none
Replace Vista with XP pro

Question

• I bought an Acer TravelMate 6291 with pre-loaded Vista Home. I have a requirement of installing XP Pro on the laptop. I tried over-writing the OS, however, XP is not able to recognize the hard disk. It seems XP requires a SATA driver, which is not used by Vista. Is there anyway we can get around this problem.

Cheers,

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:27 PM

Answers

•  

You can manually load the driver using a USB floppy drive. Install drivers before you get to the install screen in Win XP install by using the F6 button. Load the SATA driver and go ahead try it and it should be able to see the hard drive. Also there might be support in the BIOS for ATA mode read.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:56 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As your issue is related to Windows XP, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot it. If the issue persists after trying simulatedsurvivor’s suggestion, I suggest discussing the issue in our Windows XP newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Windows XP newsgroup

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:40 AM

All replies

•  

You can manually load the driver using a USB floppy drive. Install drivers before you get to the install screen in Win XP install by using the F6 button. Load the SATA driver and go ahead try it and it should be able to see the hard drive. Also there might be support in the BIOS for ATA mode read.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:56 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please understand that we mainly discuss Windows Vista issues in this forum. As your issue is related to Windows XP, we are not the best resource to troubleshoot it. If the issue persists after trying simulatedsurvivor’s suggestion, I suggest discussing the issue in our Windows XP newsgroup. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Windows XP newsgroup

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

I hope your issue can be resolved soon.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, June 12, 2008 2:40 AM