none
Cannot play Flight Simulator X and cannot install Flight Simulator X: Acceleration expansion on windows 7 ultimate (x64)

Question

• Hi guys
    I have been trying to install microsoft flight simulator x since yesterday and I was having errors all the time. (It was giving an error about Simconnect) and after doing some research, I resolved it by installing SDK and Simconnect manually, but now I have another problem...

Whenever I click fsx.exe it says "This version of the file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check your system information to determine if you need 32 bit or 64 bit version of the file and contact the publisher of the software"

Also, I cannot install Acceleration expansion pack. As I click "setup" it says "Flight Simulator X: Acceleration requires english version of Flight Simulator X" and it quits installation. By the way I already have the english version of the game.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (x64).
    I have Nvidia Geforce GTX 260, Intel Core i5 750, 4GB of DDR3 1333 RAM
    I also use Norton Internet Security 2010

I wish I can find a solution here.
    • Edited by Ali Sarıaltun Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:57 AM Added anvitirus information
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 7:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This game is kind of out-dated. I suggest run the Program in Compatibility Mode and check the result. In addition, better disable all running software when launching the game.

1. Right click on the program's shortcut, .exe file, or installation program.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.  NOTE: If the Compatiblity options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed

4. To Run a Program in Compatibility Mode -
    NOTE: Runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows. Try this setting if you know the program is designed for (or worked in) a specific previous version of Windows.
    A) Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box.

B) Click on the drop down menu arrow and select which version of Windows the program was made for. Suggest the one that it used to work.
    NOTE: Always pick the latest Windows version the program was written for to have a better chance of it running properly in Windows 7.

5. To Change the Settings for a Program -
    A) Check or uncheck the settings you want for the program.

6. To Change the Privilege Level of a Program -
    NOTE: Runs the program as an administrator. Some programs require administrator privileges to run properly. If you are not currently logged on as an administrator, this option is not available.
    A) Check or uncheck the Run this program as an administrator box to enable or disable this option. 

7. To Change All of These Settings Above for All Users -
    NOTE: Lets you choose settings that will apply to all users on this computer.
    A) Click on the Change settings for all users button.
    B) Repeat steps 4, 5, and 6 in this window to apply them to all users on the computer. 

C) Click on OK.
    8. Click on OK to apply the changes.

Monday, February 01, 2010 6:50 AM
  • thank you very much for the informative and descriptive response. I have tried running this game as an administrator and the compatibility set to windows xp sp3 and sp2 and I even tried vista, it still gives an instant error as I click the fsx or fs9 or fs2000 or any of them. Also, I know that this game is compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit versions of windows 7 as some of my friends do play it.
    Monday, February 01, 2010 8:28 AM
  • As you mentioned, Norton Internet Security 2010 was insatlled. To avoid any conflict with the software running background, I suggest boot into clean boot and install it again:

Clean Boot
    =============
    This method will disable loading program or service from start up to avoid conflict

1. Click "Start",and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
    2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
    4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
    5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.
    6. Check whether or not the issue still appears in this environment. 
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:12 AM
  • In addition, make sure you have all the latest update.

During my own research, the root cause could be missing data in the registry. It uses the data in the registry to find the installation directory and the language.dll file. It checks the version information in language.dll to make sure it has the same language as the Win7 installer; otherwise, you’d end up with a broken mix of localized content.) The following steps applied for windows xp2 and it fixes the english version error, hope it adds some tips on it:

1.Start RegEdit.
    2.On 32-bit operating systems, open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ microsoft games\ flight simulator\ 10.0 key in the left pane.
    On 64-bit operating systems, open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Wow6432Node\ Microsoft\ Microsoft Games\ Flight Simulator\ 10.0 key in the left pane.
    3.Choose Edit|New|String Value.
    4.Replace New Value #1 by typing SetupPath.
    5.Double-click SetupPath and in the Value data box, type the full directory path where you installed or copied Flight Simulator X.

Apart from that, new account also worth a try.

Create a new user account
    ============
    1. Click the Start Button, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click switch to a Classic View in left panel.
    3. Double-click User Accounts.
    4. Click Manage another account.
    Note: Please click Continue if the User Account Control (UAC) window prompts.
    5. Click "Create a new account".
    6. Type in the account name and select choose an account type (For Example: Administrator or Standard user). Then, click Create Account.

Thursday, February 04, 2010 4:45 AM
  • wow, this looks like a real solution to me. I will try it as soon as I get home back. Thank you very much for this informative explanation. The error appears so quickly, without waiting etc. and it makes me think there is something missing in the registry too, but I just couldn't name it. I hope this will solve the problem, I will reply again when I go home and try this solution. Thank you very much

edit: I had tried creating a new account before but it didn't make any difference, however I haven't tried the solution you gave about the new registry key. It looks promising :D
    Thursday, February 04, 2010 7:32 AM
  • Yes, this works!

I was just going crazy..

Thank you so much.

Bye.

Monday, April 26, 2010 5:56 PM
  • yes this works i like to thank you lol been trying to solve the problem on win7 32bit now tht i hav changed the stuff in regedit it is now installing XD
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:13 PM
  • hei i had a similar problem what you need to do re install win 7 and get it to be version 32 bit NOT 64 and its ok
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 11:58 AM
  • This my or may not be exactly related to your question but it worked for me and I was able to install the Acceleration expansion.

What finally worked for me when I tried to install MSFSX Gold Edition was I copied FS disk 1 to my desktop.  Then I copied the contents of FS disk 2 and put the files in the same folder.  When you are asked if you want to replace the files with the same name on both disks say no.  This has seemed to work well for me when nothing else did.

I haven't read about anyone doing this exactly so it's my own little invention/workaround as far as I know. Hope it works for anyone who can't get it to work any other way.

System:
    Asus G50v-t
    Intel Core 2 Duo Centrino 2, 2.26GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 9800m GS 512mb
    4 Gb Ram
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Saturday, October 01, 2011 8:02 PM
  • Hi I was told to go here.

Hi I can install and play Flight Simulator on my PC running Win 7-64.

The problem is that i can not install the expansion pack. I get the following error:

Error reading from file

H:Games/Scenery/cities/Edwards_afb/KEDW_Photo.bgl

Verify that the file exist and that you can acces it.

Well it is there i can not open it though.

Help appriciated

Friday, March 23, 2012 12:46 PM

The problem is that i can not install the expansion pack. I get the following error:

Error reading from file

Help appriciated

Flight Simulator X Acceleration pack is not a Windows 7 feature and has its own support forum.

Please post your problem @
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X:%20Acceleration&askingquestion=false

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/cannot-install-microsoft-flight-simulator-will-not/418bcb82-c2b6-401e-accb-9b156c5cefc4

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 23, 2012 1:39 PM

Error reading from file

Help appriciated

Flight Simulator X Acceleration pack is not a Windows 7 feature and has its own support forum.

Please post your problem @
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=Microsoft%20Flight%20Simulator%20X:%20Acceleration&askingquestion=false

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-gaming/cannot-install-microsoft-flight-simulator-will-not/418bcb82-c2b6-401e-accb-9b156c5cefc4

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Where cant find it

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:05 PM
  • What can't you find?

Both links above are working links.

Friday, March 23, 2012 3:09 PM