drivers up to date.  My keyboard is 3 months old and the 'alt' keyS work fine because they work within an application window to open the appropriate menu when pressed.

I would be surprised to find out that everyone with this problem is running an Apache web server AND has the monitor window open, but that was the culprit in my case so I think there's likely an application window causing the issue for others too.  Clicking the 'OK' button in the Apache Monitor window to close the window (but leave the system tray icon - so the monitor is still running) returned the ability to open the start menu from the keyboard keys as well as normal alt+tab usage :)

Same issue and it was in fact caused by the Apache Monitor window.
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Hi I had the same issue. I chased it down to a dodgy USB connector. It would give strange behaviour to either a USB headset or when I plugged in a keyboard it would cause this issue. I think the issue is a hardware issue. 

Move some of your USB devices around and see what happens.

I've literally just proved this on my PC as it started doing it again and I removed the Keyboard and plugged it back in and hey presto fixed. 

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:11 AM
  • I have been plagued by this issue since Windows Vista Days, across multiple computers.

Finally read about the "switch theme to classic and back" solution and it is the one workaround that worked for me.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:04 PM
  • Oh my good lord. THANK YOU! You have no idea how much this has been winding me up with a similar issue and I just tried this and this was ideed the issue. I can't believe I didnt try this! I feel like a total spanner now :P
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 6:48 PM
  • Thanks Anarchyba. This was also my problem (button on a Logitech headeset). Although I am fairly skilled at troubleshooting, I wonder if I would have found this without your post, saving many hours of time while rushing to complete a presentation. Thanks again.

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:45 AM
  • You're awesome. Thank you for helping despite the ridiculously rude person that asked this question. This worked for me and I had the same problem.
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:57 PM
  • I got the same issue which is resolved now. 

I was using the Dell Laptop with a Docking system and getting the same issue when using with docker and without docker it was working fine. 

Solution which worked for me:

I changed the data cable which connected the monitor with my docking system and it works. 

Hope if anyone got the same problem and get help from this solution. 

~Sanj

Friday, March 21, 2014 5:08 AM
  • I've been having this problem off and on for quite a while.  Other annoying symptoms that haven't been mentioned yet include shift+space not doing anything (normally just inserts a space as normal - not having that is extremely annoying for all-caps words/acronyms or closing punctuation marks since you have to release shift before pressing space afterwards - can't tell you how often words would run together because of that bug!) as well as programs opening up minimized when opened through the "Run" dialog.

Anywho, I just discovered the solution that worked for me!

I have a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop and had downloaded a keyboard for it called TouchPal, since it lets you "swipe" when typing.  Turns out when that keyboard is enabled as the default one, Alt+Tab doesn't work, and those other symptoms come with it.  I clicked the keyboard icon in the system tray and just set the normal Windows keyboard as the default one, and now everything is fixed!

No idea why having an alternate soft keyboard causes all that to happen, but I'm glad it's fixed, and I hope this helps some other people out, too.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:03 PM
  • Well I'm five years too late for this post but I've been in the industry since the age of 12 or 54 years now and if a user found his/her way to a so-called tech forum and then wrote "Alt-Tab isn't working" It would never ever in a million years occur to me to ask RUDELY if s/he was hitting Alt and Tab one after the other or simultaneously (and yes, I was probably the first support person to discover that someone's computer problem was caused by not having the machine PLUGGED IN). However, this is 'typical' for Microsoft 'support'. #LAMEBRAIN
    Tuesday, April 01, 2014 2:47 PM