none
External Hard Drive Not Recognized by Windows 7

Question

• I recently purchased a Seagate external hard drive to run back-ups on my desktop, the operating system for which is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit..  It worked fine for about a month, but then I periodically began to receive a message that the device was not recognized.  If I powered down the hard drive and reattached it would then be recognized, but then within a day or two I would receive the same "not recognized" message.  I called Dell support (I have a Studio 540 desktop and it is still under warranty) and the Dell rep uninstalled and reinstalled all my USB drivers, but the problem was not resolved.  He advised me that the only solution would be to remove and reinstall Windows.  I do not want to do this unless it is totally necessary because then my system would be wiped. In addition, I have heard of other people with similar problems and I am not convinced that reinstalling Windows will resolve the issue.   I am fairly certain that the problem is not with the external hard drive because I attached it to my laptop for two days and had no issues with it being recognized (my laptop uses Windows Vista 32-bit).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue without my having to reinstall Windows?

Sunday, August 21, 2011 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For this kind of this, it could be a driver, registry or hardware issue.

Considering you have reinstalled the driver for test, please update the BIOS and chipset driver.

Meanwhile, please refer to the following article:

How to fix USB device not recognized in Windows Comments Feed

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For this kind of this, it could be a driver, registry or hardware issue.

Considering you have reinstalled the driver for test, please update the BIOS and chipset driver.

Meanwhile, please refer to the following article:

How to fix USB device not recognized in Windows Comments Feed

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:26 AM
  • Turn the computer off without the external hard drive being plugged in.
    plug the external hard drive in a usb port, power up, the systems post boot up will find the drive and inform windows what hardware is installed.
    When windows boots up, it will look at all the hardware and find the external hard drive, when windows finishes booting up you should be able to see the drive in my computer.

If it helps, please vote for me!

And also, by the time you finish reading this you will realize that this is just my signature.

Monday, March 12, 2012 4:05 AM