none
File Transfer/Copy to External USB Hard Drive Extremely Slow

Question

• After a fresh reboot I can transfer the first 700-1000 MB to my USB Hard drive or Flash Drive quite quickly but then it begins to dramatically slow down to a trickle.

I have a HP Touchsmart 300:

Windows 7 64 bit (build 7600)

AMD Athlon II X3 400e

AMD M780G Chipset with ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics

Backing up my internal 500 GB Drive or copying multiple small or large files is impossible due to the time it takes.

I have tried:

- the Nvidia Hotfix for USB problems

- reducing the 4 GB RAM Work Around Solution (truncatememory)

- to copy the files in SAFE mode.

- remote Differential Compression

- "optimize for performance" policies on the external drives

None of these steps have helped.

Please advise if a solution has been found for this. Thanks.

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm the following questions:

1. What kind of file did you copy from Flash drive to the machine, video, document or other files? Does the issue occur when copying other files?

2. How do you know the transferring speed? Have you installed any speed monitoring software?

To troubleshoot the issue, please also try the following steps.

1. Upgrade the Chipset driver and Motherboard driver.

2. Reinstall USB Controllers

3. Run Check Disk to fix disk errors.

If the issue persists, I suggest you plug the removal drive to another machine to check the result.

Thanks,

Novak

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Hello Novak,

Some answers for your questions.

1. Actually I'm trying to copy files from my internal hard drive to an external drive (boths a USB FLASH and a 1 terabyte WD external Hard Disk) and not the other way around. I have had problems with mp3 mkv and mp4 files. When the total size of file or batch group of files reaches about 1GB (more or less) the speed begins to decrease.

2. The speed is stated in the Windows Explorer Popup which is shown when files are transfering.

3. Chipset is the most current available. I have checked.

4. I haven't tried to reinstall USB controllers as I'm not sure how to. My computer was manufactured only 6 months ago.

5. I have tried the External Hard Drives and Flash drives on machines operating Windows XP and did not experience this problem.

Thanks.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:46 AM
  • Update I visited HP's support webpage for my computer model: Touchsmart 300 1025uk, and verified that I have all the latest downloads for drivers (USB etc.)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:53 AM
  •  

Hi,

To reinstall USB Controllers, please refer to the following article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/7f86a02d-299a-4c0f-b589-f7bdbdc7b7af

If the issue persists, I suggest you perform a System Restore to a state before the issue happens.

Regards,

Novak

Friday, May 21, 2010 6:18 AM
  • I reinstalled the USB Drivers but the issue persists. Transfer speed starts at around 50 MB/sec and then steadily decrease every couple of seconds to less than 1MB/sec.

I have always had this issue so a System Restore won't help in this situation - There is no going back before the problem.

Friday, May 21, 2010 4:27 PM