none
Corrupt C drive

Question

• I have been attempting to a) run System Restore and b) Backup
    a) the messages that come up are
    "The disk Local Disk (C:) has errors.
    Windows has detected file system corruption on Local Disk (C:). You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored."

and this is followed by...
    Windows can't check the disk while it's in use.
    Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you start your computer?"
    I am unable to set a date/time for such a check. No such check takes place when I start. I have run chkdsk. I have run antivirus etc. I have been unable to set a restore point because 'the C: drive has not been checked'.
    b) I cannot run a backup because I get the message that 'the local disk (C:) is corrupt'
    What do I do next?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Generally, we can't perform backup and CHKDSK on the system disk which is in use. To check disk errors we need to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts.

Moreover, disk error may be related to hardware defect, I would like to provide some common troubleshooting here. If it doesn't resolve your problem, I may need to suggest that you also contact hardware manufacturer for support.

1.     Run a SFC /SCANNOW Command to fix system file corruptions.

1)     Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.

2)     Run SFC /SCANNOW command.

2.     Run CHKDSK /F command, I noticed above that CHKDSK didn't run at startup.  To troubleshoot this kind of issue, please visit the following website.

How to Fix CHKDSK will Not Run at Startup in Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130824-chkdsk-will-not-run-startup-vista.html

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

If it CHKDSK can't run in Normal Mode, try to run it in Safe Mode or from Windows PE.

3.     Perform a System Repair with DVD installation disc.

How do I use Startup Repair

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 3:43 AM