none
Windows Vista Service Pack 3: Release Date?

Question

• Just wondering when the target date/timeframe is for Windows Vista Service Pack 3?
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• Windows Vista is drawing to the end of its life. Under Microsoft’s official product lifecycle, the mainstream support phase for Windows Vista will end in less than one year, on April 10, 2012—five years, two months, and 16 days after it became generally available on January 25, 2007. (For business editions, there’s an extended support period that lasts another five years, guaranteeing security updates until 2017.)
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:07 AM

All replies

• There is not going to be any Service Pack 3 for Windows Vista.  Users are upgrading to Windows 7 which is available from the Microsoft Store.
    Carey Frisch
    Thursday, October 06, 2011 11:10 PM
  • That's....beyond disappointing if true, especially since Windows 7 is basically Vista SP 2.5.

If there's going to be now SP, will there at least be an updates rollup pack, or a SP2b or something that is SP2 with all the updates in it?

I still can't believe MS wouldn't do a "final" SP for Vista, considering how old it is and how much Windows 7 is based on it...

Friday, October 07, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Do you speak for Microsoft or you are guessing there won't be an SP3? Vista is in mainstream support for 7 months more and the last service pack was released in 2009. Vista SP3 is really needed and one that's cumulative.
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Windows Vista is drawing to the end of its life. Under Microsoft’s official product lifecycle, the mainstream support phase for Windows Vista will end in less than one year, on April 10, 2012—five years, two months, and 16 days after it became generally available on January 25, 2007. (For business editions, there’s an extended support period that lasts another five years, guaranteeing security updates until 2017.)
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 08, 2011 2:07 AM
  • ...eh. Sounds about right. I don't think they'll throw a Service Pack together in six months anyway. ...that, and it seems Microsoft wants to wash their hands of Vista as soon as they can. The problem, however, is Windows Server 2008, as it is on the same SP path as Vista. Businesses are a little slower in upgrading their servers. Not to mention, Windows Server 2008 R2 is 64-bit only, so if they're running 2008 on a box with no 64-bit compatible CPU...well...they're kinda hosed, right?
    Sunday, October 09, 2011 8:54 PM
    Carey Frisch

Hi all especially the moderators i would just like it cleared up from a proper source that vista service pack 3 will never see the light of day and if so then i will definately and permanently go over to linux.

Many thousands of posts on many forums going back years have requested a service pack 3 as sp2 along with the later patches didnt quite make it...

Xp however has been a very good workhorse for 12 years now and is still being used by many of my customers who i advised to take xp when moving from windows 98 or ME ..

I have been very faithfull to microsoft since the days of DOS and windows 3 etc but recently because microsoft have been dragging thier heals on vista and shoving two new operating systems practically back to back at the world windows 7 and 8 then i see myself giving up after nearly 20 years as engineer and technical advisor and have seen no recompense from microsoft due to thier complete ignorance to what the people who use MS OS actually want they seem to tell you what you are getting and you have to keep up..

Only if Microsoft can release a service pack 3 and allow support past the os projected user life just like the did with xp then it will definately force a downward slide in sales further than what it is right now due to a lack of confidence...

Vista to date has has less support than any other os prior to it and also had no support for many intel based chipsets and graphics that should have had and still be having support IE the 845 and 852 chipset and quite surprisingly these chipsets had hardly been on the market but wre still being supported by xp and linux why does microsoft want to cut the ties is there something they are not telling us...

So in closing heres a stratagem for microsoft surprise us all and do a proper release of servce pack 3 and have your engineers stop complaining and update and release full access to all past 845 and 852/855 drivers instead of just leaving a document were you would expect to find the driver as this type of mentality effects the sale of your new OS too or is that your plan allow vista to live till everyone can afford to tranfer to windows 7 when you release service pack 2 for it as at present its really gready and still has winsxs (and yes it does steal space even tho it is just meant to be hard links etc) so get that sorted as well by allowing the OS to clean outdated files and dlls etc from the winsxs folder or come up with a proper alternative like not having it just like you did in windows 98 and 98se

Time for everyone to make a stand service pack 3 vista all previously stopped driver support restarted for all 800 and 900 series chipsets graphics audio etc as this effects the sale of your other new OS as 50% of pcs still contain those 800 to 900 series chipsets etc you work it out sometimes forward thinking doenst work as i know most of my customers would happily upgrade thier OS but only if it was fully compatible but cant afford a new pc you do realise the world is in recession ????

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:12 PM

Carey Frisch

Hi all especially the moderators i would just like it cleared up from a proper source that vista service pack 3 will never see the light of day and if so then i will definately and permanently go over to linux.

Many thousands of posts on many forums going back years have requested a service pack 3 as sp2 along with the later patches didnt quite make it...

Xp however has been a very good workhorse for 12 years now and is still being used by many of my customers who i advised to take xp when moving from windows 98 or ME ..

I have been very faithfull to microsoft since the days of DOS and windows 3 etc but recently because microsoft have been dragging thier heals on vista and shoving two new operating systems practically back to back at the world windows 7 and 8 then i see myself giving up after nearly 20 years as engineer and technical advisor and have seen no recompense from microsoft due to thier complete ignorance to what the people who use MS OS actually want they seem to tell you what you are getting and you have to keep up..

Only if Microsoft can release a service pack 3 and allow support past the os projected user life just like the did with xp then it will definately force a downward slide in sales further than what it is right now due to a lack of confidence...

Vista to date has has less support than any other os prior to it and also had no support for many intel based chipsets and graphics that should have had and still be having support IE the 845 and 852 chipset and quite surprisingly these chipsets had hardly been on the market but wre still being supported by xp and linux why does microsoft want to cut the ties is there something they are not telling us...

So in closing heres a stratagem for microsoft surprise us all and do a proper release of servce pack 3 and have your engineers stop complaining and update and release full access to all past 845 and 852/855 drivers instead of just leaving a document were you would expect to find the driver as this type of mentality effects the sale of your new OS too or is that your plan allow vista to live till everyone can afford to tranfer to windows 7 when you release service pack 2 for it as at present its really gready and still has winsxs (and yes it does steal space even tho it is just meant to be hard links etc) so get that sorted as well by allowing the OS to clean outdated files and dlls etc from the winsxs folder or come up with a proper alternative like not having it just like you did in windows 98 and 98se

Time for everyone to make a stand service pack 3 vista all previously stopped driver support restarted for all 800 and 900 series chipsets graphics audio etc as this effects the sale of your other new OS as 50% of pcs still contain those 800 to 900 series chipsets etc you work it out sometimes forward thinking doenst work as i know most of my customers would happily upgrade thier OS but only if it was fully compatible but cant afford a new pc you do realise the world is in recession ????

I am just at normal it guy, but it seems someone needs to clear up a few things:

- Drivers are not developed by Microsoft. INTEL has decided to stop support for the products.
    ( To some extend Microsoft does have an influence, by increasing hardware feature requirements per OS version. )

- Windows 7 has an improved Vista core and i suggest buying it while it is still available.

- Windows 8 wil appear app. 3 years after Windows 7. Just as Win7 appeared app. 3 years after Vista.
    This is and allways (?) has been the Microsoft target for OS development. The XP -> Vista gap is an exeption.

- Giving 5 years of function patch support followed by 5 years security fixes on an comercial product is reasonable and fair. The fact that some fixes are never made, is however anoying at the least. This 5 + 5 strategy is an announced strategy and should not be a surprise to you.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/

p.s.
    I hate them too once in a while. ;-)

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Xp has 3, Vista has 2, and Seven has 1. Windows 8 probably won't even get a Service Pack.

Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Hey every body 

it's a bad thing that there's no sp3 for vista, some of us still use vista OS and they need support as some vista computers still alive on this planet, i know that the life cycle of windows had put the limit of windows vista in 2017 but these users still need this support as the are not ready to upgrade to 7 or 8 

(sorry if my English was bad)

Saturday, January 05, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Xp has 3, Vista has 2, and Seven has 1. Windows 8 probably won't even get a Service Pack.

Windows 2000 had 4, XP 3, Vista is on 2, 7 on 1, Windows 8 will just have big updates now and again.
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:13 PM
  • I got news for you  Windows Vista is unsupported as of 2009 due to the release of Windows 7  there is no SP3 people for Windows Vista  I got news for you

MIke Melvyn

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 8:19 PM
  • I got news for you  Windows Vista is unsupported as of 2009 due to the release of Windows 7  there is no SP3 people for Windows Vista  I got news for you

MIke Melvyn

That is incorrect.  Extended support for Windows Vista with SP2 will continue until 04/11/2017.

Carey Frisch

Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:20 AM
  • vista is supported in extended phase until 11 April 2017 and mainstream support ended 10 April 2012

that rumor of 2009 is false

• Edited by plast0000 Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:35 AM
    Sunday, February 16, 2014 2:35 AM
  • Also Windows 2000 have 4SP, XP 3SP, Vista 2SP,7 1 SP, 8/8.1 0SP, 9 -1SP?
    Monday, March 03, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Windows 95 had 3 Service Releases following the initial release (SR1, SR2, SR2.5), Windows 98 had a second edition.  Windows NT 4.0 had 6 service packs.  It always varies.  You can't really compare them beyond certain limits.

I would be happy with a update rollup for Vista.  I'm sitting here reinstalling a customers Vista computer.  After installing SP2, I'm now waiting on 160 updates totaling nearly 450MB.  If MS would release a update rollup that I could put on CD, it would save us and them considerable bandwidth.

PS: I'm probably going to be doing it all over again on another Vista computer that I working on too. 

• Edited by Frank_Work Friday, March 28, 2014 4:18 PM
    Friday, March 28, 2014 4:17 PM