none
Migrate from Win7 to Vista Ult 64b fails, says find a valid file to open

Question

• Ive read how many folks have various problems with the migration wizard, and Ive tried a few basic things.

The old pc was win7 enterprise evaluation edition in 64b? new pc vista ultimate 64b.  i waited too long and the license expired on the win7 machine and at this time, cannot yet purchase the new license (as expected). 

the windows easy transfer started and ran fine; the first one was near 100GB of backup data, and the win7 machine can only stay on for several minutes;  reduced it to 72G and that one only got part way; did about 17G and that one made it thru but on the vista side, it would not accept the file and strange, it doesnt say the file is bad or what, it just says use the browse feature to find the file to use and click next.  trying several times it just says open a valid migration file.  well it SHOULD be a valid mig file, the other win7 was up to date and didnt complain of any errors; why is the vista side now complaining??

Im spoiled with windows, expecting there be some indication of how to proceed here, but all it says is find a valid file

one forum post said to create a working directory in the %user%appdata/whatever path and i did that, now its got some log files there one is in xml, i noted the phrase "the librarian has invalid data! "  whats a librarian to a computer?

Question is why doesnt Windows Easy Transfer work, and how to tune it up and change the flat tire so it can get back on the road again?

is it failing because the win7 license ran out?

ok thats strange, i went back to the path where those files were to dig out the xml that had the above reference error, and all the folders are gone...  a few minutes ago i had tried running easy migration by clicking start and typing easy mig  and it came up and i hit enter.  it started but said "easy migration failed and will now close"  but i hadnt even tried it this time.    there is something fishy in Sweden.

EDIT: i had opened the xml file in internet explorer and it was still open, here is some of the message in the xml:

<z:row Cls="D" Sev="33554432" Maj="Def" Min="Def" LN="496" Fil="" Fun="Mig::CMediaManager::SelectTransport" Uid="34079459" Msg="SelectTransport: OpenDevice failed with Exception: class Mig::DeviceException: Win32ErrorException: Error(87), CIMGTransport::OpenDevice - librarian has invalid data!. void __cdecl Mig::CMediaManager::SelectTransport(unsigned int,struct Mig::IDeviceInitializationData *,int,int,int,unsigned __int64) void __cdecl Mig::CIMGTransport::OpenDevice(struct Mig::IDeviceInitializationData *,int,int,int,int,unsigned __int64)" PID="2704" TID="4092" Con="" Exe="C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\migwiz.exe" Mod="migcore.dll" Err="0" MD="" DT="2011-03-26T15:17:39" />
      <z:row Cls="D" Sev="33554432" Maj="Def" Min="Def" LN="250" Fil="" Fun="SelectTransportInternal" Uid="34079516" Msg="SelectTransportInternal("LIB: Path(E:\Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computer22.MIG)") caught exception = class Mig::DeviceException: Win32ErrorException: Error(87), CIMGTransport::OpenDevice - librarian has invalid data!. enum MIGSTATUS __cdecl SelectTransportInternal(enum TransportID,struct Mig::IDeviceInitializationData *,int,int,int,unsigned __int64) void __cdecl Mig::CMediaManager::SelectTransport(unsigned int,struct Mig::IDeviceInitializationData *,int,int,int,unsigned __int64) void __cdecl Mig::CIMGTransport::OpenDevice(struct Mig::IDeviceInitializationData *,int,int,int,int,unsigned __int64)" PID="2704" TID="4092" Con="" Exe="C:\Windows\System32\migwiz\migwiz.exe" Mod="migcore.dll" Err="0" MD="" DT="2011-03-26T15:17:39" />

• Edited by Brad R Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:55 PM found some info
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 10:43 PM

All replies