none
Extremely slow file copying / moving / deleting

Question

• I've had what I though to be intermittent problems with explorer getting hung up or taking forever while moving files to a different directory, or even deleting files.

However, I have been doing some testing and found that I can copy/move/delete even gigabyte files in no time at all unless they are... Eureka!  Media files!

Videos and music files seem to be the only ones with this kind of problem.  Does not matter the size.

It gets hung on Time Remaining:   Calculating....
                           Items Remaining:  Calculating...
                           Speed...                Calculating...

Or if trying to delete:

It gets hung on Preparing to recycle
                           Discovering items....
                           Time Remaining:   Calculating....
                           Items Remaining:  Calculating...
                           Speed...                Calculating...

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• Konectics, how many files do the folders containing the video and music file have? When copying/moving/deleting a file, the calculation time depends on not only the file size but the file number of its folder. It is recommended to separate to multiple sub-folders if you have a large number of video/music files.

In addition, the issue can be related to third-party codecs or third-party components, espcially file system filter drivers, such as anti-virus drivers. You can boot the system into Safe Mode and have some tests. If Safe Mode works fine, you can then check the startup programs and loaded third-party services by running msconfig.

Bowen
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:18 AM

All replies

• Konectics, how many files do the folders containing the video and music file have? When copying/moving/deleting a file, the calculation time depends on not only the file size but the file number of its folder. It is recommended to separate to multiple sub-folders if you have a large number of video/music files.

In addition, the issue can be related to third-party codecs or third-party components, espcially file system filter drivers, such as anti-virus drivers. You can boot the system into Safe Mode and have some tests. If Safe Mode works fine, you can then check the startup programs and loaded third-party services by running msconfig.

Bowen
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:18 AM
  • If i have everything in 1 folder, and copy that folder of stuff, it is relatively speedy and accurate. If i start 2 copy sessions, lets say copy 2 different folders, even if one has almost nothing in it, it takes HOURS. If i cancel the second folder of copying, the first speeds back up, and takes no time at all. Funny. Then i copy the second seperately, after the first is done, and it is speedy too! Funny. Doing 2 things at the same time, screw it up so much!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:12 PM
  • I have run into this particular behavior. The delay stems from Windows Explorer spending time generating media thumbnail previews in the background.

To reproduce this issue:
    • Open Task Manager so you can monitor your CPU usage.
    • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to a folder of media where no thumbnails have been generated yet.
    • Try to delete a file. Watch as Windows takes 30 seconds to several minutes to "discover items" before prompting you to confirm deletion. During this process, notice how Task Manager shows high or maximum CPU usage dedicated to Windows explorer and a dllhost child process.
    • Allow Windows to finish it's thumbnailing process so the CPU settles to idle. After that, try to delete a media file again. Notice how the delete confirmation dialog appears immediately this time.
    This was an issue all the way back in Windows 98 for image files. The issue was corrected for 2000/XP. Looks like Microsoft let this particular bug regress its way back in. Way to go, guys!
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Consider configuring symbols in Process Explorer and checking the stacks of the threads of the referenced processes, that are consuming the most CPU - perhaps, a third-party module will show itself as being involved.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I have a similar problem on a laptop (Acer Aspire 1360, 2 GB Ram). I had only one file on my desktop, a 2.5 GB mpg video file , and I tried to delete it. It takes 10 mn before the deletion complete (displayed message : "calculating time remaining...").

Such a problem have already been mentioned for Vista.

I would prefer an instant deletion than knowing the time it will take for that action (it is a matter of common sense...).
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Have you tried deleting the file from a CMD prompt?  What was the outcome?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 10:33 AM
  • I'm having the same problem except is is extremely slow with everything.
    I have a NAS server and I tried to move 2 gigs from 1 folder to another and it was taking over 4 hrs.
    I went to my XP box and moved the exact same data and it took less then 2 min.
    I had no media files in this group at all.
    All drivers are up to date, no unusual services etc. Everything else works great and I'm actually quite pleased with Windows 7,
    but I do a lot of data transfers and this is beginning to sway my opinion of this.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:08 AM
  • Hello,

most of the files I have to copy/move/delete are .vhd, .zip, and .iso files and I experience the same problem. Windows 7 is extremely slow at those operations. Things that took seconds on Windows XP take at least minutes, sometimes hours on Windows 7.

I am very disappointed

/Klaus
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:33 AM
  • If i have everything in 1 folder, and copy that folder of stuff, it is relatively speedy and accurate. If i start 2 copy sessions, lets say copy 2 different folders, even if one has almost nothing in it, it takes HOURS. If i cancel the second folder of copying, the first speeds back up, and takes no time at all. Funny. Then i copy the second seperately, after the first is done, and it is speedy too! Funny. Doing 2 things at the same time, screw it up so much!

I have experinced similar problems with Windows 7, there is no excessive CPU usage (below 7% on a Intel Quad). If I boot on windows XP the move/copy function takes a fraction of the time Win7. Everything else runs fairly smoothly, but this is getting me to the red zone.

Some times moving one file from a subdir to a root dir forexsample. Root/work/dummy.file to root/dummy.file can take minutes.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:23 AM
  • I am having the same issue when I am a 2-4 large files (.AVI) to a network share.

Does anyone know of a patch or a work around?

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Same issue here. Media files only, locally stored (no NAS involved), small or large - doesn't matter. Most often the issue is when deleting/moving/copying from Desktop to another folder, the behaviour is just as described by the OP.
    Tuesday, December 01, 2009 11:43 AM
  • same problem here.... driving me bonkers.
    Has anyone found a solution?
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:28 AM
  • same problem here.... driving me bonkers.
    Has anyone found a solution?
    For me it was a malfunctioning hard drive. Windows 7 is extremely sensitive to data errors, even if they occur on disks which are not being accessed. So if you have 2 hard drives, especially if you use a mobile rack or if it's an external hard drive, and one of them has some errors on it (for example, messed up  files on a hard drive you use to store multimedia - check disk might not even notice these errors), then the indexing process that Win 7 would be running in the background would crash and cause the Explorer to become infinitely slow. The only solution I could find was to reformat the faulty disk. However, if you do that, make sure you don't copy the messed-up files to another location, because when Indexing reaches them again you will have the same issue all over again. Alternatively, turn indexing off.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:00 AM
  • I am having the same problem with Vista.  I just killed a delete from a network drive that lasted all day and looked like it was just over halfway done when I came in tonight.   About 10,000 files and less than 2 GB of data.  Looks like I may just have to live with lost storage.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 3:28 AM
  • Running win7-64bit enterprise.
    Last night I moved some files from one computer to another using just the copy command and a MSHOME shaired computer.
    It hovered around 9.5 Meg a Sec. transfer rate.
    I transfered 6 Gig of files from a XP computer to win 7 computer.
    I did not think much about it, till I read your post.

I got to send some files back to the same computer in a few , but I going to reboot into Win XP on this computer and see if the transfer is the same.
    I'll send 6 gig back to see the transfer rate in winxp
    Bye for now i'll edit this post to continue.
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:06 PM
  • Same problem here, 90 hours plus estimate to transfer a few gigs worth of pictures, on a fresh install of windows 7, had a ton of issues keeping the internet connection going, and the computer in general is painfully slow, after installing 7, I'm almost ready to go MAC.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:17 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem from multiple Windows 7 computers when accessing sharepoint 2007 via UNC path.  It's extremely slow to open and completely display any folder from sharepoint via UNC path (or mapped drive), even though the same folder opens very quickly under XP...  And the XP instancees are guests on the same windows 7 boxes that are having problems.  Makes no difference whether the clients are 64-bit or 32-bit.  Have found no solutions so far.

Also posted this EE article on the problem:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/Windows_7/Q_25012607.html#a26196370

Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:32 AM
  • My Windows 7 professional 64 bit system has caused several issues for me which may be related.  I have two external drives - a relatively old  150Gb freecom and a 6 month old 1Tb Seagate - both of which worked fine with old Vista Home setup.  A week or so before Christmas the Seagate kept 'disappearing' it would be visible in Computer Management where it appeared to be 'running normally'  but when i tried to access the drive I would get messages saying the item was 'no longer in that location'.  Cut a long story short - including reformatting the Seagate several times - we fiddled around until it worked fine on my son in laws system Windows 7 32 bit Home - brought it back and it worked fine on mine for a few minutes - then began the same behaviour again.  So I kind of gave up and planned to return it under warranty and rely on the old Freecom box in the meantime - just cutting back on the number of files backed up.  Today the Freecom has started to do the same.  I copied a bunch of photos from my son's wedding with no problem, then when I tried to copier a slightly larger folder across (635 MB) I get the same message 'The item is no longer in  this location'. Except it is. I can open it in Computer and open the files that did copy (about half the folder).  I thought it might be a size issue so tried copying across in smaller sections - drag and drop worked once for four files then the same problem - reboot and all is well again - then copy and paste for four more files worked okay once then the same again!   I did explore and for some reason the system was looking to read from or write to a different drive letter to teh one it had allocated to the external drive. It appears as F:  but when it failed it was looking for O:   I'm stumped and frustrated  Close to reformatting but having only just got up and running after the 'upgrade' from Vista I'm not sure I can face it.

I'm no techie and would really appreciate some suggestions if anyone has any ideas or has heard of othe rinstances where Windows seems to change drive letter allocation mid-session.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:45 PM
  • I'll add my two cents worth as to say I'm likewise seeing a wholly unacceptable (as in unusable) slowdown in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit (desktop) and Windows 7 Premium 64-bit (netbook) when...as best I can isolate things...browsing a folder of video files on a USB flash drive or USB hard drive.  The problem is uniquely with video files but I have not explored it any further to isolate the problem to a particular video format, i.e., AVI, WMV, MOV, MP4, etc.  Basically, the moment I browse to said folder, Windows Explorer seems to just lock up and my only solution at the moment is to kill all explorer.exe processes and run explorer.exe again.  Originally the problem seemed to manifest itself as the data collection process indicated by the green "progress" (if one can call it progress) bar crawling across the address window but never quite finishing.  I've waited as much as 30-40 minutes for completion, when of course anything more than even 3-4 seconds should be deemed unacceptable.

I've not been using Windows 7 for all that long, but I'm virtually certain I've done some video file management on USB drives without such problems before.  This leaves me to question is there has been some Windows 7 update that has introduced this problem.  File mangement via the command prompt is no problem at all, so I find it inexcusable that there is any delay with Windows Explorer when performing identical operations.  I hate to think I've wasted money on two versions of Windows 7, but with this problem being as signficant as it is, I'm questioning if I should return to using Vista 64 Ultimate, where I had no problems of this nature except during the pre-SP1 phase.  With the initial release of Vista, there was a similar problem with very slow Windows Explorer performance and I wonder if Microsoft has let some bad code get reintroduced in some recent Windows 7 change.  Problems of this nature simply should not occur...they are far, far too basic in operation and frequency of use for Microsoft to have missed if there was any reasonable software testing performed on Windows 7.  And I say that speaking from professional experience as a software test engineer.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:55 AM
  • Same issue here, and I am using the 32 bit version.
    It seems if that if a single video file doesn't comply with Windows metadata standards (whatever they may be), it pretty much kills the indexing process, the drive, and Explorer. Which is an absolute pain for me when transcoding video files from one format to another, because a file which is a result of a failed conversion would crash the Explorer the moment I tried to delete. The only solution I see is to make sure that every video file you have is PERFECT, and that, of course, unacceptable.
    Monday, January 11, 2010 6:25 AM
  • Hi all

I stumbled across a critical update on the HP site (released silently last month) relating to a Microsoft Host Controller update.  No idea if this is machine specific or generic but the link I used was

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3943716

I run an HP 6044UK machine, but I am assuming other manufacturers will have similar updates if this one is machine specific.

I had drives disappearing during copying, 99% CPU usage when copying, mouse stopping and all sorts of other problems and touch wood this has solved them all.  I am currently backing up my 250 Gb of c: drive onto my external (using Windows back up just to test it) and after an hour and a half we're almost 40% done.  Not quick but at least it seems to be doing what I need.

I was also directed towards the following link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 but since the patch supplied by HP sorted my problems I haven't used it myself.

Sorry if this isn't a solution for you, but after the upgrade Windows 7 now feels like the asset I hoped it would be when I bought it, and not the lame duck it was becoming. Hope this helps if you have been as frustrated as I have with USB / external drive / lock up / copying issues

happy computing:/
    • Proposed as answer by Johnny Dogbert Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:30 PM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Hi all

I stumbled across a critical update on the HP site (released silently last month) relating to a Microsoft Host Controller update.  No idea if this is machine specific or generic but the link I used was

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3943716

I run an HP 6044UK machine, but I am assuming other manufacturers will have similar updates if this one is machine specific.

I had drives disappearing during copying, 99% CPU usage when copying, mouse stopping and all sorts of other problems and touch wood this has solved them all.  I am currently backing up my 250 Gb of c: drive onto my external (using Windows back up just to test it) and after an hour and a half we're almost 40% done.  Not quick but at least it seems to be doing what I need.

I was also directed towards the following link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972 but since the patch supplied by HP sorted my problems I haven't used it myself.

Sorry if this isn't a solution for you, but after the upgrade Windows 7 now feels like the asset I hoped it would be when I bought it, and not the lame duck it was becoming. Hope this helps if you have been as frustrated as I have with USB / external drive / lock up / copying issues

happy computing:/

This worked for me also.  I was getting the "preparing to recycle" message when trying to delete media files.

After installing KB976972 it fixed the problem.

Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:28 PM
  • Just developed a similar problem here (Windows 7 Pro):

User had 125 MB file that needed to be deleted from the C: drive.  When you press Delete it would hang at a window saying "Discovering..." indefinitely.   The file is a .rvt file (data file for Revit).

Tried dropping to Administrator command prompt, and deleting from a command window, but it would lock up.  Did a full chkdisk, found a few things but once back in Windows 7 still could not delete.  Also tried from safe mode, no luck there either.  I have also disabled Windows Search thinking maybe it was due to that but also still cannot delete.

In our case there are no USB devices connected, nor any external drives of any kind.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:08 PM
  • Just developed a similar problem here (Windows 7 Pro):

User had 125 MB file that needed to be deleted from the C: drive.  When you press Delete it would hang at a window saying "Discovering..." indefinitely.   The file is a .rvt file (data file for Revit).

Tried dropping to Administrator command prompt, and deleting from a command window, but it would lock up.  Did a full chkdisk, found a few things but once back in Windows 7 still could not delete.  Also tried from safe mode, no luck there either.  I have also disabled Windows Search thinking maybe it was due to that but also still cannot delete.

In our case there are no USB devices connected, nor any external drives of any kind.
    I did a bing search for "Revit files deleting .rvt "

This is not just a windows 7 issue, but wide spread like the Adobe files in windows directory.

This is also a little off subject of this thread.

Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:11 AM
  • I have the same problem.

It doesn't not matter how large the file is.  Sometimes Win 7 just gets in a tizzy and refuses to do anything with the file.

Best I have figured out is to reboot, drop to a PowerShell prompt with Admin Privs, and delete the file from there.

Not even the ordinary command prompt with admin privs will work.  It just hangs.
    Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Same here on windows 7 and windows server 2008 r2.
    It's the kind of thing that makes me want to throw the computer out the window.
    I cannot stand it. The worst thin is: it doesn't make any sense, there's no reason why it should do that.

And regarding the suggestion that someone made to delete the file form the command line: seriously, what year is it? Should it be that hard to delete or move a file? It's not RedHat 5 is it?
    Friday, March 05, 2010 11:05 AM
  • Found (and posted) a solution, at least for .rvt files, and probably for others.

See

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/58758b64-ffa4-406e-a442-e6bd704eb1ed/#b250b8a2-4667-4321-be77-47b4cd08271a
    Sunday, March 07, 2010 4:13 AM
  • This problem has been affecting us since the Vista launch and it looks as if Windows 7 is no different. What I can't understand is why Microsoft can't solve this problem simply as it wasn't a problem in XP and 2000. A workaround that has worked for me is to use a 3rd party File Explorer/Manager application to delete problem files, although having to do this borders on unacceptable in my book when you consider the $400 price tag for Ulltimate Editions.

It's funny when Microsoft is stumped when users stick with XP. It's issues like this that create these problems.

Christopher Tenzycki,
    MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, Server Administrator
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring; Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring; Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring; Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops; Windows Vista, Configuring
    MCSE: Windows 2000
    MCDBA: SQL Server 2000
    MCP, A+, Network+

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:36 PM
  • I too have the same problems.

I've been searching for this for days with no solution whatsoever.  I also have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed (for about 2 weeks now) and I cannot move, copy, or delete files properly.  I constantly download files to my local C: and then move them to externals for backup.  Windows 7 will hang on "discovering items" or occasionally say "about 5 seconds remaining" and will stay there indefinitely.  I cannot cancel the process.  It will say "cancelling" and then go back to whatever it was doing.

I have tried disabling Windows Search.  All drives are set to permanently delete files.  I have run error checks on ALL of my drives.  I have rebooted and tried immediately to delete a file and get the same result.

For example, right now I just rebooted my computer because it got stuck moving a .ISO file.  I then tried to delete another particular 4.7gig .ISO file from my external and since I started writing this it has said "Discovering items:"  "items remaining: 0"  "speed: 0 items/second".

Am I supposed to plug in an old computer running a copy of Windows XP to get rid of this and other files?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:43 AM
  • I have this problem and partly solved it, at least, by disabling the Preview Pane in explorer.

Dave

Dave Waddell Houston, TX USA
    Friday, July 16, 2010 7:01 AM
  • someone said "it may be caused by a third-party codecs", I therefore detected a mulfunctional Apple's Quicktime. It seems working now. I need to reinstall to see if Apple and Microsoft are really biting each other in certain fields/ good luck to you all.

Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:08 PM
  • There are a bunch of things that are kind of "plugins for explorer" like raw image viewers from Canon, png viewers, several codecs (including the one you mentioned). The problem appears to be independent of the number of files in the directory. I don't think this is something that such viewers/codecs should be able to influence and lay the blame completely on Microsoft. I'd like to know which was the culprit but I'm not sure I want to waste my time.

Dave

Dave Waddell Houston, TX USA
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Here is a possible fix Slow Cut Copy and Paste

Go to
    1.     Control panel
    2.     System and Maintenance
    3.     Administrative tools
    4.     Run services shortcut

Once the services program loads find the services called Background intelligent transfer service and stop it also right click on the same service and click properties then change the start value to manual or disabled this should also fix the network problem and USB copy and paste problem.

I am not quite sure if this will work on windows 7.   I am running vista but some of the system is similar.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:34 AM
  • I had this too and solved it by doing these things:

1/ right mouse click on file/folder and go properties

2/ See the file/folder is probably Read Only. Uncheck that

3/ Go to Advanced... and deselect the first two options, This file is... and Allow This file...

4/ click OK then Apply and then OK

Done.

• Proposed as answer by ambitvision Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:46 AM
    Friday, August 06, 2010 8:49 PM
  • I have windows 7 Ultimate and need to have some procedure to engage these fixes.

I am programmatically unzipping a file and copying it over an old unzipped file. The COPY...discovering items dialog box appears and there is no hope.

In the  Background intelligent transfer service dialog box I have ticked the start mode to manual, but still no performance change.

Thanks to anyone

• Proposed as answer by RBlibit Monday, August 30, 2010 9:30 PM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:43 PM
  • I upgraded from Windows NT to 2000 Pro, then 200 Pro to XP Pro, skipped Vista, and finally to W7 Pro - And W7 Pro is by far the slower then all  of the older Operating system by an order of magnitude (at least the Windows Explorer file manager part of it is, and everyone uses that!).  I was really depressed at how long it took to delete 10,000 1 MB Image files (I do a dozen sets of these every week as part of my job).

Someone up higher in this list mentioned it was a thumbnail generation problem, but I did not see anyone propose the following solution that I found:

TO GREATLY SPEED UP DELETING, COPYING or MOVING IMAGE FILES (of any size, but especially large ones) in Win 7, Windows Explorer:

In Windows Explorer , on the TOOLS Menu item, then select Folder Options , then click the VIEW Tab (on top of the Dialog that pops up) finally, CHECK the box labeled ALWAYS SHOW ICONS, NEVER THUMBNAILSThen apply it. This will speed up copying, deleting and moving all kinds of Image files, but especially the large ones (since processing large file to make thumb nails takes longer).  I was looking at system files and had the option to show system files turned on and it actually builds a "hidden/System" files named "thumbs.db" on every drive you open and begin to process. In fact, it would not let me delete the folder since I had the system files showing!

NOTES:

1) You may have to turn on the "menus" in Windows Explorer as they have them OFF by default in Windows 7 for some reason.

2) Windows Explorer is on the Accessories menu or it is the same as opening My Computer only there is no folder tree on the left.

Thanks,

Richard Blibit (RBlibit)

• Proposed as answer by Tomato Soup Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:44 PM
    Monday, August 30, 2010 9:52 PM
  • The problem is not related only to media files. I think the same happens to any file that can be "previewed" in any way (thumbnails are an example of previewing the file).

I´m having the same problems with .nb files from "Mathematica 7". I´m suspecting it installed a internal search in explorer and it is not working as it should. It´s not hard to imagine that many of the media players around are doing the same. 

Someone mentioned pluggins for windows explorer, does anybody know where I can find which ones are instaled in my explorer and how I turn them off?

Friday, October 08, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I have 8 Corel Draw and PDF files in a folder that I'm trying to move, but it never stops preparing, and won't stop when I hit Cancel. I have to terminate explorer.exe to get my Windows 7 back.

This is really frustrating. First I suspected I installed some malware (iTunes, Google, Oracle Virtualbox?) , then, when Office trial cannot verify license due to not being able to write to "C:/$Secure", I scanned my drive fully with a reboot. The Windows HDD scan resulted in 0 damaged sectors, and Office inexplicably, worked again. If file system errors were detected (too fast, I didn't see), they should be corrected, right? But no, I still can't touch my files.

Does this have to do with excessive shuffling around of files? I did defrag quite a bit recently...

Thanks

Monday, December 06, 2010 2:19 PM
  • I like to add my two cents. I too have a problem with Windows 7 deleting media files from an external USB drive. I tried everything listed on this page so far and nothing worked. I then decided that the files that I am having trouble deleting are media files. In my case .ifo and .vob files from a dvd backup. I then tried renaming the files with a new extension. I changed the extensions on those files to .ggg. Just a meaningless extension name that has nothing to do with media type files. I was then able to instantaneously delete all the files from my USB drive. I think that the problem has something to do with those files being associations to Windows live media and photo software.
    • Proposed as answer by Florida_kes Monday, March 14, 2011 6:50 PM
    Monday, January 24, 2011 2:15 AM
  • This issue has been a huge bother for me on Vista and Windows 7, can't comprehend how it got out of Beta with it still in place...but simply changing the media file's extensions to a nonsensical value did the trick for me.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:52 PM
  • I'm having issues copying video files to my 8GB USB flash drive. The drive is plenty fast (around 9MB/s write), but it sits there for a few minutes discovering items. I'm going to try a few things after reading all these comments. I will post any success I have.
    Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Disable thumbnails?

Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Open Windows Explorer (file manager). Click tools -> folder options. Click the View tab -> tick "Always show icons, never thumbnails". After I did this copying 800GB from one internal drive to another went from 22 hours to 2.5 hours. Why hasn't Microsoft fixed this? I would love to know what causes this bug.
    • Proposed as answer by Tomato Soup Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:37 PM
    • Edited by Tomato Soup Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Use UNLOCKER to solve the problem.

I had same problem since last week, tried use command line / enable "Always show icons, never thumbnails"/ disable services and other tricks posted regard this problem and none of them work.

I even tried manually move one file at a time - tried around 20 files, and found some files unable to move, it seems system think they are in use by some program - but they aren't open or in use, don't know why because I am not a computer tech.  So, I download a program call:  UNLOCKER to unclock all files left in the directory (one key function in the program, no need to do one by one), I then finally able to move 140 files for around 16 gigs of files instantly to other folder on the same HD.

Haven't try on a directory with many sub-directories, but it works for single directory easily....wonder when Microsoft is going to fix the problem or they still claim it's the third party codec cause the problem.

Just Google the program on the net for web site to download UNLOCKER.

• Edited by catango Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:39 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:36 AM
  • hi i just experienced the same problem on a windows 7 toshiba laptop with 4gb ram so i was a bit confused. did some random experiments and this worked for me:

• Open task manager and click the processes tab so you can monitor cpu usage.
    • Arrange in order of name so you can easily find explorer.exe
    • Try to delete the files giving you the problem and watch in task manager for which explorer.exe starts using the cpu (however little it may).
    • Then click that explorer.exe and end the process. WARNING: the taskbar, desktop and everything will disappear, leaving only task manager open.
    • Go to file and click new task. then type in: explorer.exe
    • It should load up explorer exe and wait for everything to return to normal
    • Try deletign again and it should be fixed. was an instant fix for me but its probably temporary so use it until you permanently fix it.

hope that helps

• Proposed as answer by Jonnyboy3110 Monday, January 16, 2012 9:01 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:57 PM
  • I found that the following enables you to copy / delete files with far less bother - things get going instantaneously
    • Control panel
    • Programs
    • Turn Windows features On or Off
    • Remove the tick form Remote Differential compression
    HTH
    • Proposed as answer by fedupwithjunk Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:21 PM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 3:21 PM
  •    It happens for me too -- transferring 1 GB of all sorts of files from a DVD starts slow @ around 2.2 mb/sec then progressively drops to 232 k / sec!! I have many GB of disks from the last 10 years to transfer to my large hard drive that can now hold all these old picture and every other file-type backups. It took over 1.5 HOURS to transfer 1GB!!!! This makes file transfers almost impossible because It will literally take months to finish putting all these CD's and DVD's on my hard drive!

232 k/sec is just UNACCEPTABLE!! I tried all the fixed and tricks I could find, no go. This seems to be a Microsoft Win 7 64-bit problem? NEVER happened on all my old XP machines.

However I had one PICTURE file which was over 100MB which transferred INSTANTLY -- I mean without any delay whatsoever, no waiting at ALL. It was a large artwork file for a book cover I designed. So "media file" isn't it? Add it up -- If the 1 GB I mention above copied that fast (100MB in less than a second), it would have taken 10 SECONDS!!!

Sooooo  explain to me why my computer is capable of transferring a gig from the optical drive in roughly 10 seconds, but instead it takes 1.5 HOURS and drops down to 232k/sec ?? Why can't it just grab the whole folder as-is and chunk it onto the hard drive???

• Edited by spiralsun1 Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:30 AM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 12:16 AM
  • Had a similar problem with a large media file converted by VLC player. Playback in VLC looked corrupt, so I presume the preview window bugged out.

Don't know if this will work for all cases, but I eventually deleted the file by ordering the file to be deleted, then logging out while the delete prompt was still stuck on "preparing."

Some process that caused the hangup must have been stopped during the logout.
    Monday, May 07, 2012 4:06 AM
  • I had this too and solved it by doing these things:

1/ right mouse click on file/folder and go properties

2/ See the file/folder is probably Read Only. Uncheck that

3/ Go to Advanced... and deselect the first two options, This file is... and Allow This file...

4/ click OK then Apply and then OK

Done.

This works everytime this happens, normally with large folders/files. Win7 ftl
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 8:47 AM
  • Kill the Windows Media Player processes.  It's either wmplayer32 or the network sharing part of it.  After doing that I was able to delete the file with the expected quickness, and didn't get the wierd dialog, just the normal delete box.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 4:23 AM
  • remove all components of DIV X and it will solve the problem, it worked for me...
    • Proposed as answer by Strategist-ZH Friday, August 03, 2012 7:57 PM
    Friday, August 03, 2012 7:56 PM
  • I had that same extremely annoying problem with endless calculating or discovering items when deleting files/folders. In my case deleting empty folder without any files/folders inside would sometimes totally block discovering items that cannot be canceled.

It appeared to be related to Tortoise SVN/GIT after killing TSVNCache.exe and TGitCache.exe the problem was gone.

Saturday, February 09, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Sad, seems Windows keeps evolving to being more and more bulky and slower for simple tasks.

I usually resort to using command line tools, here's a batch file I wrote to delete directory trees, but not individual files.   It supports multiple directories with a single drag and will also work on UNC paths, Windows XP and Windows 7.

And it's free!

Test it by copying the script to your desktop, then create a bunch of empty folders on your desktop, then select them all and drag and drop onto the script icon.

@echo off
    REM Deletes directories that are specified as parameters to script.
    REM It's easier to place the script on the desktop and just drag and drop directories onto the script icon.

REM Customize behavior 1 enables, anything else disables
    REM Log written to same directory as the script unless otherwise specified, include path
    set _PROMPT=1
    set _LOG=1
    set _DISPLAYLOG=1
    set _LOGFILENAME=

setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    set _DIRS=%*
    if not defined _DIRS goto :END
    for %%A in (%_DIRS%) do (
         if "%_PROMPT%"=="1" (
              set _X=
              set /p _X=Are you sure, delete '%%A'?
              if /i "!_X!"=="Y" call :DELETE %%A
         ) else (
              call :DELETE %%A
         )
    )
    :SKIP

:END
    if "%_DISPLAYLOG%"=="1" (
         if exist "%_LOGFILENAME%" (
              start notepad.exe "%_LOGFILENAME%"
         )
    )
    goto :EOF

:DELETE
    if "%_LOG%"=="1" (
         if not defined _LOGFILENAME set _LOGFILENAME=%~dp0%~n0.txt
         if not exist "!_LOGFILENAME!" echo Deleted Directory Log >> "!_LOGFILENAME!"
         echo %* >> "!_LOGFILENAME!"
    )

rmdir /q /s %*
    goto :EOF

STANDARD DISCLAIMER
    These scripts are intended for general use, and no warranty is implied for suitability to any given task.
    I hold no responsibility for your setup or any damage done while using/installing/modifying these scripts.
    Some assembly required.  Batteries Not Included.

• Proposed as answer by Edwierd Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:02 PM
    • Edited by Edwierd Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:04 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 4:02 PM

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:33 AM
  • This was a issue for me after I installed windows on a new drive, the old drive is now used as storage space. I went into the drive properties/security/advanced/owner, tick the box that applies the selected settings to folders int he drive and retake ownership of the drive. This worked for me.
    Monday, September 09, 2013 5:35 PM
  • I just started getting the issue once I had installed Lavasoft Adaware antivirus, but problem goes away and files move quickly again if I disable the real time protection. Seems that as an antivirus real time protection scans each file when it is being used, this shows up as 'discovering item' in windows explorer when you are trying to move large media files.
    Monday, December 30, 2013 3:15 PM
  • I found that Toshiba ReelTime caused this problem when it was active.   Stop ReelTime and the move occurred at normal speed
    Monday, January 27, 2014 10:51 AM
  • I don't recommend this. From Wikipedia: A myth has arisen that RDC significantly slows local file transfers and should be switched off; a Microsoft TechNet Web page by a Microsoft Directory Services Team member comprehensibly debunks this with detailed timings, additional to the fact that a service which is not invoked by software cannot have any effect, detrimental or otherwise.

Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel I7-3770k, Adata SSD 128gb x2 in Raid0, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 mobo, 16gb Ram, multiple external and internal storage drives (USB 3.0, 2.0 and eSata, internal Sata). The purpose of technology is to give us the information we crave faster.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:03 AM
  • This was a useful thread thanks. I just want to add my findings: I had several thousand files to delete. After reading the thread I sorted them by type. That made it clear when there was a problem. The ones that ended up being a sticking point for me were .htm files. I felt the system was confused because it was trying to deal with the associated files in the related subdirectory to the htm file. When I deleted those htm files singly they disappeared (with their associated subfolder) in the normal way.
    2 hours 56 minutes ago