none
Failure Configuring Windows Updates. Reverting Changes...

Question

• I've been trying to update Windows 7 64-bit for the last month with no success. I have tried almost every "Microsoft Fix It" program from the Microsoft website, and I have even looked into other topics related to this on this forum. None of these solutions have worked, and I would like to keep the data on my computer and avoid formatting my hard drive.

I have my Windows 7 install disc, so I am able to run a repair, but I was hoping that someone that responds to this issue would be able to assess my problem directly by the error code provided.

A little more information to help:

After downloading and installing the updates on my computer I follow the prompt to restart my computer. The process reaches 15%, shuts down and restarts. Upon restarting the process again reaches 15%, hesitates for a moment, then gives me the error "Failure Configuring Windows Updates. Reverting Changes..." The system then reboots a second time, says "Configuring windows updates" reaches 35% and then it seems to bypass the process and start normally. I check for updates on Windows Updates and all of the updates that previously failed to install are there for me to install again.

Specific error codes:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2732500)

Installation date: ‎9/‎11/‎2012 10:26 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80071A90

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2732500

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

This same error code is repeated with KB2729094, KB2732487, KB2647753, and KB2722913.

As requested in other topics related to this problem I have uploaded the CBS.log file to my SkyDrive.

If you need any further information to help diagnose my problem, please respond as soon as possible!

Regards,

Josh B.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:12 PM

Answers

• Manually download and install KB2647753 on it’s own and the remaining updates will most likely install with no further problems.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

If you have a number of updates to install break the task of updating into two or more tasks.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:00 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Boot into Clean Boot Mode and run Windows Update again.

2. Follow the steps in Windows Update error 80071A90.

3. Run System Update Readiness Tool.

If issue persists, please upload the latest CBS.log and Windowsupdate.log to SkyDrive and post a link here for further research.

Use SkyDrive to upload collected files.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JoshieBlakeTX Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, please try the following:

1. Boot into Clean Boot Mode and run Windows Update again.

2. Follow the steps in Windows Update error 80071A90.

3. Run System Update Readiness Tool.

If issue persists, please upload the latest CBS.log and Windowsupdate.log to SkyDrive and post a link here for further research.

Use SkyDrive to upload collected files.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

• Marked as answer by JoshieBlakeTX Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Don't ask me how or why, but I tried to run each update individually to see if it was one update that was consistently failing. After running each update individually they all installed successfully and I no longer have the problem.

If, when I update again, I reach this problem again I will refer back to your answer.

Thank you for your help and your time as I know you must be busy answering hundreds of questions!

-Josh

Joshua Blake

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response and glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

If there is anything we could help, welcome back to our forum and start a new thread.

Cheers!

Jeremy Wu

Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:47 AM
  • After initial Windows 7 install, Windows Update came up with over 100 updates. Of course (just like problems encountered with Win XP) there was no way MS WU was going to grab all 100 + updates. So, I cut the number 1/2. It was able to install. However, upon my next attempt to download & install the remainder of the updates, Windows Update displayed that familiar error that JB spoke of above. So I cut that remaining installation in half again. Needless to say this method takes forever. It got to the point of where I got down to 8 updates left. It was stuck there and will not allow multiple (not even 2) downloads at the same time. Thank you JB for your suggestion. I can download 8 updates one at a time - and that method did work. However, at over 100 updates, this is not the practicle way of grabbing updates. I am sure this problem pursists in Windows 8 as well. I could bet all of Bill Gates money on it.
    I am sure this would get fixed if Willy had to suffer through all the unecessary wait time (2 full days). He's just probably too busy counting all of his money though.
    Thanks for the fix JB.
    Monday, September 17, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Just to disable you anti virus in making updates,,you have done in downloading updates but it fails to run. I suspect your firewall and antivirus. 

If this is not helpful,,just give me the result I will help you!!

Thnaks  

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:15 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problem attempting to perform multiple updates at a time. The proposed solution of doing each individual update at a time or a few at a time is time consumeing and makes my windows experience undesireable. Are you seriously considering this a resoluved solution to this problem?
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:53 PM
  • Manually download and install KB2647753 on it’s own and the remaining updates will most likely install with no further problems.

A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.

If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.

If you have a number of updates to install break the task of updating into two or more tasks.

Hope this helps, Gerry

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:00 PM
  • sdd

Updates is not necessarily if good enough to make your system stable.  Depending on your hardware requiremnts of some system updates specially security updates..Now is your updates really needed or you may ignore it..Just focus only on system updates and scurity updates, the rest leave it..

Hope it will help you and mark as helpfull.

Thnkas

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 4:40 AM
  • Same problem here, followed Jeremy's instructions to the letter and hey presto all updates worked fine now (W764).

Many thanks Jeremy.

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:01 AM
  • Thanks Gerry, it worked like a charm. Is it really beyond the wit of Microsoft to come up with such a simple solution to a problem that has been bugging many Windows 7 users for ages (judging from the numerous posts on the subject)? Those responsible could at least monitor solutions suggested by users in order to pass them on to Microsoft customers where they work!
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:09 AM
  • It is a great help for me. i just followed the steps and could update easily after a 10 times failure. Thanks.
    Monday, October 29, 2012 10:57 AM
  • Thanks Gerry, worked like a charm! :-)
    Monday, October 29, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Absolutely spot on Gerry. Many thanks.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:53 PM
  • That worked perfect for me! This was new - out of the box - Lenovo X1 Carbon.

To have problems like this for a brand new computer is completely unacceptable behaviour.

A Shobe

Thursday, November 01, 2012 8:08 PM
  • ...A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update... 

Your suggestion works. Thanks.

But I find it sad because, as you say, if WU is set to automatic, you get stuck into a loop. And, when you first start windows it will (Recommend) to set WU to automatic. A lot of unexperimented customers will stay in that loop, not realizing it, for the rest of their life. If, this does not get fixed in the update list.

Monday, November 19, 2012 7:03 PM
  • Thanks Gerry,

I discovered this forum after a search because my computer had not configured up to 36 updates for the past month.  I tried your solution and it worked like a charm!  It's been a satisfying Thanksgiving Day!

Best wishes,

Michael Wall

• Edited by daocpo Friday, November 23, 2012 5:06 AM
    Friday, November 23, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Please read this post, may it helps

http://www.gotechtips.net/2012/08/fix-failure-configuring-windows-updates.html

Sunday, January 06, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Hi Gerry

Thaaaank you, the manually download and install of the KB2647753 fixed it :-) super.

Brand new Lenovo desktop MT-M 3493 - ESG :-(

Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Thank you so much Gerry. Installing KB2647753 separately did the trick :) I could then install all other updates (approx. 60) in one go.
    Monday, March 11, 2013 10:53 AM
  • Thanks, Gerry.  Your suggestion worked and helped avoid a lot of headaches.
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Gerry,  Thank you for the information.

Considering how long multi-tasking has been around, however, your suggestion that we avoid it during downloads suggests that Win 7 consists of a large scoop of vaporware.

Heck, my machine has six cores and IT can't multitask while updating Dr. Frankengate's latest monstrosity.

If my clients didn't insist on MS Word, I'd move permanently to Ubuntu

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:26 PM
  • can u get into windows at all?
    Friday, October 11, 2013 5:03 AM
  • Thanks Gerry, this was really helpful.  I have been struggling with the same irritating, time consuming problem for months but what a relief that I finally found a solution!  Before I tried your suggestion I was wondering if that update KB2647753 would still solve the problem, a year after you suggested it.  Also, it was not even marked as Important under Windows Updates but as Recommended.  Well, it worked.  After successfully installing that update I had 15 Important updates left to be installed.  They all installed successfully except for one, which I had to install separately.

After that I turned to the Recommended updates and first installed the ones that were named "Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems" in a batch before installing the rest.

Regarding the Settings, I made an additional change to the one you suggested: I un-ticked the check box, "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" under Recommended updates.  I find this quite helpful as it neatly separates the Important updates from the Recommended ones.

Now I would like to know, how did you know that update KB2647753 was the silver bullet that would sort out most of the problems?

And lastly, why does Microsoft not come up with a simple solution to this issue?  It really is a major issue because once you get stuck in a "Failure configuring Windows Updates" loop, it creates a number of related problems:

1) Start-up and shutdown times greatly increase.  In my case shutdown took more than 30 minutes.

2) It runs down the battery if you are using a laptop, because usually one needs to pack away the laptop while the shut-down is still in progress.

3) You just get more and more behind with Windows Updates, potentially exposing your computer to more security threats and other issues.

4) The more you get behind with Windows Updates, the more the start-up and shutdown times increase.

I'm just wondering if Mac users experience the same issues.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:45 PM
  • I also had problem installing over 100 updates after windows 7 reinstall. The difference from Josh B. problem was that after reaching to 15% configuring in restarting process it at least didnt shut down compure. It freezed to almoust an hour and then started reverting updates . Less than half updates were installed after first updating, other were marked failed (I saw it by typing windows update in Start menu search bar and selecting View update history) Then I repeated installing as Josh B. did and it installed several more updates. Finally it sayed that there is no more updates to install, though in View update history many stayed failed. I just ignored this and started to use Windows normally. Installing too much updates isnt indeed a good idea. 

Monday, December 23, 2013 6:04 PM
  • Hello Gerry,

You could pretty much say that I've been dealing with the same issue of downloading my updates the same way what Josh has been going through.

I've read your response to him about uploading the KB2 thing but it shows that I've already downloaded it 2 years ago. And now I cant download the rest of these "important" updates they keep pestering me about.... and i'm so sick and tired of them giving me warnings that my computer is going to restart to be udated but always keeps getting failures. its like its a waste of my time and energy...

any suggestions??? I could really need some...

Thanks for your listening ear.

Steve N.

Friday, April 11, 2014 12:45 AM
  • Steve

What you describe is a totally different problem to the one I posted about before.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your OneDrive (formerly Sky Drive), share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:
    http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Hope this helps, Gerry

Friday, April 11, 2014 6:50 AM
  • thanx Gerry, this really helped me.
    Friday, June 20, 2014 2:12 PM