none
Network ID greyed out

Question

• Hello everyone,

I am trying to get a computer to connect to my office's domain server. When I go to change the Network ID or to select a server, neither option is available. I have tried creating new profiles, rebooting, repairing network connections, verified that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" were installed, and made sure that the DNS Preferred server address is correct.

The only thing I can think of is when I tried to add the computer to the server (Windows Server 2008) the profile for the computer is not generating a DNS name.

I would ask our IT Manager (the guy that installed the server), but he quit 2 days ago and I have been "promoted" to his spot. Unfortunately servers and networking fall outside of my IT knowledge, so any advice or assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:51 PM

Answers

• What version of Windows 7 do you have?

It must be Professional or Ultimate in order to join a domain.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:41 PM

All replies

• What version of Windows 7 do you have?

It must be Professional or Ultimate in order to join a domain.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Please vote my post as helpful if you think it was, and mark it as an answer if it answered
    your question. That will help others with the same problem finding the answer. Thanks.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Ah. Apparently this is the only Home Premium machine in the office. Out of the 30 machines here there is one with Home Premium....that is a mystery for another day.

Thank you

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:03 PM
  • You might be able to connect to it by creating a shortcut to the \\server-name\folder-share and providing login/password for it.

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:10 PM
  • While that does allow me to get into the computer that houses the server, it still does not allow for me to connect to the DNS server that the company runs. Any tricks to get that to happen?
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:56 PM